HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

2001 cummins no fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 cummins no fire

Truck is a 2001 5sp cummins
air intake,exhaust, edge injectors ,edge juice with attitude.
I have no lift pump I use a pusher pump.

Ok 2 months ago we took a trip and I thought my fass to a dump on the trip.Juice was reading 3psi so I pulled over and called my mom to run to myt house and get my other pump. I put in a used holly blue that I used in my boat(gas and it was empty) to get us down the road.Truck started and ran fine with no power loss.The pressure seems to read kinda weird sometimes 12 other times 30 according to the edge.I got back in town turned the truck off and went into the store,then came out and no fire.I had to use some starting fluid to get it to light,i had my camper on so towing wasnt a option.Read all the codes I had 1693 and 0122.I figured since this truck has 130k it was more then likely the vp44.Ordered one up and put it in as well as a new cam sensor.It started up after bleeding it a bit and ran fine.Shut it off and it wouldnt fire again.Tried a tin spit of starting fluid and it fires and runs perfect.Ive never used starting fluid other then the first time and that was a emergency.Even with the old pump the power was not down like I would think it would of been,it actually seemed to run fine.The tach is moving so I dont think its a crank sensor.As far as I know the APPS would effect the starting,but im not sure.I still have the P1693 P0122 as well as a P0500.Im at my wits end with this.If I dont get this thing figured out before our vacation I may be living in the camper.Shes was understanding bout the pump but I cant keep throwing 1000s at guesses.Any ideas would sure help.Thanks Aaron
Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would check your fuel first and fore most our trucks are notorious for faulty readings on the needle ask me how I know . Second what I would do is bench test your fuel pumps both of them one regarless of what the edge says its digital it can fail too and get a good mechanical pressure reading on them. Third I would check for any cracked or slipped off fuel lines or pin wholes in the metal lines. It sounds like to me its loosing prime by sucking air. Fourth and final how long has it been since you changed the fuel filter? first sign of funny fuel psi readings I would normally change the filter first. For the motors sake please please do not use starter fluid ever again if the grid heaters were to light and you stuck either in there it would/will blow the head off the motor and you do not want that.

P0122 (M) Throttle Position Sensor Voltage Low Throttle position sensor input below the acceptable
voltage range.

P0500 (M) No Vehicle Speed Sensor Signal A vehicle speed signal was not detected

P1693–dtc Detected In Companion Module