General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Warranty and Performance Issues

Old 12-11-2002, 10:21 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty and Performance Issues

This bulletin is intended to clarify DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation's warranty coverage policy on vehicles equipped with after-market engine performance enhancing modification packages or components. Although this applies to all vehicles, Dodge Ram Pickup trucks equipped with the Cummins diesel engine are particularly susceptible to performance enhancing kits. <br><br>Section 3.7 of the Dodge Ram Pickup warranty Information booklet states &quot;Your warranties don't cover the costs of repairing damage or conditions caused by . . . any changes made to your truck that don't comply with DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation or DaimlerChrysler Corporation specifications.&quot; This section also states that warranties do not cover &quot;tampering with the emission systems, or with a part that could affect the emission systems&quot;. <br><br>Unless certified, engine performance modification components violate both statements under the warranty terms. Therefore, prior to beginning repairs to any vehicle equipped, or suspected of being equipped with a performance enhancing modification, it is important to determine whether the needed repairs are a direct result of the kit. If so, they are the customer's responsibility. Keep in mind that the performance modifications may cause damage to non-engine components, such as transmissions, axles, electrical components, etc. Claims submitted for repairs not covered by the warranty are subject to chargeback. <br><br>Also remember that dealership installation of such modification components or packages at any time, as well as the sale of vehicles modified with such components before delivery, may violate state and/or Federal emission regulations that carry substantial fines. <br><br>K.A Murrenus Senior Manager Warranty Administration <br><br>****************************************** ****<br><br>Tampering with VP44 Fuel Pump on Cummins Diesel Engine Site Sponsor: <br><br>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>Date: July 22, 2002<br><br>Models: 1998-2002 (BE/BR) Ram Trucks<br><br>NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 1998.5-2002 (BE/BR) RAM TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH THE 24-VALVE CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE.<br><br>Discussion: A number of the VP44 fuel pumps have been returned through the warranty process as a result of tampering. Generally, the customer complains that the vehicle died while driving. When diagnosed, there may or may not be Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) present. When OTC's are present, there may be one or more of the following: DTC P Code Description 124 P 0234 Turbo boost limit exceeded 146 P 0217 Decreased engine performance due to engine overheat condition 361 P 0254 Fuel injection pump fuel valve current too high 363 P 0251 Fuel Injection pump mechanical failure fuel valve feedback circuit 364 P 1689 No Communication between ECM and injector pump module 375 P 0002 ECM fuel calibration error <br><br>Figures 1 and 2 below, show both a view of the pump itself (Fig. 1), which is located on the driver's side and toward the front of the engine. And, (Fig. 2) which shows the area where performance enhancing equipment is being connected into the outboard wire of the two wires that control operation of the metering solenoid in the pump. Another type of device places a connector between the metering solenoid harness and the upper connector on the pump. Telltale evidence can be seizure of the pump rotor, and/or cracked or overstressed pump cam ring. The protective sleeve around the two wires may be rolled or cut back to gain access for connection (Fig. 2), and the overhead console information center (if so equipped) may read out unrealistic fuel mileage numbers (30+). <br><br>NOTE. AS PER WARRANTY BULLETIN D-00-16, &quot;INSTALLING AFTERMARKET ENGINE PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT PACKAGES OR COMPONENTS&quot;, INJECTION PUMPS THAT HAVE BEEN TAMPERED WITH ARE NOT WARRANTABLE. <br><br><br><br>Policy: Information Only <br><br>Notes: The replacement cost for a VP44 from the dealer is around $3000. If DC determines that the pump has been tampered with, they will kick the bill back to the dealer and ultimately you. If you use one of the performance boxes on your truck, be aware of how much it can cost you! <br><br>****************************************** ****<br><br>This is the reason that the MAGNUSON-MOSS Warranty Act was introduced in 1975. This acts gives consumers legislation that they can use to resolve disputes with companies that refuse to honor their warranty obligations.<br><br>Should I put on that new high performance air filter and hope it doesnt void my warranty ????????????<br><br> :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[<br>
Old 12-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Warranty and Performance Issues

I have high performance items on my truck, but I agree with what DC is doing here at the same time. We all have to remember that we're our own warranty station. I haven't read the warranty act, maybe I should, but I can't imagine that this would cover high performance parts such as the ones we're talking about. If you tamper with the truck, then you should be prepared to pay the consequences. If I'm running 400-500hp on my engine, I would never expect DC to cover my truck under warranty, nor would I even try and pursue such a thing. We have to use our common sense here when dealing with these issues. If you want to play, you had better be well prepared to pay the piper.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:40 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

What Jack said.<br>By the way Jack...did you cut the hole yet? ;D<br>
Old 12-11-2002, 10:48 AM

Gee, I wish all my customers were as sensible as you guy's. You understand what I am dealing with. I had a guy who through a fit the other day because we would not repair some suspension parts on a truck that had been lifted and had huge mud tires on it. Give me a break [undecided]
Old 12-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Jrr

I agre with Jack and Luke on this one and now understand what is going on with the dealers. A friend took his new 2002 in for warranty work and was denied until the area warranty dude could come and check it out. They replaced the lift pump under warranty but the inspection was like crossing the border and they were looking for drugs. Seems like maybe the fact of having a complete set of gauges must have set off alarms and the dealer was covering his butt on the back charges if they didnt catch something.There have been no mods yet he just likes the looks of the gauges on the A-pillar, so it seems DC is on to us and are taking the dealers to task and the dealers are not going to take any chances.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:40 PM

A dealer about 30 miles from me got charged back $35,000 last year worth of warranty claims. :'( :'( :'(
Old 12-11-2002, 02:16 PM
Chapter President

I see DC's point and dealers dont need charge backs...but to take a stand that any mod could void the warranty is wrong...of course if the mod caused the problem then the customer has to understand why he's being charged for something he did and a written statement of the cause of the failure should be provided by the dealer so if the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act comes into play everyone understands why<br><br><br>http://www.directsaleslaw.com/librar...s/undermag.htm
Old 12-11-2002, 02:51 PM

Gear poet, I agree with you on your last statement. If someone's radio goes out I'm not gonna make them pay because they have an Edge Comp, or a plug-in-power. Put if they drop a pump, turbo, engine controller, etc. it's their baby. :'(
Old 12-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Like everybody else in this thread I agree. If you exceed the design specifications, you can not expect to hold a Dealer to a warranty that was written for the original specs.<br> <br> You may wish you could, and many do get away with it by being forceful enough, but that still doesn't make it right.<br><br> If you buy a new air hose for your compressor and it is rated for 200 lbs of pressure, but you burst it by running 500 lbs of pressure though it, Pretty obvious who's fault it is.<br><br> Modify and you are your own warranty station, unless you have pictures of Luke from the last Muncie event ;D
Old 12-11-2002, 03:37 PM