HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Bad VP44?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bad VP44?

Hello all, the truck below has 48000 miles and some change. The lift pump was replaced about 6000 miles ago from the dodge dealer with the orginal design. I have changed the fuel filters every 8000 miles and the truck is now making a surging sound when the engin is warm, but is not changing rpms. I belive the VP44 is going out. I am waiting the 30 minutes right now to check codes. My question is: If the vp44 is bad and the lift pump is good, will dodge just replace the vp44 or with they want to install the in-tank lift pump? I really don't want them to change the lift pump design. I want (and will) change the lift pump to a FASS system. I just the the vp44 replaced.

I know I need gauges and will be getting them really soon.

Side note and possible problem #2. Sometimes with I turn on the lights and the temp. is colder than 30 degrees, the headlights will not turn on untill I half way turn on the high beams. After this, every thing is ok. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 01-08-2006, 09:04 PM
RCW

Cold engine surging can simply be a case of the fuel and manifold heaters cycling in cold weather. If the engine is only changing load and not changing rpms, I would not worry about it, as it is just the alternator loading and unloading.

One other thing, it can also be the air conditioning compressor cycling when running or when the defrosters are on.

Given your mileage, and maintenance cycle, I would not worry about the VP failing unless you drove it in hot weather with a failed lift pump, or are pulling heavy loads all the time. I have seen original VP's go 150,000 miles on rigs that are cared for, and I have seen them fail every 30,000 miles on rigs that are worked really hard.

Surging with rpm changes (which you say you do not have) can be a host of issues other than the fuel injection pump going bad. The 2002 is new enough that the codes it generates will pretty well nail any real fuel system problem. The catch is that you need the scan tool used by a Dodge dealer, as the others only read a few generic codes, and the do-it-yourself cycle method of reading the dash light is pretty much a waste of time if you do not work on them all the time and know what to listen for.

As far as replacement of the lift pump with the in-tank version, that is unlikely unless the lift pump is generating a failure code. Then it is still up to each dealer, depending on what they have in stock or in the regional warehouse.

The headlight issue is a common problem. It needs a new high/low switch, and while you are paying the labor to get it out of the column, go ahead and spring for a new key switch. The original kew switches are trouble prone, too and the big labor cost will already be spent on pulling the cover to get to the high/low selector.

You are headed on the right track getting gauges. A fuel pressure gauge is critical, and it is also helpful to have a pyrometer to read exhaust gas temperatures to diagnose fuel system probems.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:57 PM

What RCW said, sounds as if he knows his stuff. If your vp44 is actually bad and you have not checked fuel pressure it's likely that the lift pump is bad as well. I don't think that dodge would change out a $1200 injection pump under warranty and let you out of the shop with a bad lift pump!! Let them do their warranty work and get your guages. There is nothing wrong with the stock fuel system in a stock truck as long as you can be sure of good pressure. I recently had my lift pump replaced and at my dealer they are not doing the in tank pump at this time on anything earlier that 03 trucks except by request and I think they would have the customer pay any extra costs.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:43 AM

Before I unpluged the batteries, the truck was throwing the bad VP code. After I let is sit for about 1 hour, the truck is throwing P0500 code.

When the lift pump was replaced before, it wasn't dead. I was getting ready to drag the trailer on a long trip and wanted it checked out. The pump was just under the spec. for the quanty test.

Now, it only surges when the truck is warm and is repeatable. It is very noticable when the rpms are holding steady over 2000 rpms.

Thanks for the quick replys and I feel better the dealers are not always installing the in-tank lift pumps. I would rather install a FASS pump and guages or a vulcan kit.

Thanks again,

Joe
Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 AM

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor 1 Circuit, or No Vehicle Speed Reference Signal 1
Old 01-09-2006, 10:58 AM

FYI When my first vp44 failed it was electrical and the symptoms were decreased fuel mileage and a very slight power fluctuation at part throttle between 1800 and 2000 rpm. It did this for 5000 miles before the cel light came on. I called the dealer because I was 500 miles from home and he said if it's running ok and the stock instruments look ok drive it "it's probably just a loose fuel cap or something". The code cleared before I returned from the trip. The next long trip the same thing happened and I got on the internet and found this site. Then I was able to pull the codes off the odometer and found the dead vp code. It was warrantied by the dealer without problem. The vp that they installed seemed ok except once in a while it would start a little hard. That became more pronounced and now with 20 k on it they have just warrantied it again. There were no codes with the only symptom being fuel pressure fluctuation that I picked up with my guages. The dealer first changed the lift pump but the hard start issue was still there. The new lift pump actually is down about a pound from the one that it replaced and I believe I have a problem with my ecm however no one else shares that opinion. I can't troubleshoot it very much without throwing more codes so for now I will leave it alone and let the warranty process take care of any problems. It would have cost a lot to clear up the problems without the warranty!! It My dealer has been very fair with me and has been good to work with. Some of them are not, so be careful with mods until you are out of warranty. Bottom line protect that warranty unless you have alot of ready cash!!!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:38 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help so far. I will return the truck to the dealer and have them check it out. I have to wait untill Friday now to return the truck. I was told this morning I have to go on a business trip untill late Thurday. I will post the results once the dealer looks at it.

For mods, I am planning to install guages and either a vulcan or Scotty fuel line system untill I am out of warranty. Then, it is "game on!"

Thanks again,

Joe
Old 01-18-2006, 07:38 AM

Update!! My VP44 is Dead!!

Thanks all again for the help!

Update: My truck just came from the dealer. They are replacing the VP44 without replacing the lift pump. (no in-tank mod for me!! ) I think they didn't look at the lift pump since they replaced it about 6000 miles ago.

When I get it home, I think I am going to replace the lift pump myself to be sure it is getting enough fuel and keep the one in it as a spare. ( I am working on getting gauges right now )

I asked my service manager if the Vulcan lift pump relocation mod will void the warranty. He said he doesn't think so, since it re-uses the OEM lift pump. I am going to print off the info from their web site and bring it to him to ensure I am good to go before I mod the truck.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again,

Joe