General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Whats the best deal you've got

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 04:04 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
In 1985 I went to help a friend clean out one of his friend's garage one Saturday. The place was full of boating stuff. Cruising boat kind of stuff. Finally I asked what was up with it and they took me out behind the house. There was a 42' Ketch in the back yard! It was beautiful and efficient looking, never been in the water. The guy had been working on it for years and had died about 6 months before. Well, I got a fabulous deal on that yacht and lived on it for 18 years. Had to bring in a 60 ton crane to hoist it over the house to get it out of there. Blocked the street off and neighbors came from blocks away to see what was up. Finished it out, rigged it, sailed it for thousands of miles in San Francisco Bay and along the coast, then sailed it to Mexico and back.

Some years ago I went to do a service call at a home and spotted a Lincoln in the garage. The big '69 model with suicide doors, in perfect condition.

The guy said it belonged to a friend that had died and he wanted to get rid of it. I was going to charge him $400. for my work and offered to trade. He was fine with it an we did. The part I installed for him cost me $15. So my cost was $15.

In the same neighborhood I found a perfect Dodge Dart that had been sitting for a while. One day I saw the owner out in the yard and stopped to ask him about it. He said he was on vacation and one of the things on his list was to get rid of the car. I asked him how much and he suggested $50. It stopped me and I didn't know what to say. So I agreed and pulled out the money without even trying to bargain with him! I hopped in and drove it home.

Of course those deals pale in comparison to my wife! Even though she was way more expensive.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't have anything that really compares, but a couple years ago I saw a '82 MB 300TD on CL. The couple who owned it didn't do their own work on it and it was nickel-and-diming them to death. They had the trans rebuilt the year before, and now the car needed a radiator and an alternator. Their mechanic was saying $900 so they were done with the car. I got 'em down to $2k, did the work myself, and drove it for 2 years. I had to do a few little things like an A/C compressor and suspension buffers but the car never let me down. I had a little over $3k in the car total when I sold it this spring for $4k. Spent $3k on my '00 Buick Park Avenue Ultra and kept the extra $1k.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:10 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Now Stan, you still didn't answer my question........
No cows, no horse, no burros, no sacks of corn. She came cheap because she wanted me.

Seriously, no idea, know it was very expensive, but it sure had been worth it. Still adding up the costs. One day you may meet her and then you will understand.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
No cows, no horse, no burros, no sacks of corn. She came cheap because she wanted me.

Seriously, no idea, know it was very expensive, but it sure had been worth it. Still adding up the costs. One day you may meet her and then you will understand.
Yeah they are kinda expensive, but when you get a good one they are worth every penney

I would love to meet you and your lovely Bride
Old 11-01-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the mid 1970's a guy I worked with asked me if I wanted to buy a pistol for $75.00. I said sure. It turned out to be a Belgium Browning Hi Power. Date of mfg. was 1955. it is in really good shape.

At the time I did not know much about guns. Now I'm led to belive it may be a stolen gun. Nobody would sell one of those at that price. I let a friend look at it a couple of weeks after I bought it and he offered me $400.00 for it.

Anybody know how to check to see if it is stolen without contacting the police? I don't want to lose this gun.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Back in 05, bought an 85 vette with a ZZ350 crate motor for $1600 and came with a butt load of parts. (ol ladies husband died and she wanted it gone) got it running and hauled it to Idaho and sold it for $5000.

2 weeks ago bought a $1400 fiberglass hard tonneau cover for my truck for $250. (was still in the crate)

last week scored a new turbo and srt10 hood (still in the box) for some trade work on a buddy's Volvo big truck.

this summer scored a trailer to pull behind the harley with hitch for $600 and had only been on 1 trip when i bought it.

2 years ago bought a Lincoln 255 square wave TIG with 10 gallon water cooler deliverd to my house for $800.

did a roof on my house a couple months ago (was quoted $5400 to redo) and got it done by a Pastor at church and a couple buddies for under $2000.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
asked the parts manager how much he wanted for a Garmin Nuvi 250W that had been on the shelf for a while. (priced at $299 when we first got it) and he yelled out $70! I said PRINT OUT AN INVOICE PLEASE!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by GHerrmann
In the mid 1970's a guy I worked with asked me if I wanted to buy a pistol for $75.00. I said sure. It turned out to be a Belgium Browning Hi Power. Date of mfg. was 1955. it is in really good shape.

At the time I did not know much about guns. Now I'm led to belive it may be a stolen gun. Nobody would sell one of those at that price. I let a friend look at it a couple of weeks after I bought it and he offered me $400.00 for it.

Anybody know how to check to see if it is stolen without contacting the police? I don't want to lose this gun.
Actually $75 was a reasonable price in the '70's. I bet the gun is legit. Counter your friend with $600, at $400 he's ripping you off if it's a nice one.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:42 PM

When I recently ordered my Smarty Jr. and received instead a full Smarty S-06 POD instead and the company that I ordered from said to keep it.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 PM

I get deals EVERY time I go to Lowes!!.. Just so we're clear, I do not attempt in any way to hide or trick the cashiers..
But, these people don't count boards or even look to see if they are all the same, don't bother to scan $300 sinks when its sitting there right in front of them, or a $100 box of pressure treated lumber screws!!.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Chapter President

Has nothing to do with CTD's but the wife and i picked up a reg. black and white paint QH mare "horse" for a grand wife put a little time into her on barrels and about 8 months later the wife turned down a $23,000 sale on her. so a great deal that i didn't get to cash out on.... the wife almost found her another husband that night
Old 11-02-2010, 08:01 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am not sure if this is a good deal or not but here goes;

Been saving for 2 years to get a Diesel. Just got a 2011 Dodge 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Cummins with every option avail. Someone special ordered it and back out. I got it for 46,000 out the door. Spray in bed-liner, Dual rear entertainment, and a 100k bumper to bumper for 7 yrs. Now I will post for recommendations on MODS
Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by Fire Rescue124
Has nothing to do with CTD's but the wife and i picked up a reg. black and white paint QH mare "horse" for a grand wife put a little time into her on barrels and about 8 months later the wife turned down a $23,000 sale on her. so a great deal that i didn't get to cash out on.... the wife almost found her another husband that night
If you had sold her horse you'd have been looking for a new wife.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 PM

bought a VW gti for 3k put 500 into(trans parts and clutch) and sold it for 7k thought that was good, also drove my last car for 2 years-50k and sold it for 1k more then I paid for it.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 PM

Brand new 2007 2500 in May 2008 for $30K out the door, or $20K with a 150,000 mile 2003 2WD, which they sold for 8K.

Quick Reply: Whats the best deal you've got