General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Whats the best deal you've got

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing to do with CTD, but.... 3 years ago, I went into a big name sporting good store to look at getting a new bow. The archery guys were out to lunch, so a gal had to come help me. We looked for a Mathews DXT in 29.5 inch cam. None on the rack. So, she said lets go look in the back. Went to the back room and she yells out, "there's one back here hanging up, did you put a deposit down on one?" I said yup, sure did. She said, "well this one must be yours." Went to the front, paid the cashier $300 bucks cash and was out the door. Feel bad for the poor guy who paid the first $500 of the $800 to hold it. Oh well, my turn to take a little back from this outfit.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by dslpwr81
Nothing to do with CTD, but.... 3 years ago, I went into a big name sporting good store to look at getting a new bow. The archery guys were out to lunch, so a gal had to come help me. We looked for a Mathews DXT in 29.5 inch cam. None on the rack. So, she said lets go look in the back. Went to the back room and she yells out, "there's one back here hanging up, did you put a deposit down on one?" I said yup, sure did. She said, "well this one must be yours." Went to the front, paid the cashier $300 bucks cash and was out the door. Feel bad for the poor guy who paid the first $500 of the $800 to hold it. Oh well, my turn to take a little back from this outfit.
Wow I sure wouldn't be proud of this
Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
dslpwr81, as Lary said.
What if that poor girl had to make up the difference from her meager salary? Sorry, but that is not honest.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM

Theft does not equal a good deal.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:36 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Believe me "Mexstan" I see where you are coming from. Being a US Marine I understand integrity and its extremely important to uphold a certain amount of honesty. I can also tell you that RETAIL prices for most of these Bows are priced at a minimum of 100% over cost. My very good friend has a hunting store and I confirm this all the time and highlight to him to stop taking advantage of his customers. She could have potentially lost her job and that would have been terrible based on the economy of today. Again, not defending the dishonesty but they retail way/way higher than costs.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Mexstan
dslpwr81, as Lary said.
What if that poor girl had to make up the difference from her meager salary? Sorry, but that is not honest.
That is exactly what went through my mind when I read his statement... I pictured a single mother with 2 kids trying to keep her head afloat and now she has to lose a weeks pay or more cause some guy lied to her and ripped her off, or she loses her job completely.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
man I was reading all these sweet deals people were getting and I thought man I gotta start looking for some of these deals. After reading this my first thought was "man thats crappy"
Old 11-04-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought my 01.5 CTD in 05 for $13.7K with 78K miles. Had a couple of dings, but was way below book value. Still think it was a great deal. Stealing is not the same as getting a good deal.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I bought 3 tires at Tire Discounters and got the 4th FREE!!!!

Actually the best "truck deal" was my purchase from the DTR Store. Saved me about $250.00 on my HTT Turbo
Old 11-04-2010, 05:28 PM

Well, I know she didn't get into trouble. I now know her personally to this day and she is still working there. I never told her about it.....Truthfully, I do not fell bad. Not one little bit. Sorry to say boys. I have been burned so many times by this outfit. My own fault for continuing to go back, that I understand. Example number one. I purchased a Bennelli Super black eagle 2 two years ago from them. When it arrived, I drove the 160 miles to pick it up. Drove 160 miles back home. I paid $1599 for it. When I got home, the barrel length was 2 inches shorter than what we ordered. Drove down the next weekend to return it. NOPE! They wouldn’t take it back cause it was a firearm. Only way they would is if I sold back to them as a used gun. I was stuck with a $1599 Bennelli that was not what I ordered. I sold it at a $200 loss. Last year, I purchased a Primos Double Bull Blind. (Dark Horse) Paid somewhere between $300-$400 for it. When they shipped it to my house from the store, the main entrance zipper wasn’t even attached. Called them up and they said I would have to pay a 25% restocking fee since it was a special order, even though it was defective. I bought a display model Lowrance HDS 5 Fish finder/chart plotter unit this year. No box, no papers. I had to purchase the power cord directly from Lowrance cause it was missing. The unit sells for around $700. I got it at $500. Got it home and a new power cord. No worky. I called this sporting good store up and they said, “well, it worked just fine when it was here.“ I said I’m bringing it back. They again would not take the return because it was a display model that I purchased at a good buy. I purchased 2 sets of Binoculars from this outfit. It is there “own” brand of binos. Lifetime warranty on them. Paid $329 a piece. So around $660 for the set. They were cheaply made. Tried to take them back this year cause the eye pieces that have small ball bearings and the would always fall out and the eye piece would come off. Also tried to take them back for an exchange. They said we can’t swap you out because we no longer carry these. I asked for a refund or a different pair. I was denied all. I purchased $3500 worth of Sitka Camo this year. Stupid me for still going back. Instead of shopping around, I paid $600 too much for the entire getup. They said up and down that they had the best buy one could get. Guess that’s what I get for being an idiot. Anyway, some of you can call it stealing………sure, they’ve stole thousands………..from me! Would I have felt bad if she would have gotten into trouble…….100% yes. I would have felt terrible….but she didn’t. I would have had to of went back and made it right. Just like the guy who said Lowes checkout girls forget to see the $300 sink, or some of the other items in the cart. Guess that’s stealing too. If this would have been a Ma & Pop store, no way would I have done this. This is no Ma & Pop place. Again, I don’t feel bad about it. Guess I’m a bad person. I should probably go back and give them their $500 bucks back……cause that was stealing. Bad bad me for taking advantage of them. They would never do such a thing to me. Geeze, what was I thinking.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsl,

Two things I can't figure out.

Nevermind.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Admin Team Leader

You can try to rationalize it all you want, but being a thief is NOT getting a good deal.......The Lowe's thing is similar except there was no criminal intent, the guy put the stuff on the cart and the register worker checked him out, he did not try to steal anything....

You on the other hand did willfully and with deliberation, mislead the salesperson by telling her you paid a deposit on it. You lied, you cheated and you ripped them off....that is the plain and simple truth.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
dsl,

Two things I can't figure out.

Why do you keep doing business with the store in your story? And why is stealing from them a "good deal"?
Well, I wouldn't say stealing from them is a good deal at all. I don't steal. Well, I stole 2 quarters out of a jar from my 2nd grade teacher to buy a paper airplane once, but that’s a different story. To some, this may have been stealing. I don't consider it stealing from them. That may be an ignorant way of thinking, but.... I do think it was a good "deal." I paid $300 for an $800 bow. That’s a good deal....but yes, it was wrong. Very wrong. I have been done wrong numerous times by them. Its ok for them but not for me? Two wrongs don't make a right. That I do agree with, but I can't get over the feeling that I got a little back....that it was my turn. Like I said, if something would have come about with the gal that helped me that day, I would have made it right, but nothing did. Why do I keep going there? The sporting good store here in our local town is even more outrageous. Can't go to them either. Supply and demand here in this town. They can sell at any price they want here and still make sales cause the closest place to here is 160 miles away....which is where I've been talking about. I could buy offline, but only certain items. Not guns. Have to go to "that" particular store that’s 160 miles away. The local shop wants $60 to bring in a gun. No way. The other place that’s 160 miles away has everything in stock and they (were) the only sporting good store around as well. I like to purchase items that I can see in person, other than go online. That’s why I use to go their. Some have said, why don't you just go their, look over the items you want to buy, then go home and buy them online? Cause 320 miles is a long way to drive round trip just to look, ya know. Anyway, like I said...it wasn't the right thing to do, but I still don't feel that bad. Just like when you buy 30 or 40 fishing jigs. Some are a $1 a piece, some are $1.75 a piece. When they ring them up all at a $1, do you say something or not? Everyone that fishes that uses jigs or something similar I can guarantee don't say squat. You laugh and giggle when you get out to the parking lot. I can almost also guarantee that most if not everyone has walked out of a store where a cashier has missed an item or two, and at the time they were ringing it up, you KNEW they missed that item(s). I will say something now, but there have been times in the past where I haven't, and I know most on here have done the same thing. What makes that any different? Your stealing. Everyone’s a Saint when sitting behind a computer screen huh? How is it ok for the store to lie to their customers, make promises, not hold up to their promises and take your money…..is that not stealing?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
You lied, you cheated and you ripped them off....that is the plain and simple truth.
Ya Larry, I do understand that. But this store has "lied, cheated and ripped me off....several times.....that is the plain and simple truth." Read my previous post on the binos. Lifetime is lifetime. Don't tell me 2 years down the road you can't swap me out because you no longer carry these bino's. Eat the $630 bucks. Did they know when they sold me the bino's 2 years earlier they were'nt going to be carrying them down the road and that no refunds would be given? How do I know they didn't send me out the door with a $1599 shotgun knowing it was not what was ordered? How do I know they knew the Lowrance HDS5 fishfinder/chartplotter didn't work....that's why they "couldn't" find the power cord to fire it up in the store. They deserved it. She surely didn't, but the store did.

Last edited by dslpwr81; 11-04-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added
Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Many years ago I was at a Jeep meeting and we were going to sell raffle tickets to win a $1000 Warn winch. One club member bought a pack of tickets and tossed them across the table to me and said "Put your name on all these"
Well long story short, I won the raffle and wasn't even present for it. Another buddy heard them call my name and claimed it for me and then delivered it to my house that night!

Bought an old Honda Magna motorcycle not running for $50 and parted it out for a total of $1500. I actually did this for a second job for a while.

Quick Reply: Whats the best deal you've got