Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Saw a dead Duramax today

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tully_mars
Was the the duramax a Black 2006 2WD Crew Cab? If so that Allison tranny that kept me in the shop all last year must (my recent trade in) have finally bit the dust....Well, at least it was under warranty for that guy.

Right now I am really liking the 48RE! The Allison name is great, but it is unproven in the Silerado IMO.
I don't know off hand if it was 2wd, but it WAS black...I KNOW that it was new and as I was passing at 75mph, I couldnt tell if it was crew cab or extended...but it WAS DEFINITELY being pulled onto a hauler via cable...which hurt my feelings...I HATE seeing ANY oil burners broken down and having to be pulled..

Derek
Old 01-10-2007, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here's two in a row...

White one getting headgaskets and the one on the lift behind it getting a turbo.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard that on the new & improved 6.4 F**d you have to remove the fenderwell to change the airfilter...
Old 01-11-2007, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I heard that on the new & improved 6.4 F**d you have to remove the fenderwell to change the airfilter...
what about the 2nd gen Dodge with the Cummins that you have to take the fender well out and mangle the inner metal fender to change the starter or turn up the idle? and by way of statistics you will see more Fords on the side of the road. when you sell at least twice as many more diesel vehicles as both of your competitors combined there will be at least twice as many broke down as the other two...figures eh? numbers kill. heaven forbid any of you use any sort of facts in your generalizations.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deezeldude
what about the 2nd gen Dodge with the Cummins that you have to take the fender well out and mangle the inner metal fender to change the starter or turn up the idle? and by way of statistics you will see more Fords on the side of the road. when you sell at least twice as many more diesel vehicles as both of your competitors combined there will be at least twice as many broke down as the other two...figures eh? numbers kill. heaven forbid any of you use any sort of facts in your generalizations.
So your saying you have to take the fender well out to turn up the idle
I won't even coment on the starter, for I have never had to change one.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by deezeldude
I don't know about twice as many...especially after the break down rate of the 6.no has gone up as much as it has the past few years...however...IF they DO sell twice as many diesels as anybody else, it's because the person purchasing figures that because it's the cheapest pile they can find that they are saving some money (just because they have the highest pay load doesn't make them the most well built of the competition...I go off of numbers FAR beyond payload, such as mileage. When was the last time you saw a6.no with 467K miles on it?)...without taking into consideration that it is going to more than likely fall apart 100K later...The Duramaxes out there on the road I can live with...the Powerjokes...No way.

Derek
Old 01-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

OK, this is in response to the first page. About a year and a half ago I was carrying a Harley in the bed of my truck and had just merged from I-65 north bound onto I-459 in Birmingham. Just getting down to business on I-459 I see a Dmax pulling a small open trailer with what I remember to be 2 or 3 medium size palm trees laying down.

About the time I kind of wonder what it would be like to tow with the Dmax, it chokes out a big ole nasty cloud of black smoke ... and he wasn't getting on it. A couple more big nasty clouds and then full black smoke and the right blinker comes on. He dove for the shoulder and I watched him in my rear view mirror and was proud to have a Cummins.

- JyRO
Old 01-11-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JyRO
OK, this is in response to the first page. About a year and a half ago I was carrying a Harley in the bed of my truck and had just merged from I-65 south onto I-459 in Birmingham. Just getting down to business on I-459 I see a Dmax pulling a small open trailer with what I remember to be 2 or 3 medium size palm trees laying down.

About the time I kind of wonder what it would be like to tow with the Dmax, it chokes out a big ole nasty cloud of black smoke ... and he wasn't getting on it. A couple more big nasty clouds and then full black smoke and the right blinker comes on. He dove for the shoulder and I watched him in my rear view mirror and was proud to have a Cummins.

- JyRO
Sounds like he blew a turbo hose or a turbo.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by derek.mckay
I don't know about twice as many...especially after the break down rate of the 6.no has gone up as much as it has the past few years...however...IF they DO sell twice as many diesels as anybody else, it's because the person purchasing figures that because it's the cheapest pile they can find that they are saving some money (just because they have the highest pay load doesn't make them the most well built of the competition...I go off of numbers FAR beyond payload, such as mileage. When was the last time you saw a6.no with 467K miles on it?)...without taking into consideration that it is going to more than likely fall apart 100K later...The Duramaxes out there on the road I can live with...the Powerjokes...No way.

Derek

Well, obviously you are entitled to your opinion but your opinion is far from fact. I looked hard at the dodge twice before I got my 6.0 and I happen to think my Ford is a better all around truck. That's my opinion and that's why I spent my money on what I liked not what someone thinks or likes!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by superf350
Well, obviously you are entitled to your opinion but your opinion is far from fact. I looked hard at the dodge twice before I got my 6.0 and I happen to think my Ford is a better all around truck. That's my opinion and that's why I spent my money on what I liked not what someone thinks or likes!
superf350 - And you are entitled to your opinion. But here's an old saying you may want to remember (it dates back to, uh ... let's see ... 2003, yeah that's it). The saying: "There are 2 kinds of 6.0 owners. There are the owners who have had their truck bought back, and there are those who wish their truck had got bought back."

Don't let it concern you, I'm sure you'll fit into one of those catagories before too long.

- JyRO
Old 01-11-2007, 01:48 PM

Time will tell. I'm pretty happy so far though!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Well I don't know.
These Dodges aint so great. Just yesterday I had to excellerate quickly from a stop at one of those metered ramps. I was pulling my 24' seaswirl striper.
The Dang thing spun both wheels for a good 30 yards from a standing stop.
Dang it! I had to lift my right foot just to get it to quit.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Well, I don't know what's different between yours and my sisters but her 06 2500 won't spin the tires. As a matter of fact it was pretty gutless for 325/610!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by shinerunner
Well I don't know.
These Dodges aint so great. Just yesterday I had to excellerate quickly from a stop at one of those metered ramps. I was pulling my 24' seaswirl striper.
The Dang thing spun both wheels for a good 30 yards from a standing stop.
Dang it! I had to lift my right foot just to get it to quit.
I hate it when that happens.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

A couple times towing my 5'er on wet roads, as I launched (not a drag launch, a smooth launch) from a traffic light I have spun the rear tires. Of course like I said, it was wet. Not raining, but wet roads.

One of the times I was just hitting 2nd and hit the white "stop" line with it wet, and the dern thing went sideways ... pulling the 5'er. Now not too sideways because I of course let out of it. But not only will that really get your attention, but will make you respect what low end torque that Cummins puts out. The reason I bring this up, is even though it was wet, I still had about 2,000 lbs over the rear axle!

Quick Reply: Saw a dead Duramax today