General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Problems with 03'-04' Ford PSD's??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Problems with 03'-04' Ford PSD's??

I came across an article in the May 2006 Issue of "Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road" Magazine which quoted an "Automotive News" report about the 2003-2004 Ford PSD's which I found pretty amazing and wanted to share it with the members. In part the article stated:

"Automotive News" recently reported on a huge amount of trouble Ford's Power Stroke Diesel Engine has created for some owners of 2003 and 2004 F-Series Trucks. Apparently the company has been sued nearly sixty (60) times and has received in the order of 12,000 consumer complaints stemming from problems with the engine's fuel system, turbocharger and other issues.
Ford has issued seventy-seven (77) technical service bulletins to address the problems; by comparison, there have been eight TSB's issued for GM's Duramax over the same period and none for the Cummins used in the Dodge trucks.
International, which designed the engine for Ford, has fixed many of the problems and newer Power Strokes are proving to be more reliable. But issues persist and there are still thousands of older Power Stroke equipped trucks on the road "that are not reliable, and may never be" says the magazine.

I had heard of some of the problems listed on those year Ford PSD's, but I had no idea the problem was that big. Those are some staggering numbers to say the least.

--------
John_P
Old 03-16-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are even giving a big bonus if you trade in your 03/04 6.0 in for another. My buddy did it last week. He had alot of trouble and wasnt even modded. He wasnt gonna get another PSD, but after they told him what theyd do, he jumped on the deal. If Im not mistaken it was a total of $12,000 off MSRP for trading in his 04 6.0 for an 06.He came out smelling pretty good.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:16 PM

i had lots of problems with my 04. the engine went kerplunk at 14k because of oil pump coming apart then turbo later and 3 injectors. I traded it of at 56k, but the ford dealership was mad because their family frends. I told them i went and got real truck, and were tired of the 2 toys(02 F250 and 04 F350)
Old 03-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Administrator

For any of the members that are interested, that article I spoke of above is on pages 30-31 of that May 2006 Issue of "Petersens 4 Wheel & Off-Road."

Sorry I forgot that!

-------
John_P
Old 03-17-2006, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a card in the mail the other day, telling me to trade in my 04 6.0L and get a 2500 rebate in addition to any other "public" rebates.

.......only thing is.....I got rid of my boat anchor two years go because it was the BIGGEST POS I ever owned.

.....oh yeah...like $2500 is gonna make me want to drop another 40K on the craps table?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:27 AM

Around here, they don't want to take Powerstrokes in on trades and if they do, you'll take a severe beating. I never, I mean never see a CTD Dodge on a used lot. I see ALOT of Powerstrokes, especially 04's. If I were a Ford guy, I'd be ****** that they got screwed so badly. Trucks depreciate enough, but when they are known as unreliable and sometimes dangerous... ouch!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, there's a reason they call the 6.ohno! insignia on the door "the chrome badge of death"!!

Rusty
Old 03-17-2006, 11:59 AM

After reading this, I stopped over at one of the Ford truck sites... they have a thread with something like 260 pages... over 2800 replies about problems with the 6.0. And most of the guys are like, "still love my truck"...
Even the ones who have the least problems still comment on the number of times they needed reflashes or recalls and tsb's done to help mileage, stop sputtering, dead peddle.... Too much bad stuff.
Makes me very, very happy to have my DodgeCTD... period
Old 03-17-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
After reading this, I stopped over at one of the Ford truck sites... they have a thread with something like 260 pages... over 2800 replies about problems with the 6.0. And most of the guys are like, "still love my truck"...
Even the ones who have the least problems still comment on the number of times they needed reflashes or recalls and tsb's done to help mileage, stop sputtering, dead peddle.... Too much bad stuff.
Makes me very, very happy to have my DodgeCTD... period
Blind faith loyalty. I have owned Fords in the past and they were good, but if I had a 6.0psd that needed the egr, oil leaks, stalling, crap etc that these guys go through it'd burn in the Ford showroom. BTW look at the newer fleet trucks these days. Mostly gasser Fords....wonder why.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Banned

So what, are the older 6.0's costing Ford so much in repairs and lawsuits that they're loosing money on them and want to get them off the road?

I like Ford, but if you don't like Ford I'm sure this is the funniest thing that's happened since the Edsel.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Begle1:

Apparently the costs are mounting for Ford on those 2003-2004 6.0 PSD's!
One guy I talked to told me he wouldn't doubt it if Ford tried to do some type of a "buyback" on the affected trucks kind of along the lines of what DTR Member "Smkn600CTD" posted.

Like "trik396" I am just glad I own a Dodge CTD! But I do feel bad for the ones who own a 2003-2004 Ford PSD!

--------
John_P
Old 03-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by rammtuff
Blind faith loyalty. I have owned Fords in the past and they were good, but if I had a 6.0psd that needed the egr, oil leaks, stalling, crap etc that these guys go through it'd burn in the Ford showroom. BTW look at the newer fleet trucks these days. Mostly gasser Fords....wonder why.
I have seen that too. F550's with v10's. I know why they did it I just cant believe that they dont do something about there diesel problem. They could solve it by just putting the old 7.3 back in there. oh well my cummins is now worth more because of them.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:11 AM

one of the bigest problums I have heard on the 6.o is the vgt turbo sticks open and the engine over boosts and that is causing a large portion of the head gasket failures that is maby why on the 05 they put the factory boost gauge inA friend of mine told me about his 04 and his aftermarket boost gauge (mechanical) would peg out on 40 psi some times went to the dealer and they couldnt reproduce the problum, week later the truck does it again and presto bad headgasket. I hope they test a couple of those 6.4 powerstrokes that come out in 07
Old 03-19-2006, 08:38 AM

My brother runs and Erosion Control Company. In the past they have always ran PSD. They had very good luck with the 7.3's w/ some inexcess of 500k miles pulling bobcats and ditchwitches on a daily basis.

In '03 they started buy 6.0 liters. They have 10 in there fleet if I remember correctly. They have had 2 or 3 bought back and are working on a 4th. Of the 10 in the fleet they only have 3 or 4 functioning right now.

In the past Ford was the only real 4x4 truck with cab and chassis. They are anxiously awaiting the release of the Dodge's. They plan on dumping their entire fleet for the Dodge. The crews don't even mind loosing the leg room in the back as they say that it is better than TRULY being Found On Road Dead on a weekly basis.

I don't know how much money my brother has spent on Fords, I know it has topped 1 million and maybe 2 over the past 10 years and he has to fight with Ford on a daily basis to have stuff repaired.

They even told him once, they didn't care, he wasn't a big enough customer, 1 million + dollars not a big enough customer.....what a shame
Old 03-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
9 out of 10 FORD trucks ever built
are still on the road

The other 10% actually made it all the way home

An outsider reading our forum might say the same about brand loyalty though.
With all the posts about lift pumps, injection pumps, burning number 6 cylinder, auto trans troubles, ....etc.
Someone who didn't know better might think we're a little strange for hanging onto our loyalty for the Cummins engine.

Quick Reply: Problems with 03'-04' Ford PSD's??