Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Oops! Put gas in fuel tank - how do I drain it out? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/oops-put-gas-fuel-tank-how-do-i-drain-out-184199/)

adamkn 12-26-2007 03:11 PM

Oops! Put gas in fuel tank - how do I drain it out?

Hey guys - I got a little distracted at the gas station today and picked the wrong pump. I didn't realize what I had done until I already had 13 gallons of gasoline pumped into my truck. The tank was already 1/4 full of diesel.

I just turned the truck on for about 5 seconds to pull away from the pump and into a parking space, where it's still sitting right now.

My thought is that Id like to use a pump to empty out the tank as best I can, then re-fill with diesel & additive, and replace the fuel filter.

Question for you guys - I understand I need to remove the filler neck from the gas tank, because there's a check valve in the filler neck that would prevent me from putting the pump tubing thru it - sound right? If so, could someone tell me what tools are needed to remove the filler neck? I'd like to make sure I have all the tools I need with me when I get a ride back to my truck at the gas station.

Thanks for any input!
Adam

FMB 12-26-2007 04:34 PM

Only 13 gal out of 36? I'd top it off with diesel and drive it like I stole it. [coffee]

catdiesel 12-26-2007 04:38 PM

I have no idea about the filler neck but thtat gas needs to get out of there. These injectors are looking for a reason to fail and gas wont help them at all. Gas really has no lubricity properties like diesel does.

RATTLINRAM 12-26-2007 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by FMB (Post 1858899)
Only 13 gal out of 36? I'd top it off with diesel and drive it like I stole it. [coffee]

I'm thinking that's not a very good answer! [nonono] I think that would be awful bad on the injection pump and probably anything else that was designed for diesel only.

I can't help with info on the tools you need but hopefully someone can give you some help.

oldblues 12-26-2007 04:55 PM

hi
what if he just added a quart or two of 2 cycle oil ?

would that not solve the lubracaion prob and fill the tank with diesel ? ?

drive it easy for a while prob be fine !

fredbert 12-26-2007 06:27 PM

How about opening the drain valve at the fuel filter canister and bumping the starter once a minute or so until the tank is empty? It probably won't take any longer than taking things apart in the cold.

hink 12-26-2007 06:29 PM

13 gals. of gas is more than I'd want to mix with diesel. I don't think there's any kind of check valve in the filler neck. There is a spring in it though that might cause problems when sticking a tube or hose down it. I'd say just try to get a hose down in it, if that works, fine, if not then you may have to drop the tank and drain it. Or, take the filler hose off at the tank and stick your siphon hose in that way.

Redbeard 12-26-2007 06:32 PM

Any 12v pump with 3/8" or 1/2" hose will fit into tank to remove contaminated fuel. Drop tank and clean out thouroghly with diesel. Reinstall tank. Fill with "diesel" and add some type of lube for "diesel". I use Lucas. Buy it at truck stops in gallon jug. Don't run that bad fuel it will mess up your fuel system quick. Then you got a major problem. Be sure to use plenty of lube in that fuel.[deadhors]

Mopardan 12-26-2007 10:57 PM

I did the same thing a couple of years ago @ 4:30 pm. Put 8 gal in it. Pushed it away from the pumps and called the local shop. The owner is a friend of mine and he sent a roll back wrecker to pick it up, and he stayed late to get me going. He said he pumped out about a gal and started smelling gas bad. Wrecker fee, labor, and 36 gals of diesel was about $360. I wasn't taking any chances![duhhh]

adamkn 12-26-2007 11:13 PM

Thanks for all the input.

I dont know why, but I didn't have any luck getting the in-tank pump to keep running for more than like 5-10 seconds. I would turn the key on so that the grid heaters come on, and leave it in that position, but the pump shut off pretty quick. I tried bumping the starter real quick, but that didn't make any difference? If someone could fill me in on what was wrong, it'd be good to know for next time this happens.

Anyway, I got a simple mechanical hand pump from NAPA. I removed the filler neck tube from the fuel tank (not bad, just needed a screwdriver to loosen the clamp). And I put the pump tubing into the tank. I just pumped it a few times, and then the fuel came out on it's own....but not very fast. Took about an hour to get roughly 20 gallons out. when I got everything out that I could, I checked the fuel gauge, and it wasn't all the way on empty, but pretty close. Put everything back together, put in 32oz of power service and topped it off with diesel.

Fired it up - and it ran a little rough for like 3 seconds, but I attribute that to being a result of draining the fuel filter canister. If anything, the truck runs smoother and quieter. Which I guess I can attribute to the bottle of power service. Ive driven about 5 miles since, and nothing seems off. Any particular symtoms I should watch for?

I'm going to replace my fuel filter, but I think I'll wait till I hit about 300 miles - by that time most all of the gas should be gone. I'll top it off a few more times to help dilute whatever gas remains.

So, other than having to work outside, in the dark, for 2.5 hours when it was 35 degrees out, I think everything worked out pretty well!

Several people have said that I should have dropped the tank, and cleaned it out real well (completely removing all gas). But can anyone explain why it would make that much of a difference, to warrant all the extra work? I understand gas has a lower lubricity and can hurt some of the seals in the CP3, but knowing I got MOST of the gas out (maybe a couple gallons of it left?), then topped it off with diesel and put plenty of power service in, can a small percentage of gas really do any damage??

Thanks again!
A

FMB 12-26-2007 11:19 PM

You will be fine. What did you do with the 20 gallons?

adamkn 12-27-2007 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by FMB (Post 1859571)
You will be fine. What did you do with the 20 gallons?

I left it in bins at the gas station. I told the manager I was going to pick it up when I figured out what to do with it. If anyone has ideas for me, let me know! (Central ohio)

JeepManIowa 12-27-2007 09:11 AM

Do you have a local hazardous materials drop off area in your neck of the woods?

The local fire department should know where one is as should somebody in "city hall".

You wouldn't be the first person to do that. I'm quite sure my turn is coming up. :)

johnh 12-27-2007 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by adamkn (Post 1859830)
I left it in bins at the gas station. I told the manager I was going to pick it up when I figured out what to do with it. If anyone has ideas for me, let me know! (Central ohio)

have the station owner put it back in their tank

CamperAndy 12-27-2007 10:22 AM

Take the bins of gas/diesel mix home and use it a couple of gallons at a time. Will not hurt in low amounts.