Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

That new Duramax.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NavyDood
Already done on the 2011 C&C's. 2012 for the pick ups.
Yeah i saw that last time I was lookin around the dealership. noticed a second filler neck, didnt realize they had started runnin urea yet.

I'm personally not a big fan of the new chevy's. the fenders look funny to me for starters, and I'm not real big on popping a hood and not being able to see any ground under it. There's more wires on that thing than the submarines I work on.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 PM
PCM

I'm really liking the new Chevy 35000srw crew cab 6.5 foot bed trucks. I'm going to check one out tomorrow in person. I've been told if one drives it, you'll want it. I know I have a good truck in my low mileage '06, but the level of(or lack of) refinement is tiring on longer trips. Part of me says totally keep the Ram, but another part says sell it while its still worth something and get a new truck. phillip
Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess you all missed the news that Cummins is coming out with an improved 6.7L engine. With 800 lb.-ft. of torque at 1600 rpm, power is increased across a wide speed range of 1200-2700 rpm. This delivers up to 46 additional HP at typical highway cruising speeds while maintaining 350 HP at 3000 rpm.. http://www.rvbusiness.com/2011/02/cu...-turbo-diesel/
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Test drove the new Ford F 350 yesterday, nice ride, dealer had no idea of exhaust brake option, of course I dont know either, (I always said never another truck with out EB) he just kept saying best selling trucks for 33years in a row! Have no payments right now and kinda liking that but????? Gettin the itch. Dont like the GM IFS so will go test drive the Dodge here in next day or 2.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DBLR
Guess you all missed the news that Cummins is coming out with an improved 6.7L engine. With 800 lb.-ft. of torque at 1600 rpm, power is increased across a wide speed range of 1200-2700 rpm. This delivers up to 46 additional HP at typical highway cruising speeds while maintaining 350 HP at 3000 rpm.. http://www.rvbusiness.com/2011/02/cu...-turbo-diesel/
Yep. I'm wondering what Dodge's plan really is though. Sticking with the soot choking Bluetec theory is not the direction they should be going. Urea is the future and it is proving itself on the other platforms other than severe cold weather issues that they are working on. I hope this is just an interim power increase as a mid year crisis.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
If the price at the pump keeps going up,the price of a new truck should go down like last time. Toyota couldn't give a Tundra away but now they're everywhere. We'll see..
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 AM

Thumbs down Never Buy another Chevy again

I had a 2004 Chevy Duramax and Allison combo. Never had any problems till 124,000 miles. On a long trip the output housing of the tranny to the transfer case cracked perpendicular to the stiffening ribs allowing the fluid to drain slowly, bleeding to death.

This caused enough damage to the tranny that it needed to be rebuilt. But, Chevy dosn't allow anyone other than a dealer to order a tranny. I looked into doing other options from the internet but it was my daily driver and needed it quickly. Well to find out the Allison from Chevy is $4000, with another $4000 core charge till they get yours back. Talking with an Allison shop they could sell it if they were allowed to for about $1700.

Asked Chevy to help with some of the costs since I was 24k from their 100k warranty and what they do with price gouging and forcing you to buy from them, but being how they were they said no. Apparrently the $46,000 I spent on their product was only supposed to last 5 years. I had proof of all maint. done to the truck too, but still refused to do anything. For this reason I went back to a Dodge, but a manual this time. I won't ever own another GM again. "Most dependable, longest lasting trucks on the road"....MY A##
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NavyDood
Yep. I'm wondering what Dodge's plan really is though. Sticking with the soot choking Bluetec theory is not the direction they should be going. Urea is the future and it is proving itself on the other platforms other than severe cold weather issues that they are working on. I hope this is just an interim power increase as a mid year crisis.
Why not? Not a bad sales point to not have to carry DEF.. And if you think the others aren't as soot choking, then they did a good sales job. The DEF does NOTHING to get rid of soot, just adds to the exhaust to aid the EGR in keeping NOx levels in check. They still regen, produce soot and run rich to do it.

If you think about it, there is a reason that Cummins didn't just boost the entire torque line up to 800 ft-lbs. They are playing the emissions game and figured out the way to stay "within" the Hp threshold for NOx. Just like an OTR engine, power where you need it to tow with, not look good on a dyno sheet. Who runs at 3200 rpm anyway?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Why not? Not a bad sales point to not have to carry DEF.. And if you think the others aren't as soot choking, then they did a good sales job. The DEF does NOTHING to get rid of soot, just adds to the exhaust to aid the EGR in keeping NOx levels in check. They still regen, produce soot and run rich to do it.

If you think about it, there is a reason that Cummins didn't just boost the entire torque line up to 800 ft-lbs. They are playing the emissions game and figured out the way to stay "within" the Hp threshold for NOx. Just like an OTR engine, power where you need it to tow with, not look good on a dyno sheet. Who runs at 3200 rpm anyway?
I agree with everything you said...except that with the SCR/Urea, it takes LESS of the DPF and EGR to meet emissions...so in fact, things do stay cleaner. Is it like an old Tier 2 engine, no...but it's way better than the current crap.

SCR is THE ONLY WAY to meet Tier 4 Final emissions regulations. Period. Why not get in now and get the problems irons out. Cummins already knows how to do it, they are on the real trucks....it's just Dodge that doesn't want to make the switch
Chris
Old 02-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Chapter President

Ok.. I learned something new. Thanks Chris.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rumor has it all Dodge's will have SCR for 2012.

MikeyB
Old 02-24-2011, 03:57 PM

As I understand it the only reason Dodge could up the TQ to 800 was due to the improvement they made in beefing up the six speed auto, the six speed manual trans can't handle the extra power so they will stay at 350 HP/650 TQ.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Chapter President

You can't even get 350 hp with the 6spd manual can you?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is what my '05 duramax made me do to it 5mo after I bought it.. (blew both headgaskets) Nothing else compares to the comfy interior though, except most the bulbs burn out and you cant just replace them.

Linky to all pictures
Old 02-25-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Deezil
This is what my '05 duramax made me do to it 5mo after I bought it.. (blew both headgaskets) Nothing else compares to the comfy interior though, except most the bulbs burn out and you cant just replace them.

Linky to all pictures
Sorry about your luck....but headgasket problems are not really something the Duramax is known for. They have enough head bolts in those things they shouldn't have

Chris

Quick Reply: That new Duramax.......