Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

My other turbodiesel ride!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Erska
Oh and by the way, the 504 Pick-Up is most selling European made Pick-up of all time!
Great projects! I wish we had more diesel cars here on this side of the pond!

I WANT THIS!

Old 06-27-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Citroen? . Hah, we have some little nuts in this forum as well.

Moving in the Finland is easier than moving in the usa.

Take a good read of this:
http://www.expat-finland.com/living_...and/index.html
Wow thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Update:

I put my 504 on the track and she did very well!

It was my first 1/4 mile ever, so it was very logical to drive it with a same car what was the first car I have ever driven.

Time slip looked like this:
ET: 16,289 s
SP: 138,73km/h
RT: 0,730s
60ft: 2,498
330ft: 6,889 s
660ft: 10,539 s
990ft: 13,584 s

And all I have done to this engine is installing a Scwitcher S2 turbo from a Valmet tractor, 3" thick intercooler and turned the fuel screw from the Bosch Ve!!

I still can play with the thorttle linkage to get some more fuel and change the timing. Or of course then I can allways use the first gen cummins stock 12mm plungers and my Dodges stock Holset which is a direct fit because the same flange.

Here's some pics:

That was possibly the first 504 on track ever in Finland! These are getting really rare! I got allmost as much attention than I would with my Dodge At least by judging the spectators faces.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:35 PM

Or of course then I can allways use the first gen cummins stock 12mm plungers
There is only one plunger in the VE pump, and it is specific to the # of cylinders. I thought your little car only had 4 cylinders? If so it won't work.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 PM

Oh well, at least they have put this in the same pumps than I have here in Finland:
http://www.holysmoke.fi/hsd/hsdshop/...l3h11l4qelpho6

Maybe it's the 4bt version, but still, I can fit one
Old 02-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Hello once again. I have total of 5 504's now on my hands!

I have a 72 ,74,76 and two 78's.

The 72 was a diesel and I converted it to a historic rally car! I just finished welding up the roll-cages! It also has an original 504 2 liter gas engine in it. It hasn't run since 1983 when somebody took it off the road.
But now it does!
Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UKD_6pnUA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxxH7g0C6dY
Here's a picture of the roll-cages:

If you guys are interested, there's some more pictures of the rally car project in here:
http://kuvablogi.com/blog/9142/11/

The 74 I bought few months ago is just a spare parts car, that 72 rally project car caught on fire due the welding and I lost nothing more than the fuse box and couple wires around it. I have also welded new sheet metal on the car, something like half of the car is newly welded 27 years of sitting is not good.

And one of the two 78's is a spare parts car as well. The another 78 and the most important 504 to me is getting an expensive 100% restauration when I have time and money to do that. It's getting museum plates.

And the 76, the turbodiesel what this topic is all about is getting a new flywheel and clutch from a original turbodiesel, which is a little bigger. I also bought a new limited slip diffrential . The one it had was 3.7, I destroyed that, now it has 3.88 but it's too tall. The one I'm getting now is 3.37.

And I have also bought a supercharger for the V6 engine and I have made some progress with it.

So would it look good or bad under my 504 hood? It doesn't need scoops like the diesel does, so it would be a sleeper. Of course.
Here's the v6 at the moment:

Here's some more pictures of the V6 project:
http://kuvablogi.com/blog/9142/12/

Like I told you guys on the first post, the V6 does not fit there because the tall head&valve cover. Brake booster is on it's way.

So I have managed to get around of this problem by fitting a chevy van hydrobooster in it, it fits directly in after new bigger holes are drilled on the firewall. And I have no intension to use a power steering on my 504, so I bought a electrohydraulic power steering pump, which works like a traditional power steering pump, but it is not powered the belt on front of the engine . It's powered with 12V dc. I'm going to put it on the trunk and run the oil lines under the car to the booster!

Here the hydrobooster is with the V6 on the 78 spare parts car!

All right, let's smoke'em!

Thanks!

(I'm willing to hear some comments as well! )
Old 02-19-2010, 10:50 AM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice
Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Anything with a blower looks good under a hood!

Cool project.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:20 AM

Citroen? . Hah, we have some little nuts in this forum as well.

Hey you, what do you mean with that. Citroen made the CX diesel and turbodiesel, you can still find few in Europe, definitely rare in the US.

Citroen beat Peugeot 2 to 0, you know that.....

Joking aside, are you sure Peugeot didn't make a turbodiesel ? Citroen used same motors, the 2.2l was aspirated but the 2.4l was turbocharged. If I remember correctly there was a 504 or 505 TD in Europe in the early '80s, but my memory now plays tricks.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Valv
Hey you, what do you mean with that. Citroen made the CX diesel and turbodiesel, you can still find few in Europe, definitely rare in the US.

Citroen beat Peugeot 2 to 0, you know that.....

Joking aside, are you sure Peugeot didn't make a turbodiesel ? Citroen used same motors, the 2.2l was aspirated but the 2.4l was turbocharged. If I remember correctly there was a 504 or 505 TD in Europe in the early '80s, but my memory now plays tricks.
Nothing special, I'm just not a fan of front wheel driven cars. I dislike even the new Peugeots. FWD, no soul.

Heeeey, without Peugeot Citroen would be gooooone long before CX

They had 1.9 Indenor diesel, 2,1 and 2.3 in a 504, but never turbocharged. But they had a turbocharged 2.3 Indenor turbodiesel in a 604 which they introduced in 1978. It was the first turbocharged diesel engine in a passanger vehicle in the WORLD. Followed closely by MB. I just told earlier that I did not find a turbodiesel engine when I looked a diesel engine on my 504.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:18 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Cool projects.
Growing up in Africa I know these cars well and they don't die. As a teenager I owned quite a few 203's and even under my rough handling on dirt roads, they never died or let me down. The only problem was rust.
The Peugeot's had some strange idea's but they worked. For instance, the rear ends were worm drive with a bronze crown wheel. The drive shaft was enclosed with a single u-joint at the rear of the transmission. The 203 had a single transverse leaf spring in the front. As a teenager I never had much money to spend fixing my cars, so on one of them with the rack and pinion steering the center tooth on the rack wore away and in the straight ahead position I could freely spin the steering wheel. It gave my passengers heart attacks, but as soon as the car veered, the next tooth caught and I had steering again. Them were they days!
Old 02-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Hah. 203, that's an old one. Nice one though. One of my fellow peugeot enthusiast in here is doing a restauration on a 403 wagon and doing a diesel conversion in it.

504 has enclosed driveshaft as well. But because it's independent suspension all a way around, there is no yokes. just a straight bar with center bearing. Diffrential is hypoid type.

Wagon and pick-up+ the L model has a live axle and the type of suspension you just described, except hypoid diffrential and wagon+ sedan L has coil springs. Wagon with 8 seats has four coil springs on the rear.

Here's the green 76 turbodiesel beneath on a lift where you can see the suspension.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
so is it faster than the cummins?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:59 AM

No of course it's not. But it's not all about that it's very nice on it's own way And who knows what happens with the supercharged v6?

After all it weights only 1200kilos/ 2650 pounds.

I mean, this car uses the same V6 engine what I'm putting on my 504.
http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/7722/index.html

I really like that as well
Old 07-15-2010, 01:34 PM

Haa! Now I have the most unique 504 on the world on my hands! I did a big trip all the way to France and bought a Peugeot 504 2.3 diesel 4x4 Dangel Station Wagon!

It has limited slips front and back, selectable four wheel drive/2 wheel drive!

It is in a decent shape but those French-arabs does not really care about their cars and they have used carbon fiber to fix the rust spots... Horrible. At least in those conditions the outside sheet metal is ok . I took the fibers off and I'm going to fix the rust spots the right way. Using sheet metal and a welding machine!

The only problem I got with the car was that the engine seized on German autobahn Haha. Thank god it was 14 kilometers before the car boat to Finland.
In Finland we got a trailer ride with my girlfriends dad 2" lifted Grand Cherokee Jeep.

I also found out why the engine seized. When they build up this 4x4 conversion in the shop(not a Peugeot conversion) they had to modify the oil pan and the oil suction tube and their stupid copper fixings broke. The oil pump didn't get any oil because the broken oil suction tube inside the sump.

Oh well. I bought another Peugeot(505) for engine transplant. It's getting an 2.3 l diesel like before but this is an original turbodiesel with a KKK charger and Bosch VE injection pump!

Also the car is getting bigger tires and it's going to be painted the same green than all my 504's are.

Here's few pics!

In Luxemburg:

A beautiful lagoon somewhere in the Alp France:

Finally in Finland waiting the trailer ride!:

And the Jeep with the 2" lift, there you can see some difference:

And here on my home garage next to the turbodiesel sedan. Started parting it out already. Notice a little difference in HEIGHT!:

I have big plans with this car my friends...

Quick Reply: My other turbodiesel ride!