HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

2005 3500

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 3500

I am having extreme overheating problems with the rear end on my 3500 dually. I am trying to pull a gooseneck trailer with 13500. gross weight of trailer and load. I bought this truck new 2 months ago and i have tried to pull with it twice. The first time I made it about 125 miles before it bubbled the paint on the rear chunk, abs and brake lights came on and it stunk something awful. I took it back to the dealership and they replaced the entire rearend only took about a week and I must say i thought it was excellent service. They told me to give the new rear a 500 mile break in period before I pulled anything with it. I drove it around about 10 days and put about a1000 miles on it. I made it about 100 miles on the second trip when it overheated and bubbled the paint. the limited slip clutches had gotten hot and tried to bind up making a bad noise when i tried to make a turn. Took it back to the dealership. they tore it down , cleaned it up , replaced fluid, painted cover and told me not to worry just drive it. I got to deliver another machine this week it is a 500 mile pull one way and I don't have any trust in this vehicle making it. I have finished delivering the machines on the other 2 trips with my old 99 f-350 (250,000 miles) I know that if it can pull these loads the dodge should not have nay problems with it either. IS there a problem with the rearends on these trucks? Am I overloading it ? Geez I bought the new truck so we wouldn't have problems. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I spend a lot of time on this board and this is the first time I've heard of this problem. Especially twice in a row. Since it did happen twice in a row I'm wondering if they actually replaced the unit the first time or just doctored it up.

You are definitely not overloading it

I pull a trailer every day (although not as heavy as yours) and the paint on my differential housing hasn't changed.

FYI these differentials don't have clutches. They use a gear system to transfer power during a slip.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just was told that about the clutches by someone else today . The sad thing is the mechanic at the dealership told me that was the problem yesterday. And then he added 2 small bottles of some ant slip tratment to the rearend, I guess he just was telling me some bs. I have to deliver one of these ice machines we build every week and just don't have the time or money to deal with this kind of bs out of a brand new vehicle bought soley to deliver these machines . Man I feel like I have been had , expecially when the dealership guys aren't telling you correct information.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never ever ever believe what someone from a dealer tells you. Just like you never ever believe what a realtor or a lawyer tells you. They are born and raised to lie. That's how they make their money.