General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

What truck to get..warning long

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What truck to get..warning long

HOping sixslug or jasper see thtis as many trucks I posted about they Frowned Upon &everytime I went&looked @ them they were correct &I ran!Anway so as some of you know & are probably tired of hearing I am in the market for another truck. I've mostly been looking for 24 valve as I have a 99 quad cab long bed 4x4. I have looked at a couple of other trucks and even considered drw trucks,Powerstrokes&12 valves.I was in a accident in June that wasn't my fault but I still was found at fault long story I got hit from the rear it forced the blocks forward on rear drivers side rear wheel & the tire ended up pushed back against the wheel well. Ripped the od unit in half,had to replace that the d/s control arms bent replaced those.The oil pan had a hole thought it was fixed but still leaking.Trans cooler shot.So I thought the Trans was probably shot.Turns out it's not runs&drives.
I bought a whole new body just need to put it on there.The reason I've been looking for the same truck quad cab long bed 24 valve is in case one of the other trucks ever has a problem with the motor or trans transfer case whatever I can yank it off the other truck if end up liking one more than the other. As I plan on lifting 1 and keeping one with only a leveling kit. However a woman who my wife works with tells me her brother in law is selling his 12 valve. Come to find out it's the guy who actually got me into Cummins he has a 96 maybe 94 can't remember it was his father's but he is on it for the last 12 years when I had my gas burner I had just really got into trucks and you told me I should have got the diesel showed me his next truck I bought was a diesel.Anyways it has like 300k on it.But he has meticulously cared for if he doesn't waste a dollar on it. You just had to transmission rebuilt & had bigger torque convertor different valve body etc.
He's has new seals Put in everything the motors overdrive anything had seals he had replaced except for the oil pan gasket because it's a minimal leak. All new front end and it is completely stock. Pumps never been messed with when I did all the gaskets they did the KDP. Only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have any gauges for,egt, boost, fuel etc.I keep looking and I've found awesome deals on trucks I just cannot find 1 that is like mine during the regular cabs or shortbeds.So i think maybe say screw it&buy his mine has 268&is newer &was beat on.His he just had the valves checked&4x4 fixed & that was Friday before the work he wanted 6500 now it's 7k.
What do you think?I keep thinking hold off for the twin to pop up. But with his I will have money left over to fix my truck &do some stuff to his.Only mod he has is full exhaust.Oh & he has brand new 33's on it.Everyone in town I know who knows him I've called and asked hey do you think he will sell his truck and they all say no that is his baby.So I'm thinking about getting it today. and if I do go 12 valve there is one other truck that I know of it was a grandmother and grandfathers truck you used it to pull a camper grandpa died and grandmother left it to son who is too young to drive. it only has 185k on it.But I'd have to do the kdp & the trans scares me since it's the original transmission.So besides telling me my punctuation sucks&I made a novel.What would you do?Wait for a twin to pop up or go with the well maintained 12 or grandmas 12?
Old 02-29-2016, 10:48 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I'd opt for a 12 valve. Probably the 185K one...

Buying a new rig is exciting, I get it. I appreciate that you appreciate my advice, drag about your accident etc.

Second thought, go wag 6000 in the dudes face with the other one and see what happens....the extra 500 will get you a nice set of ISSPRO gauges...
Old 02-29-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
I'd opt for a 12 valve. Probably the 185K one...

Buying a new rig is exciting, I get it. I appreciate that you appreciate my advice, drag about your accident etc.

Second thought, go wag 6000 in the dudes face with the other one and see what happens....the extra 500 will get you a nice set of ISSPRO gauges...
I actually went ahead and bought my buddies with 300k just because I know him just hadn't seen him in a while I know he wouldn't lie to me about anything I called all of our mutual friends And ask them hey do you think you would ever sell his truck and I also know that is his baby. Run out there there was absolutely no blow by has great power. I'm actually getting ready to post a thread right this second asking some questions about gauges gears in the such would it be a pain to have her put the 24 valve in that truck or the trans out of the 24 valve in that truck?