24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Drive, DIE, drive, DIE?!?....I'm clueless :confused:

Old 09-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drive, DIE, drive, DIE?!?....I'm clueless :confused:

drive, die, drive, die..........?!?!!?

Truck:
2nd gen 2002 dodge ram 2500
Current Milage: 126.000 (have a company vehicle that eats most of all the annual business miles!)

Replaced at 120.000 miles 9-14-2010:
-Primary fuel pump is the Fuel Boss mechanical Fuel Pump System from Glacier Diesel Power,

-Seconday (back-up pump) is the FASS DDRP Direct Drop In to replace factory pump, from Glacier Diesel Power,

The Direct Drop In is to initiate when fuel pressure drops below 12 PSI,...however,...that does not actually happen.

-Maximizer Big Fuel Line Kit,from Glacier Diesel Power,

-FASS F/W 2 micron separator kit,from Glacier Diesel Power,

-Old VP44 is replaced with a Blue Chip diesel Special X pump

-Edge Products: 2001-2002 Dodge 5.9L Cummins Juice w/ Attitude CTS

Problem:
Truck dies while driving at any speed, even when my fuel tank is always inbetween half empty and FULL.
I add about 250 ml of LUCAS fuel addtive/injector cleaner at every fill up.
Sometimes I can drive for 5 minutes, and sometimes for 10-15 or even 20 minutes before the truck JUST shuts down out of nowhere!
The Engine doesnt give any warning either,...out of the blue,...it just shuts down,?!?!?!? (like turning the ignition key off but without actually doing that)

Truck starts a bit rough,..but then corrects it's self pretty quick (within 5 seconds),....runs like a sunshine at idle 800Rpm.
The Fuel pressure used to be 18 PSI continous no matter how high or low the rpm,..however after this "die" while driving event, the fuel pressure drops to a mere 6PSI at idle, when I reve the engine up to 1000Rpm or higher the fuel pressure restores itself back to 17-18 PSI

All this was two weeks ago,.....my truck has been sitting on my driveway since!
I'm worried about starting/running my truck,...due to the extremely low fuel pressures during idle.
I really do not want too mess up another VP44! $$$$$$$

Codes through CTS:
*P0230: Fuel Pump Primary Circuit
*P1693: Fault In Companion Module

Checked:
-The Big Boss Fuel Pump is the Primary Circuit, with "normally" 17-18PSI,....so I'm not sure how this can even be a problem?!?!?
Although,...there is a very very small amount of play on the axle of the Fuel Boss pump,...the belt on the other hand has about half an inch of (flex) play.
I'm not really sure how to get that out either?,...put some metal shins inbetween the mounting bracket or something?!?!?

-Fault in Companion Module? Which Module? ECM, PCM, Juice with Attitude?!?!? which??????
-Cleaned all Electrical connectors, even the ones without residue.
-Fuel lines,
-Replaced F/W separator filter and fuel filters.
-Oil filters
-Transmission oil change and filters - there was NO metal parts in old oil.
-Diconnect the Edge CTS and juice, problem still there

***I havent cleaned out the fuel tank yet,....mainly due to the fact that I do not have a container big enough to hold a FULL tank of diesel in!
Plus,...as far as i know of,....cleaning out a fuel tank is/was only effective on the steel fuel tanks from older vehicles,....never heard of cleaning out a plastic one.

I tried diconnecting the Edge CTS and juice,.....however,...the "die out of nowhere" problem is still there!

So,...Did anyone come across the same problem,....and if so what was the cause of it?

Next to all of that,.....my AUTOMATIC transmission was hunting / having trouble going into 4th gear right before it died the FIRST time!

I have no clue where/what else it could be,...please help!

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:54 PM

This sounds like a electrical short or computer problem to me. I don't think it is a fuel problem and it sounds like your primary fuel pump is working as it should. Are you able to start it right after it dies or does it take a bit to start again?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Are you running the lift pump off the computer?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by tmills
This sounds like a electrical short or computer problem to me. I don't think it is a fuel problem and it sounds like your primary fuel pump is working as it should. Are you able to start it right after it dies or does it take a bit to start again?
My truck will start right after the shutdown,...run a bit rough at first, 3 to 5 seconds later it runs normal again.
Then 5,10,15 minutes later it'll shut down on its own again

If I'm not mistaking there are three computers on board,....so if it is a computer problem,....then WHICH computer needs replacing?

Anyone?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

It would be the ECM. But it sounds like it's running out of fuel
Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Polaraco
Are you running the lift pump off the computer?
The Primary Fuel Pump is the Fuel Boss mechanical Fuel Pump System,...which is directly driven by the engine, via a rubber belt transfer.

The Secondary (back-up pump) is the FASS DDRP Direct Drop In to replace factory (p.o.s) pump, which delivers 18 to 20 PSI aswell,...that one is as far as i know of indeed controlled by a computer.

Does anyone have an idea of whats going on with my rig?

thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Check all major electrical connections AND grounds. Sounds like an electrical problem.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what about the intake fuel pick up screen? clean or dirty..or bypassed?
I found mine was so plugged that it tore the screen..took 2 cans of cleaner to find the screen..sure i bought the truck used..

what happens if you wire the lift pump to the battery..bypassing all ECM functions?
does it die? what the fuel pressure?

did I miss the answer? what the fuel pressure while running? at the IP? 10+ great..when it dies? still 10+??

-dkenny

ps..I know I'm not an expert here..but I had troubles with my truck and sometimes to the simple things that cause the most problems. is the mechanical pump providing the PSI needed?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:21 PM

I would check for something in fuel tank, gets sucked up plugging off fuel. engine quits, unplugs, over and over again
Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 PM

I appreciate all the advice guys!

Are there any other computers besides the ECM?
If it IS the ECM,....can I just order it and install it myself, and it all will be OK?
OR does the ECM need vehicle related calibrating/settings by a dealer???

Apart from buying at a dealer, does anyone have any idea where to buy a NEW ECM & what the cost $$$ is going to be?

thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by dkenny
what about the intake fuel pick up screen? clean or dirty..or bypassed?
I found mine was so plugged that it tore the screen..took 2 cans of cleaner to find the screen..sure i bought the truck used.. I havent checked the tank yet, mainly due to the fact that I have no container big enough to hold 30 gallons in

what happens if you wire the lift pump to the battery..bypassing all ECM functions?I havent tried that one yet either, mainly because my PRIMARY Liftpump is an aftermarket mechanical one, its called "THE FUEL BOSS" heres a link to the product >>>'98.5-'02 Fuel Boss Mechanical Lift Pump System
does it die? what the fuel pressure? @800 it drops to a mere 6PSI which USED TO BE 18PSI solid continuous no matter how high or low the rpms were.

did I miss the answer? what the fuel pressure while running?18PSI at the IP? 10+ great..when it dies? still 10+??

-dkenny

ps..I know I'm not an expert here..but I had troubles with my truck and sometimes to the simple things that cause the most problems. is the mechanical pump providing the PSI needed?

Originally Posted by wmcclay
I would check for something in fuel tank, gets sucked up plugging off fuel. engine quits, unplugs, over and over again
You and dkenny got a good point there,...I'll start tapping off my fuel tank as soon as I find something BIG enough to hold all 30 gallons,

Once again, I really appreciate all the input guys!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 99 did that several years ago and it ended up being the MAP sensor. I had a amzoil air filter and the oil gets pulled in through the turbo and on to the MAP sensor and throws the engine into protective mode. I use a stock paper filter now. My 2 cents

Mike