Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Shell or Tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Shell or Tonneau

Looking to buy myself a late Christmas present. I want something to cover the bed of my truck to secure my dive gear when I'm away from the truck. I can't decide on a shell or a fiberglass tonneau cover. So I'm asking for the opinion of those of you out there that have had one or the other or both. Also what brand.<br><br>Tonneau <br>Pros: Low profile, does not obstruct view. No windows, everything hidden from sight. Lower price.<br>Cons: Can't fit tall items in truck with out removing, Can't throw dogs in back.<br><br>Shell<br>Pros: Dogs can ride in back with their own windows to smuge. Taller items will fit.<br>Cons: Price, obstructed view.<br><br>I'm looking at either the Glasstite Tri-Wing<br><br>or the Snugtop Top-Gun<br>
Old 01-02-2003, 01:18 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Shell or Tonneau

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...96&amp;pid=678<br><br>Get a quality shell.<br>Mine is a Jeraco from www.jeraco.com<br>Good quality and price.<br>Get good sized tinted windows, keeps the view obstructions to a minimum.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a CoverMaster. Put up about 1,100 buck for it. I like it, but I wish the center of the hatch would latch to the tailgate. If someone wanted to, they could pry it out.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:07 PM

sdscuba

I have had both, started with the tonneau cover. Looked good but ended up being impractical. Pain to put anything in the back oversized. Cost quite a bit for no more than you got. Now have a Swiss fiberglass shell, the wedge style. Helped the aero pulling my trailer, looks good on the truck, has decent security and is not bad visibility wise.
Mine was $850 installed 2 years ago.

me4osu

I made a piece from aluminum that set screwed on to the inside of the latch that turns down to the inside of the tail gate. Works pretty good to keep the center of the lid from being pried out.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:15 PM

I've been pondering that. Might try it this weekend. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:23 PM

[quote author=me4osu link=board=10;threadid=9093;start=0#87391 date=1041538532]<br>I've been pondering that. Might try it this weekend. Thanks.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Actually, I made my &quot;latch&quot; to keep the lid on the shell closed. The wind going under the truck and hitting the front of my trailer would actually suck the lid open. Didn't want it to flop in the wind and that was the only solution I could think of. It would come open even with the shell locked. Stays shut now. Security was an afterthought. ;D
Old 01-02-2003, 09:52 PM

Get a Pace Edwards Roll Top for best of both world (except for dogs).<br><br>Hard cover that gets out of your way to haul tall items. Only cover for a gooseneck setup because you can close and lock it 2/3 up just in front of the gooseneck and can keep some of your stuff dry.<br><br>Take a look.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:49 PM

I picked up a Leer 700 Tonneau for my truck. I had a similar pro/con list as you, except my list included hauling motorcycles occasionally and possibly some mulch; and didn't include dogs. Either way, I'd be removing whatever I installed on a temporary basis.<br><br>I've had caps on my two previous trucks and really enjoy this tonneau. The extra visibility is wonderful (especially backing), and if I need to remove it temporarily, I could probably do it myself in a pinch. I'd NEVER be able to remove the cap on my old dooley by myself. The extra inch and a half height over the tailgate does hinder seeing the little ricer(s) and camaro's while looking through the rear view mirror though.<br><br>I use the truck to pull my boat, and the hard tonneau turns my bed into a trunk if you will. My oldest son kidded that we now have a large 4-door 4x4 sedan.<br><br>The Leer fits great and looks even better.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the fiberglass cover on my truck. It looks good but yes, it is annoying when you want to carry something big, and the cover is heavy and cannot be removed by myself. The answer I have found for carrying oversize is my 20 ft flatbed trailer, which does a fine job. As far as being able to remove it myself,l I have been considering one of these covers:<br>http://www.kcovers.com/<br>All the questions answered:<br>http://www.kcovers.com/faq.html<br><br>I saw one on a Ford short bed and got to play with it. It is sharp. It is in hinged sections that can be separated, which means I can remove and install by myself, when necessary, and is waterproof and lockable.<br><br>Chris
Old 01-06-2003, 03:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the input, I can't find the Swiss made tops on the West Coast, but the price sounded good.