Shell & 20% biodiesel - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shell & 20% biodiesel

Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Thanks! I have to go by the station today again and will probably stop.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Chapter President

I've run Shell bio in my truck before, many times and no problems. It was the B20 and I also called the Cummins dealer and even emailed Cummins and asked the question, "is it ok to run B20?". They said yes. Bean oil is not gonna be bad for your VP....how?? The natural lubricity of the bean oiol is gonna help lubricate the pump. As far as filters go, I would keep a hoard of filters on hand. I have not run the bean fuel in many months, not really suggested in cold weather the last I heard, has a tendency to gel badly and cannot add additive. That was the last I've heard, they may have an antigel additive by now but just don't run it in the winter, plus more expensive(.10-.20 cents over regular diesel).

I have noticed since I've stopped running the bean fuel that my filter when time comes to change it is no longer black. It's dirty but still more towards the white side. When I ran the bean fuel it would get black, like coal dust hand been poured into the tank.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 AM

I went by the station and they stated contact has been made with Shell. I showed the receipt for filters, had to explain the situation all over again and they began coming up w/excuses as why they wouldn't reimburse me and had to wait on Shell. The also stated this was the first station in the area w/ 20% blend.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM

If this is the first time you have run B-20 it may just be your fuel system getting cleaned out. A lot of folks have experienced this the first time they use it. Or if this is the first batch the station used, it might be flushing their system.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 AM

^ You know, that's a very good point. I've used bio but the station stated this is new and they are the first in the area to receive the blend. I'm going to bring this up on my next visit!