Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Shell & 20% biodiesel (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/shell-20%25-biodiesel-263142/)

high bid 02-02-2010 08:12 AM

Shell & 20% biodiesel

I need fuel last night so I pulled into a fairly new Shell station noticing $2.59/gal. I thought that's a good price for our area right now. I began pumping and noticed a green sticker 3/4 torn off by the by the pump. Curious, I left it pumping and walked to the other side of the pump and see a sticker stating "this product contains up to 20% Biodiesel." I thought ok, I've run bio before, had no issues and realize it acts as a cleaning agent thru the fuel system. About 15-20min later driving I notice fuel psi drop and upon acceleration I can get it to really drop to around 5psi or less. I'm thinking anyone who has not run bio before is in for some fuel clogging issues and w/out a fuel psi gauge could damage the V44 pump. Some how, I wonder if this station is blending in a higher % than what the sticker reflects to increase the profit margin as I don't believe a 20% blend would do this especially after running almost 80% bio w/zero issues. I took a pic of sticker and saved my fuel receipt. Any thoughts?

tempforce 02-02-2010 08:22 AM

sounds like your filter was getting close to needing changed. the station's fuel filter is possibly a 20 micron or larger filter, letting more garbage into your fuel tank. also how cold is it, right now. that can make a difference, with the % bio added.

high bid 02-02-2010 08:31 AM

Yea...I know about the cold weather gel and yes true filters may have been dirty. 48* right now. I have two filters factory and spin-on. I have to go back by there today and will check out the filter on the pump...if there is one. I just find it very odd that imediately after fill-up this issue pops up and I've run bio before so it's not as if the fuel sys is that dirty. Thanks for the info.

patdaly 02-02-2010 08:43 AM

Bio is more costly than dino, doubt they are blending in more.

jesussaves 02-02-2010 12:12 PM

i dont think its a coincidence

supr 02-02-2010 04:25 PM

I think the owners manual for Gen 2 says no more than 5% for Gen2. I have heard it is not good for the VP44, that it is a warranty violation, along with WIF and tapped wire. Some Bio, gums up the VP.

Spooler 02-02-2010 06:41 PM

Shell is my area is only B5. B20 won't hurt, it will just clean more so have some filters handy.

high bid 02-03-2010 07:47 AM

Ok...I went back by the Shell station yesterday and spoke w/the person running the register explaining that pretty much immediately after getting fuel my filters clogged and wanted to know if they had filters installed inside the pumps. He stated yes it was filtered and all the Shell stations in the area were beginning to carry only blended diesel w/up to 20% bio. I left my contact info, he was going to call his supplier and manager and get back w/me. Good thing I stopped by my uncles Bosch shop and picked up filters as the filters were clogged w/fuel psi dropping to < 5! I changed the easy spin-on Baldwin filter first and dumped the filter out to find a glob of sludge the size of a silver dollar. Whatever it was I believe that was the issue and after filter changes psi is back to 18. I'm waiting to see if they contact me and will provide updates if possible. Without a fuel psi gauge I probably would have fried my VP44.

bumpytruck 02-03-2010 09:32 AM

Thats a good story for the endorsment of gauges.I like my gauges and monitor them often.I,m glad you caught that,I'm sure the shell station will tell you very nicely to get lost but this is all good information.Thanks

Hunter11 02-04-2010 07:00 PM

I use a Shell station about 3/4 of a mile from our house for my fuel. I will have to check and see if they have this sticker. We live about 5 miles from the Cabela's on 35 towards Driftwood so we are not that far from San Antonio. Since that is about the only place I buy fuel if they are using B20 my truck has been running fine on it. I just filled up on the way home but did not see this post until I got home. I will stop by this weekend or next week when I fill up and check the pumps.

high bid 02-05-2010 07:38 AM

^ yes, please do. Thanks. Still no return call from them.

rattlerbob5.9 02-05-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by high bid (Post 2693892)
Ok...I went back by the Shell station yesterday and spoke w/the person running the register explaining that pretty much immediately after getting fuel my filters clogged and wanted to know if they had filters installed inside the pumps. He stated yes it was filtered and all the Shell stations in the area were beginning to carry only blended diesel w/up to 20% bio. I left my contact info, he was going to call his supplier and manager and get back w/me. Good thing I stopped by my uncles Bosch shop and picked up filters as the filters were clogged w/fuel psi dropping to < 5! I changed the easy spin-on Baldwin filter first and dumped the filter out to find a glob of sludge the size of a silver dollar. Whatever it was I believe that was the issue and after filter changes psi is back to 18. I'm waiting to see if they contact me and will provide updates if possible. Without a fuel psi gauge I probably would have fried my VP44.

I would keep that filter for evidence and at the very least i would ask them to replace it for you. Since you have prior history of running bio i don't think there is anyway you could have gotten that glob that quick from your trucks system !

I almost always use my credit card for fuel so if i ever needed to i could track all of my prior fuel sources. I also have a new fuel filter on board in each of my trucks with me at all times.

dieselJon 02-05-2010 05:12 PM

Beware of BP's diesel! I was filling up my car at the last pump left that also carried diesel. One of those diesel/gas pumps. ANyways, as I grabbed the nozzle for the gas, I notice a NEW sticker. It said:

This diesel is NOT processed by BP. BP has NO responsibility of the quality of fuel dispensed.

Ok, so if I prove that their tanks are full of sludge, and that the new fuel is of good quality, no bueno...

I no longer buy BP fuel. Shell straight up but I do grab a tank of Wallyworlds diesel when I am low on money...

high bid 02-06-2010 07:22 AM

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. At this point I'm out the cost of filters and still haven't heard from them.

Hunter11 02-07-2010 09:30 AM

Just to report back I went and filled up this moring at the Shell station right down the street and no 20% bio stickers anywhere on the pumps. Checked two pumps while I was there. Looks like for now it is down your way.