Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

WVO through a sock

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 04:56 AM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WVO through a sock

Just got told today by a nice cute college student who says she has done this that its possible to run WVO in a diesel engine as long as you strain it through a sock befor putting it in the gas tank. Wow, this is the level of college education out there... I fear for our country.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:14 AM

Whiskey, Vodka and Orange juice ????

PISTOL
Old 07-12-2005, 05:44 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We used to strain torpedo fuel (pure grain alcohol for the Mk 14 and 16) thru a loaf of bread to remove the stuff "they" put in it to keep us from drinking it. Tastes pretty good mixed with a bit of grapefruit juice.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, at least she has the nice and cute part going for her!!

Shortround,

Sheesh, you guys really are a different breed!! Torpedo fuel strained through a loaf of bread and mixed with grapefruit juice?!?! I think I have heard it all!! So, who got to eat the bread?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:19 AM

That explains alot!

shortrounddrinkstorpedofuelanddoesntcomeupforair
Old 07-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Muted User

Best part of it was when she started arguing with me about how you can run Waist Vegitable Oil through a diesel engine and you didnt have to do anything but strain it through a sock before putting it in the tank. After all she had a diesel engine run after she did that.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:37 PM

Ho Ho Hose. Sock it to me. Laugh all you want, I do every time I pass a gas station. It may not be quite as simple as she made it out to be but it is not a big deal either.
I simply filter mine through an old pant leg then pour it into my specially heated and filtered system and drive away. Nearly 20k miles on WVO so far. I fill up my diesel tank once every other month on this daily driver. Approaching 3000 miles on my last tank of diesel and still have about 1/8th of a tank left. Well over 100 miles per gallon of diesel. Laugh about that! There are hundreds of us burning WVO, give it a try, you too might like it. Check out these forums;
http://www.frybrid.com/forum/index.php?
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/frm/f/159605551
Ken
Old 07-12-2005, 03:41 PM

how does it affect your performance though?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Muted User

Oh I know its possible, but dont you have to be carefull of the type of WVO you use? I have been looking into this for quite some time now, but have come to the conclusion that I like the idea of brewing my own biodiesel since its a bit safer for the engine. To may factors like salt in the oil bonding with water getting into the engine, particles that need to be filtered out. Things that I would rather do in my garage then in the truck while going down the road, though greasel.com does have a nice set up.

for performance with biodiesel you see a loss in HP and gas milage. Biodiesel has a lower BTU then dino diesel by about 30K BTU's. Other then that, it lubricates better, and runs cleaner. With the differance in BTU's you see about 2-5% differance in the MPG and HP.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:50 PM

Preformance?

I get 18-20 mpg @ 2000prm/60 mph the sweet spot on diesel
With WVO 17-19 mpg @ 2500rpm/75 mph Sweet spot on WVO
Ken
Old 07-12-2005, 03:59 PM

i 've got a buddy running his 91 jetta on WVO. The car is nutless but running on WVO it seems to have more power, he also says he gets about 5mpg more. I think the french fryes are getting to him but IDK.

Coop
Old 07-12-2005, 04:15 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Well, Ken, if you can make it over 100k without coking your injectors and burning your valves, then maybe I need to re-think my stance on straigt VO in a diesel. But 20k miles just isn't a long enough test on a machine that is designed to run 500k, in my opinion.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:21 PM

yea i agree with you alec. i personally would rather pay little by little, than having to pre-kill my truck.....but i hope it keeps on workin out good for ya
Old 07-12-2005, 06:01 PM

It is experimental

There is NO QUESTION that this is experimental. My truck is paid for, the warrantee has long expired, I'm a pretty good mechanic. So I figured "What the Heck" lets see how it goes. All the arguements sited on this thread are valid and I don't blame anyone for being shy in trying such an experiment on their truck. I had the head off just at the start of this conversion and plan to pull it again after a year, (this Sept) to check for wear and tear. I'll take pictures and post them, good or bad. Should have around 25k on it by then. Stay tuned, I believe all will be OK.
Later ... Ken Gardner
Old 07-13-2005, 09:38 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I'll take pictures and post them, good or bad. Should have around 25k on it by then.
That would be very interesting. Have you kept any kind of log of what oil you have been burning? My understanding is that it is really the FFA's that are the biggest problem in WVO. Do you do any titration tests, etc. before filtering and burning the oil?

Quick Reply: WVO through a sock