HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Blown clutch in Arkansas

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blown clutch in Arkansas

Need help in a hurry. I transport loads all across the US. My truck is a 06 Dodge 3500 with a 5.9 and a G56 manual trans. The clutch disk broke the center out taking out the flywheel with it. I had it towed to a repair shop and they say it is going to take a week or two to get a new clutch and going to be $1500 plus parts. They are talking another $1500 for a clutch. The clutch was replaced before with one that has the flywheel bolting directly to the crank shaft. It is a 13 inch clutch. They already have the truck apart but can not find a clutch anywhere. I need to get back on the road as soon as possible as I have my daughter with me and she will need to be back to school and I still have a delivery to make in Florida. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I`m trapped without any wheels at a motel in Arkansas.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang2mach1
Need help in a hurry. I transport loads all across the US. My truck is a 06 Dodge 3500 with a 5.9 and a G56 manual trans. The clutch disk broke the center out taking out the flywheel with it. I had it towed to a repair shop and they say it is going to take a week or two to get a new clutch and going to be $1500 plus parts. They are talking another $1500 for a clutch. The clutch was replaced before with one that has the flywheel bolting directly to the crank shaft. It is a 13 inch clutch. They already have the truck apart but can not find a clutch anywhere. I need to get back on the road as soon as possible as I have my daughter with me and she will need to be back to school and I still have a delivery to make in Florida. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I`m trapped without any wheels at a motel in Arkansas.
----------------------------------------
Try calling Scheid Diesel in Terre Haute, Indiana. Their toll free number is:
1-800-669-1593. They keep many clutches for those transmissions in stock and have access to other companies that supply them also.

Another good company is "Standard Transmissions and Gear." Their toll free
number is: 1-800-783-8726.

Good luck Sir!

----------
John_P
Old 12-29-2013, 07:44 AM

$1500 plus parts, be worth a tow to another shop.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I can get one to you, we have them in the DTR Performance Shop
Old 12-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mustang I swear you just pm'd me. if you had a southbend the pilot bearing came out and caused the disk to slide around between the flywheel and pressure plate, the movement finish shearing the rivets off. and you can freely turn the center portion of the disk, yours maybe different bust most times the rivets holding the center shear before the rivets holding the pads eat the flywheel. look at the parts first, the southbend has a ball bearing instead of a bushing like stock. most southbend sold use the conofe disk, it has a greay/black pad on one side and a dark brown on the other. the bearing is 1.75" outside diameter. if indeed the flywheel is damaged and can not be resurfaced then call lary ellis and see what he has. if it is a southbend you can get a special built disk for $350 and the labor should be around $500 for a 4x4. send a pix of the flywheel to me and lary and we can tell you what to do.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 PM

carl48 yes I did message you and the center or the friction disk actually snapped dropping the springs out and took out the pilot shaft bearing and putting deep groves in the flywheel. the disk was getting a little low on meat but not a single rivet was even rubbed.

I do tend to pull extremely heavy loads Sometimes 40K lbs +. I load I was pulling when broke down was about 28K lbs.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I replied before I read this. the rivets holding the center section sheared into. not as uncommon as you would think. lary ellis or southbend can get you a kit by morning. do not trust the mechanic you have to get the proper parts.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 AM

I managed to get ahold of Texas Diesel Shop and got my hands on a Southbend double disk setup. Hade to get rental car and drive to the warehouse in Dallas to get it. Nobody would deliver any sooner than the 3rd do to new years. So hopefully tomorrow the shop will have it all back together in the morning. I really hate Arkansas 75 busk to get a taxi to go get a rental car and then a $1000 hold on my card to rent a car for $56. Shop tried to tell me that the single disk version of this same clutch I bought was going to cost me $2500. Lets face it these guys are just out to rip me off because I'm from out of town. One guy in their shop had the ***** to offer me $1500 for my truck. Once I get my truck back I plan to tell everyone the shop name. I don't need them messing up my truck and they seem like the type that would do it!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 AM

The clutch that was in the truck didn't shear any rivets! it ripped the steel around the springs! Looked like the steel just shattered. I don't know what brand the old clutch was but I'll try to post pictures when I can.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:38 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Originally Posted by mustang2mach1
I really hate Arkansas 75 busk to get a taxi to go get a rental car and then a $1000 hold on my card to rent a car for $56. Shop tried to tell me that the single disk version of this same clutch I bought was going to cost me $2500. Lets face it these guys are just out to rip me off because I'm from out of town. One guy in their shop had the ***** to offer me $1500 for my truck. Once I get my truck back I plan to tell everyone the shop name. I don't need them messing up my truck and they seem like the type that would do it!
This really lights my fire!!!! Some folks are in it solely for the money.....what ever happened to self-respect and wanting to treat people right????? I hate to wish bad things on anyone, but people, and shops, like that should have to close their doors and go find another line of work!

I hope you get it all straightened out and for a decent price. Keep us posted on how it turns out.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Some shops don't care they put a 15% mark up on parts or more. I hope they get it right make sure they read the directions that come with it or have them print them off.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:38 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Hope he got back on the road.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Ok I made it back on the road! But it wasn't cheap. After the shop looked the parts were not available but they could part it together with parts form here and there and said it was going to take 2 weeks to get the parts and that the parts were going to cost just over $2000 I were back to my motel and found the parts for $1300. Had to spend $75 to get a taxi to take me over to get a rental car and drove to get the parts from Dallas Texas. Next morning at 8:30 I dropped the new clutch of at the repair shop. Still took them till 4:30 to put the clutch in. The shop charged me $1900.80 for the job and didn't put the new master and slave cylinder in! The kit came with the clutch for a reason. Anyways I asked why the bill was so high for a job that was only to be an 8.5 book hours job. They said that they had to bill me for the research time they spent to find the clutch parts. So long story short It cost me over $4000 by the time it was over and I put the upgraded master and slave cylinder in! I will never take anything to Hodges heavy Duty truck repair again. They are only out to rip people off and yes they are going to be reported to the BBB.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:58 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Dang, I posted a few days ago but it didn't take.
Glad you are back on the road. Do report it to the BBB but don't expect anything done about it.
Because of libel concerns the BBB is pretty useless until a whole bunch of people complain (at least that's the way it works up here).