Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

19.5 big rig tire/ 2nd gen brake review

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19.5 big rig tire/ 3rd gen brake review

Just got my American Force 19.5x6.75" wheels and 3rd gen brake upgrade on. WOW! VERY impressed with handling. I got Roadlux 265/70r19.5's Pretty much the same as Longmarch tires. H rated "mud and snow" though I won't be winning any mud bogs with these pavement pounders. Got 'em locally after getting completely irritated with "tires-not-so-easy.com"

I chose 19.5's over 22.5's because of the extra weight/cost of the adapters, and sidewall height. 19.5's cost me less than used 22.5's plus adapter. But to each their own. I chose American Force over another cheaper brand because the load rating was dramatically higher (3500 per wheel-stout!) and the wheels were wider to accomodate properly a larger tire. Plus the others' hubcaps are FUGLY and without the caps they look funky. I'll note that I'm leaving my AF caps off. I'd say they are pretty hideous and gawdy, but opinions are like... oh yeah, The FCC says I can't say that!

The steel inner mount flange measured about 1/2" thick versus the stock inner at about 3/8" and the alloys measure about 5/8" versus about 1/2" for my 16" alcoas. This is why they use a tapered lug nut. the front still can hub center, but the rear inner is thick enough the outer is off the lip of the centering part of the hub. So the lugnuts center it.

HEADS UP 19.5's are VERY cheap and abundant in a variety of tread patterns in 225/70r19.5's but the selection drops by a factor of ten going to 265's and maybe by another factor of five going to 285's. Also the price for the larger sizes goes up DRAMATICALLY, and varies greatly from tire to tire.

I expected significant handling compromises with these tires. The compromise is negligible. Running 65psi all around (all 6) It only is a very slightly rougher ride, and tracking on road is better. Slightly less traction under heavy acceleration in tight corners, but haven't driven on wet pavement yet. I expect off pavement traction to really suffer though.

Front wheels took a fair amount of weight, rears not balanced. Wobble minimal enough I can't tell for sure if there is any.

Third gen brakes ('03 caliper braket, rotors, and pads-direct bolt on!) are amazing. If you can find some 17" or larger wheels for your 2nd gen truck with "slip off" rotors DO THIS MOD!!! Extremely easy mod using parts store parts other than the caliper bracket which I got from the dealer.

The 265/70r19.5's measure out the same diameter as my old 315/75r16's which most folks call "35's" I was considering 285's but the price of bigger tires is SHOCKING with the big rig rubber, and clearance on the duals would be a problem. The inner steelies would be relatively easy to mod for clearance, but 7.5" rim width is recommended even for the 265's I'm running now, so I decided against it. I modded my old stock inners to clear 35's without a spacer by cutting the hub and precision welding in a 1.5" ring and using a .400" spacer. These inners would be a simple cut and weld since the rim is flat far enough out to not need a ring. I guess there's not many out there who have a rotary table and mill, but just in case...

Unusual road whine. This is coming from a guy who has run mud tires for over a decade. Liberal application of throttle and vigorous application of clutch to test the tires had me worried for a minute. Sounded a LOT like gear whine. Not particularly loud, but louder than my 315 Dunlop mudders and rather distinct.

In short, only the most fantastic descriptions of the 3rd gen brake mod are exaggerated. VERY impressive. And the handling of the big rig rubber is nowhere NEAR as bad as I expected. And most folks get G rated rubber not the H rated I'm running.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Glad you like it, You will see a mileage increase on the highway at cruise, and your brakes will last a lot longer. enjoy
Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Very glad to hear that. I was hoping to get a slight bump in efficiency with the skinny rubber.

Mostly put this up for those who don't already have 19.5's tho!

Does my experience sound similar to yours? What size are you running?
Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
pics?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:01 PM

Dang, I knew someone would ask at some point. I know how to get the pic to the computer, and how to upload, but doesn't it have to be "hosted" somewhere? Yes, I live in a cave...
Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 PM

any pics and write-up for the 3rd gen brake upgrade?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:55 PM

Do a search and you will find some good threads. Only works on 2nd gen trucks with slip off rotors. As in the front rotors slip off the unit bearing. 2000 to 2002 if I understand right.

But all you do is get 3rd gen rotors pads and the caliper bracket and bolt it on. Uses the stock caliper. You gotta have 17" or larger wheels to clear them though.

Oh and the dust shields aren't needed. The rotors will clear the stock shields. Might be better to have the bigger shields, but I left my stock ones on.