General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Volvo diesel tweaks.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo diesel tweaks.

Hey all we will be picking up a 1986 volvo 740 with a six cyl. diesel. I know that this is a VE Pumped motor and its all mechanical. My question is has any buddy tweaked the pump on one of these at all? Im trying to figure if it would be a complete waste of time or not. I have rebuilt these pumps and know how to tune it but was wondering if anyone has had any first hand experiance running one turned up.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:57 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If it's got a VE, it's just like your '91. If it's a non-turbo engine it probably won't have an AFC housing on the top, so your only adjustment will be the main fuel screw. Some non-turbo VE applications use an assembly similar to the AFC as an altitude compensator though. There's an aneroid bellows inside that runs the fuel pin. Have fun and keep an eye on the EGT's.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Volvo diesels of the 80s are VW Rabbit diesels with 2 cylinders added. A number of the Rabbit tweaks can be used on the Volvo versions of this engine.

Rusty
Old 06-08-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJC
The Volvo diesels of the 80s are VW Rabbit diesels with 2 cylinders added. A number of the Rabbit tweaks can be used on the Volvo versions of this engine.

Rusty
OOpsie, sorry have to contradict....

They are quite like the Rabbit engine, but cooling ain't too great, get them too hot once and you look into massive head troubles, the turbocharged ones love to tear exhaust manifolds off etc. I'd say better leave this engine stock....

AlpineRAM
Old 06-08-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
They are quite like the Rabbit engine...
...which was my point - they share a common heritage. Responsibility for any tweaking (and the results thereof) are with the owner. Just because one can do something doesn't mean one should do something.

Rusty
Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 PM

As I'm a smaller diesel engine hobbyist, I've gone through a fair share of various 'import' diesel forums. For starters, you may wanna visit here: http://www.vwdiesel.net/

I remember reading on about 2.4 liter diesel Volvo in Canada, that does 13.9 secs on a quarter mile.
Seems to me they can be tweaked out to haul butt.

To battle against head trouble, I'd seek into ceramic coating of the swirl chamber to limit heat soak. Coating piston top is a good idea as well while you're at it.
There are dozens to choose from, here's one good source for ceramic barrier paints: http://www.techlinecoatings.com/
Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the replies and links. You have all been a big help....
Well we talked to the current owner and it needs a head gasket. So the pump tweaks are on hold till shes good and solid running.