General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Sealing oil jugs and oil bottles

Old 09-06-2007, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sealing oil jugs and oil bottles

When I buy my oil I make sure that it is seal from the factory,to make sure it has not been tamper with.I have come across jugs that have that clip that you press and turn, then there is nothing else sealing the jug.While others you have to pull a tab that is glue to the mouth of the jug.Do I have a cause to worry about those oil companys that dont have a good seal on their bottles?Or should I buy only from the oil companys that have a good seal.I mean how do I know if the oil is contaminated or not,if it does not have a good seal on it.Is there anybody esle that feels the way I do about this?All of the oil companys need to put hard to take off seals to prevent tampering of their products.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Way I see it the seal on the non-foiled lids must be pretty good otherwise oil would leak all over during transport.
An oily mess isn't something many truckers, stores, etc would appreciate.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:01 PM

Buy it buy the drum... Those are sealed really well!
I buy it by the 330 Gallon Tote... ... I hate going to WMart to buy oil... I always get behind the lady that want 15 keys cut... the cashier can't focus on more than one thing.. So you have to wait... Grr...

OG
Old 09-06-2007, 01:06 PM

I recall reading on this or another forum about individuals purchasing oil at Wally World and when they went to use it finding it had already been used, rebottled, and returned to the store for credit. I now check under the cap unless I purchase a sealed case.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:10 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
I like my stuff sealed, food, oil, whatever.

That being said, I recently read a report, somewhere, that Cummins has found the cause of a large percentage of engine failures to be portions of those shiny seals getting poured into the engine and finding their way into internal orifices, thus blocking vital lubrication.

Since reading that report, I am especially particular about not letting any part of the seal get in the oil.