Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Saw a dead Duramax today

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 02:47 PM
MTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats one thing I had to get used to....... the truck going sideways when the roads were wet. My gutless prior truck wouldnt do that.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superf350
Time will tell. I'm pretty happy so far though!
I have an 05 F-350 6.0 with the Edge Juice it is a good truck too! I just don't like to talk about it here. Some people just don't understand.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by hoot
Here's two in a row...

White one getting headgaskets and the one on the lift behind it getting a turbo.

Stacking propain (Propane) with a box sure had nothing to do with the headgasket But you seam to forget to mention that whenever you condem the Duramax
Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
At work we have a variety of chevy, dodges, and fords, all diesels, all 1+tons except for a handful, all diesel. I am an electrician by trade, and we don't carry a huge amount of weight on average, but between the steel utility bodies and hundreds of pounds of stock/tools/etc, they aren't featherweights, nor does the suspension feel overloaded. My opinion, which ain't worth jack (but is based on personal experience) is:

Older chevy 6.2s- Gutless, motors seem somewhat reliable, hard starting at anytime. Many electrical issues over the years, injections system not very reliable either, one truck with bad oil pressure problem that can't be diagnosed. Nice riding trucks though, maybe the best. None have made it over 150k mi.

New Chevy's, 4500s with duramax 6.6- Tranny has its perks, motor has no ***** down low though, like below 2k. Above that, competitive and smooth except they knock REAL bad sometimes on highway, sounds like the valvetrain is disintegrating. Suspension feel is garbage, and rear ends are rattling around at 40k mi. Some have had real strange elec. issues, like gauges/radio/lights, and one had a blown head gasket at 30k. Capable I guess, but time will tell for sure.

Old Fords, NA 7.3- not even worth mentioning beside the fact they WONT DIE. Everything else sucks...may be able to limp along, but sucks.
Newer Fords with 6.0- too many problems to list with injection problems, electrical issues, disintegrated turbo, and a cracked head. Drivetrain and suspension is very good.

Dodges- We currently have a flatebed 92 for hauling bigger loads. Just yesterday I had it somewhat overloaded with 3-1 ton reels of wire and a few smaller 2-300lbs reels, still pulls just fine-it even stops! Truck has 335k, 5 spd, and so far has needed just suspension parts like balljoints, tie rods, etc. Doesn't burn oil and smokes minimal compared to the old ford 7.3s with 200k.
Also have a few 2nd gen 12V's left, all with 200k+. The ones that are gone were wrecked. 3 left, start the easiest (considering age, all 95's) and pull the strongest compared in my honest opinion.

Am I biased...maybe. Thats why I said my opinion wasn't worth jack.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:27 AM

Well, I don't know what's different between yours and my sisters but her 06 2500 won't spin the tires. As a matter of fact it was pretty gutless for 325/610!
Super, did you check to see if the floormat was bunched under the go pedal? Has the air filter been changed? Has she let the tires leak down to 10 psi or is she maintaining at least 50, unloaded? Somethings wrong somewhere for sure if it won't spin a wheel. My rinky dink 305/555 will spin at will.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by DryCreek
Talk about chivalry, just last month I saw a Dodge owner kindly helping out a Ford owner. Apparently the Ford must have broken down, and not wanting to embarass the poor Ford guy, the Dodge owner graciously PUSHED the Ford home with one of the stiffest tow ropes I have ever seen! The average (and untrained) eye probably thought that the Dodge was being towed, but I knew better!

Dry Creek
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by i6DZUL
Super, did you check to see if the floormat was bunched under the go pedal? Has the air filter been changed? Has she let the tires leak down to 10 psi or is she maintaining at least 50, unloaded? Somethings wrong somewhere for sure if it won't spin a wheel. My rinky dink 305/555 will spin at will.
You know I'm not sure why it won't but it dyno'd at 278/5++ stock. I can't remember the exact torque numbers but they were higher than my 6.0 stock. HP was about the same as my 6.0. The truck just don't seem to have it, even fuel mileage is pretty crappy for a 2500 4X4. She gets 16 which is the same as what my CC dually gets.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's all?

My '05 dynoed 301 HP & 700 ft# stock...
Old 01-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

Fords welcome...

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
I have an 05 F-350 6.0 with the Edge Juice it is a good truck too! I just don't like to talk about it here. Some people just don't understand.
Ramrodd - Actually I like having you guys on this site. I'm sure there are plenty of good running 6.0's. I of course just like to rib you guys about those trucks. My issue is that I am not the gutsy dude when it comes to heavy repair under the hood. So I want as little of that as possible. I went with what I thought was the best potential as far as least likely to break, good all around power and the most fuel efficient of what was available at the time. The reason for those particular aspects is that I had planned on keeping my truck for at least 10 years.

Well I'm into my 8th year now and I'm still tickled pink with my truck. It has only broken down 1 time with a LP issue. The dealer replaced it for free. Other than that it's been perfect and I have kept it EXTRA clean. I still love to hit the starter and listen to the raaap of the straight pipe and how quick and easy it starts! And easing down the RH window on the road to listen to the sweet sound of turbo & straight pipe. Ahhhh, I love that truck.

- JyRO
Old 01-12-2007, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
That's all?

My '05 dynoed 301 HP & 700 ft# stock...

So I guess you got a "special edition" truck that has more torque than any of the other 610 trucks in the entire world?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just reporting the dyno graph....
Old 01-12-2007, 08:44 AM

Sounds to me like someone fudged the numbers for ya! Put that on a good dyno and I doubt you'd even be close to 700fltlbs stock!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You know I'm not sure why it won't but it dyno'd at 278/5++ stock. I can't remember the exact torque numbers but they were higher than my 6.0 stock. HP was about the same as my 6.0. The truck just don't seem to have it, even fuel mileage is pretty crappy for a 2500 4X4. She gets 16 which is the same as what my CC dually gets.
I don't get it. You are welcome on this site but why be a jerk. You don't know anything about this socalled 2500. You don't know the gears, the driving style, or any technical data. If she has 4.10 gears she may get only 16-17 MPG. Was the driving in town or on the highway? What kind of transmission does she have auto or manual?

Most don't care what you drive on here. Why come on this site and be a "TROLL". One of my buddies has an 06 F350 and I wish him all the luck in the world with his truck. Take a chill pill. If she is having issues with her 2500 then we will be glad to help but don't come on this site and try to argue. This site is for helping others and fun. Not arguing with others.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM

How am I being a troll? It's a 2500 4X4 auto! Where am I being a jerk? I'm just stating what I know! And I know a stock truck will not do 700 ftlbs! If that's being a jerk by setting a guy straight alright then I'm a jerk!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

I'll have to back super up here - it's not realistic that a truck rated at 610 ft. lbs. is going to dyno at 700 lb. ft. stock. That's some pretty serious manufacturing deviation.

Quick Reply: Saw a dead Duramax today