General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

M11 wants to die, revs funny

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M11 wants to die, revs funny

Hi all, just started my new job back home. Driving a 95 FLD for the time being, has a 10 speed and an M11 rated at 350. Has 1.4 million miles, but runs good. The problem comes with letting out the clutch, in any gear, from a dead stop. I can finesse it to start out in 3rd with an empty 40 ft flatbed, but sometime it will just die. Other times it will simply die starting it 1st. I've noticed that while trying to get the 'sweet spot', if it starts to die, and you push the clutch back in, it immediately revs to about 1200 rpm for a second or two, and will drop to about 650 again. Once you get it going, it drives fine and has good power for what we do with it. I know it's electronic, and the boss is a little upset as he doesn't have a way to check it. What do you guys think, short of taking it to a dealer and having them check it out?

Me and him both are getting fed up with it, I told him I'd rather be driving the 87 with a NTC350 Cummins, even though it has 2.1 million on it. At least we can get that truck to take off.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like it is sucking air into the fuel system, what does it have for a fuel filtering system on it?
Old 10-13-2007, 09:44 PM

Yeah, sounds like a fuel problem, especially if it's not throwing a code. I would throw a fuel pressure gauge on the pump and check it.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kas83
Hi all, just started my new job back home. Driving a 95 FLD for the time being, has a 10 speed and an M11 rated at 350. Has 1.4 million miles, but runs good. The problem comes with letting out the clutch, in any gear, from a dead stop. I can finesse it to start out in 3rd with an empty 40 ft flatbed, but sometime it will just die. Other times it will simply die starting it 1st. I've noticed that while trying to get the 'sweet spot', if it starts to die, and you push the clutch back in, it immediately revs to about 1200 rpm for a second or two, and will drop to about 650 again. Once you get it going, it drives fine and has good power for what we do with it. I know it's electronic, and the boss is a little upset as he doesn't have a way to check it. What do you guys think, short of taking it to a dealer and having them check it out?

Me and him both are getting fed up with it, I told him I'd rather be driving the 87 with a NTC350 Cummins, even though it has 2.1 million on it. At least we can get that truck to take off.
I know this might sound stupid, but I have seen this before. Is it possible that there is a chance that the splitter line may have a slight kink in it somewhere and when you go back to low range its not letting it kick down into low? Therefore you would be trying to take off in 6th which would kill the engine or when you pushed the clutch back in just before it died it will rev back up. Try flipping your splitter setting still w/engine off and 125# of air on the system and listen for a distinct change from high to low. just my .02
Old 10-19-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ftltmp
I know this might sound stupid, but I have seen this before. Is it possible that there is a chance that the splitter line may have a slight kink in it somewhere and when you go back to low range its not letting it kick down into low? Therefore you would be trying to take off in 6th which would kill the engine or when you pushed the clutch back in just before it died it will rev back up. Try flipping your splitter setting still w/engine off and 125# of air on the system and listen for a distinct change from high to low. just my .02

Definately goes to low. I've noticed that just by shutting off the high idle(tapping brake pedal in neutral), the truck will die down to about 300, then rev up, and idle normally.

Will definately take a look at the fuel system and check it out. Thanks guys.