General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Power gain after towing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Power gain after towing?

I have been working on my CTD since I got it about 6 months ago. So far just the basics trying to get it to run good, (starwheel adjustment, new linkages, TPS adjustment, silencer ring removal, valve adjustment, air and fuel filters, fix some oil and diesel leaks, some wiring, recalls, shocks...)

About three weeks ago I installed a #10 plate slid full forward with the AFC also full forward. After the truck had more power, got a little higher boost (from 24 to 30 PSI) and EGT's would go higher (from 900 max to 1050). Better but not amazing.

Yesterday I picked up my brother-in-law's boat (10,000 lbs. approx.) from winter storage and brought it back home. The drive is about 100 miles and has some fairly decent hills (steep but not long). The truck definitely pulled better, some hills where I could only do 55MPH before I was now able to pull at 80. I could even get the EGT's up to 1200 on some hills.

Anyway to get to the point - today I jumped in the truck and it seemed to start-up much better than usual, cranked faster and fired up almost instantly. But when I started driving I couldn't believe how fast it was. It seems like it has double the power it used to have. It will spin all 4 back tires from a dead stop and accelerates like a hot rod. I haven't done anything performance wise in the last three weeks just the boat tow yesterday. Doesn't make any sence to me!

Anyone got any ideas on why this happened? I don't think it's a break-in issue (190,000 miles on it) but maybe something was sticking or plugged and the hard run loosened it up? I kind of expected a gain in power with #10 plate install but not after three weeks of use and not this much of a difference. I am not complaining, just confused. I can now really feel the BOMBING bug biting. I understand!! Might need to say a little prayer for my stock 47RH though!

I recommend that all CTD owners hook-up to a 10,000 lb load, go for a 100 mile drive and look for some hills. Might just be the best performance mod out there!!
Old 05-20-2004, 01:44 AM
Banned

You heated it up and cleaned the cylinders and valves and stuff up. These engines love to work. I just wish I had a gooseneck hitch and trailer brakes so I could pull our gooseneck and really work mine. Hardest work mine sees is pulling onto the freeway.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, these engines love to work.
I notice the same after hauling a dump trailer with 3 yds of gravel (about 10k lbs). After running at highway speeds (70mph) for about 40 miles the engine was purring.

MikeyB
Old 05-20-2004, 08:56 AM

I have thought the same thing. Everytime, it pulls my pulls my fiver, my truck sounds better. When I unhook it and drive only back and forth to work it goes back to being "ho-hum." I think its like letting a dog normally stuck in the house run outside for awhile.

I think if anyone owns a CTD and hasn't pulled a good load with it is missing out.

Procrastinator
Old 05-22-2004, 12:26 PM

Maybe I should try that w/ my truck...I know it's never towed anything heavy. It was an oil field truck on the North Slope...hauled around people and tools. Is there a good fuel additive for cleaning and burning out the gum like Sidewinder did when he towed heavy?
Old 05-22-2004, 12:42 PM

Talking YES IT DOES RUN BETTER.....

I had a 1992 D350 Dually, auto a couple years ago, it only had about 45,000 miles on it when I got it.....put 5,000 miles on it and it ran real good.......Me and my Dad took off to Michigan one weekend to watch the 400, I drove normal all the way there, say 65mph, and we pulled a 24 foot car trailer, we loaded a 69 Road Runner and went to the race's......Well after being there all day and watching Sterlin almost win it, I was wound real tight, we got out on the interstate and I layed it on the floor, I only lifted about 3 times and one was to cross the bridge to Canada, when we got home and unhooked it was just like the other man said, it would spin the wheels and felt like it had about 40 more HP......It smoked a little for a while and stunk like #$%@ but it cleared up after a 130 miles.....You guys are right.....Go hook a big load and run the bag off her... !!!!
Old 05-22-2004, 06:53 PM

The last time I was at Cummins picking up some stuff I was talking to the service counter guy and he asked me "do you work your truck once in a while?"

I said "I don't tow much, but I do get on the skinny pedal pretty hard on occasion."

He said "no, you need to really WORK it once in a while to keep it running right."

I didn't have time to ask him to elaborate, but from what he said, and what others on this thread have said, I definately think there is something to it.

I guess I'm with BigBlue, I need a big hitch and something to tow.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:33 AM

Well then...I guess I need something to tow also! I thought you could keep a big diesel as a daily driver, but I guess you have to work it every once in a while to keep it running nice. That would also explain my sucky mileage...14-15 mpg highway in the summer, 11 mpg in the city.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:45 AM

I notice the same thing after a good 200 mile pull with the gooseneck horse trailer. Brings me ! True believer here!
Old 05-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Lest we forget

It,s the on board or in board computer that adjust the engine for the added load or work it has to do, such as fuel and air mixture and or the timeing. Thus after unhooking your load, it takes a day or two to revert back to where it was before the load was added, and it will go back to that performance level. Some Dodge gas engines have the same set up. Bought diesel fuel for 1.66 gal. at
the Meijer store in Grand Haven, Mich. on 5-20-04

Waam Holland, Mich.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:21 PM

waam, Only one problem with your computer suggestion, Sidewinder (a 95) does not have a computer running the truck and mine 97 it only controls the tranny. 98.5 on up have a fully computer control system. Interesting idea but does not explain what us 12 valvers see.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Lest we forget

Srigs Sorry about that, I didn't know that and I didn't read their description of the truck. Got a little jumpy, I guess.
Waam Holland, Mich.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:41 PM

Mine always runs better after I stretch her legs.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't tow anything but have noticed that even when partially loaded and having fun on hills on a trip that it seems to run better afterwards. I'd guess that it due to burning off carbon. Reducing carbon from the top of the piston would result in a hotter running piston (?) as the carbon isn't acting like an insulator, maybe making for a better combustion process (?). Although if it's bad it'll go bad quickly, removing carbon from around the valve seating area will result in a cooler running exhaust valve and one with better compression. But as mentioned, just guesses.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:35 AM

"But as mentioned, just guesses."

Sounds good to me!

Quick Reply: Power gain after towing?