General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Oops! Put gas in fuel tank - how do I drain it out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I second the take it home.

Cut it in at a gallon per full tank, you will be fine.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is what I did when my employees put gas in a diesel. 1-2 gallons at a time.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I almost did the oposite the other day. Was drining the wifes car to a Christmas family event and stopped to top off the tank on the way home. Out of habit, I almost grabbed the green handle and filled it up.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeepManIowa
Do you have a local hazardous materials drop off area in your neck of the woods?

The local fire department should know where one is as should somebody in "city hall".

You wouldn't be the first person to do that. I'm quite sure my turn is coming up.
Well I found the place to dispose of household hazardous waste, but when I got to the gas station to pick up the fuel, the manager had already dumped it into some hazardous waste containors, awaiting pickup. So I guess I got off easy this time!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 PM

All i did to mine was i put an air hose in the filler , opened the drain valve on the filter and connected a hose onto the drain valve. put some commpressted air to the tank and the m ix went thruogh the filter until it was empty. then i replaced the filter.

Last edited by 12 valver; 12-28-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: oops
Old 12-30-2007, 10:32 AM

truckers use to use gas to keep diesel from jelling. isuzu recomends up to 5 gal of gas in their 13 gallon tank to keep from jelling. you will not have a problem if you top it off and drive it. i have been burning transmission fluid,burnt oil,keroseen in my truck for 2 years with NO PROBLEMS at all.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Add a gallon of two-stroke and fill the rest up with diesel. No problem
Old 12-30-2007, 12:08 PM

I also have been there, done that. As far as adding 2 stroke oil or other additive and running it, to each his own. I will not run fuel that has had gas in it. I had it pumped out where it sat at the fuel pump and then filled it with #2. As far as what to do with the gas/diesel mix, as several have said you can use a little at a time, the difference is I would put a gallon of diesel into a full tank of gas and used to do this back in the 1960s. It was supposed to work like upper cylinder lube for the gas engine. I don't know if it did but I never had any problems.

As for adding gas to diesel for antigelling that works fine for the old injector pumps that were not hitting 22,000+ psi. Just my $0.02 worth
Old 12-30-2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by realfast
truckers use to use gas to keep diesel from jelling.
No we don't.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by adamkn
Hey guys - I got a little distracted at the gas station today and picked the wrong pump. I didn't realize what I had done until I already had 13 gallons of gasoline pumped into my truck. The tank was already 1/4 full of diesel.

I just turned the truck on for about 5 seconds to pull away from the pump and into a parking space, where it's still sitting right now.

My thought is that Id like to use a pump to empty out the tank as best I can, then re-fill with diesel & additive, and replace the fuel filter.

Question for you guys - I understand I need to remove the filler neck from the gas tank, because there's a check valve in the filler neck that would prevent me from putting the pump tubing thru it - sound right? If so, could someone tell me what tools are needed to remove the filler neck? I'd like to make sure I have all the tools I need with me when I get a ride back to my truck at the gas station.

Thanks for any input!
Adam
I don't know if you thought of this or not but I would use some type of manual pump, not an electrical pump. Electrical pump could cause the gas to ignite from spark. Just my .02 Someone was stealing gas awhile back by taking a battery powered drill and drilling the gas tank and catching it in containers, until the spark from the drill motor set them on fire.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RATTLINRAM
I'm thinking that's not a very good answer! I think that would be awful bad on the injection pump and probably anything else that was designed for diesel only.
I can't help with info on the tools you need but hopefully someone can give you some help.
On a common rail engine, I'm agreein with Rattlin on this one. You may get away with that on an old 12 valve without even noticing any changes. On a 24 valve or a common rail, I personally would drain everything like you did and refill it. I probably would not take off the tank but I would make every effort to get all I could out of there. One thing for sure, If you run one with that much gas, it will most likely let you know in a little while whether it likes it or not.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by charliez
I almost did the oposite the other day. Was drining the wifes car to a Christmas family event and stopped to top off the tank on the way home. Out of habit, I almost grabbed the green handle and filled it up.
I almost did something similar, except the new gas station near my house has black handles on the gas and green on the diesel and have both at each pump.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:46 AM

I will scan the isuzu manual and post it for you non belivers. as far as dicarding the filter after you pump the gas/diesel mixture thru is a waste of money since the viscosity of gas is less than diesel it passes thru the filter. And my 98 twelve valver will be running long after the new high pressure injector engines are long gone. any one got some old burnt motor oil? Ha Ha
Old 12-31-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by realfast
truckers use to use gas to keep diesel from jelling.

Originally Posted by Guardrail
No we don't.

yes we do

most of the older motors can handle it without problem. these newer engines are much more touchy about what goes through them
Old 01-01-2008, 09:37 AM

Well, my Bro-n-law did this EXACT same thing while he was on vacation in Kentucky. He called me late one night and asked what he should do. This is what we did and the truck has had NO ill effects from it.
I had him tell me how many gallons he put in, which was almost 11 gal. I had him go into the store and buy 12 qts. of cheap ATF. and dump it into the tank. Then had him finish filling the truck with diesel. Told him to get back on the highway,(he was headed back toward TEXAS) and just drive it at a about 70 mph. until it got down to 3/4 tank, at that point, refill it with diesel. After that cycle, all the way back to Texas, had him stop for fuel when the truck got to 1/2 tank.
Im by no means a chemical engineer, but I KNOW there is something about ATF that can basically neutrallize gasoline in diesel fuel.

Quick Reply: Oops! Put gas in fuel tank - how do I drain it out?