General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Tire review

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire review

So, I've had the Geolander A/T tires now for about 40,000 miles and thought that it was time to write a review on them

Wear:
At 40,000 my back tires are about ready to be replaced, my front tires are still good. This is because I was lazy and didn't rotate them enough (actually, I rotated them once...). I'll replace the rears but the fronts should be good for another 10Kmiles or so

Traction ice:
OK ice: The ice that I've dealt with in OK has covered the roads and been slicker than snot. The tires did well in this condition, the 235/85 I could actually dig ruts when it was warm enough.

NY ice and snow: Tires did very well in these conditions as well. Drove in Rochester when they got a 30in snow, and the roads I drove weren't getting plowed, and the drive home was fun on the highway in between plows (not advisable). The tires were far superior to my old H/T and did better than the M/T's that I ran on my Jeep for years.

Mud: The tires have done fair in mud. I've had limited experience with pickups and A/T tires, but these tires did do better running in clay on the praries, I was able to get through the roads better than the people running BFG A/T's

Noise: I have a straight pipe...

Mileage: I've increased mileage over my older stock tires, that might be due to the increased height, running higher pressure, or the narrowness of the tire.

Overall I'd buy these tires again, I was very impressed with them overall
Old 04-01-2008, 12:28 PM

Just got some 285's last week so far i like em ,ain't no super swamper but i am getting old and wise its easier to walk some places than spend 5 hours getting unstuck
Old 10-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Thought that I'd update this:

Finally have nearly run the tires bald (~50K on them) and they still perform great on the streets, fair offroad.

I replaced two of them with Kumho's AT, these things are crap. I've had one blow, and since I had to drive until I could pull off the road, I probably won't get any warranty (I've got maybe 10K on them). The tires have had a little sag in them since day one.

The Geolanders only had a little bulge when I put 2 tons of gravel in the bed, they did ride smooth though. When I put about 1 ton of random stuff in the bed, the kumho's were a little squeamish. They didn't bulge anymore, they just never seemed as stiff as the Geolanders.

The Kumhos did have good offroad traction, didn't spin my rear tires much, which was nice. Haven't had a chance to test in snow or ice, did fine in rain though.

I will say this, I never knew how much difference there could be in tire performance for tires that were so nearly priced. The Geolander beat the Kumho hands down in every category. Never had problems that were caused by the tires, they did wear out quickly due to lack of rotation and a toe end that needed to be adjusted. The Kumho's just never seemed to be E-rated tires, maybe D+ at best.