1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getting a '90 Ram, clueless, what should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Getting a '90 Ram, clueless, what should I know?

Howdy... I'm new here, and here's why:

(couple pics from the eBay auction):

I put in a bid a few days ago, but my bid was still lower than the other guy's bid (so I was instantly outbid), thought "ohwell" and forgot about it. I just got home today to find out that the guy retracted his bid and suddenly I'm the high bidder, and just won. Neat.

My first vehicle, and up until a couple months ago my daily driver, was a '78 Dodge 1/2-ton with a slant six and 4-speed that I bought for $300, spent probably $200 on in repairs, and drove 50,000 miles without any incident. I loved it, and in fact still have it. But I just started a business hauling around classic cars, and needed something nicer and more powerful. Newer diesel trucks were out of my range, but I got a 2003 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 (scoff if you want, but I got around fine in the '78 and the Ram is still faster pulling a 5,000 pound car up a hill at 70mph than the '78 ever was).

The Ram is really comfortable and does the job fine, but I wanted a diesel from the beginning, yet also wanted something in extremely nice condition since a breakdown is really bad for business. Now it's time for a project...

Well anyway, the main thing I'm wondering about is the diesel, I only have a really basic knowledge of 'em. What kind of power does this particular one make? (I'm sure it's enough for what I'm doing, but of course I'll probably wind up wanting more...) What kind of maintenance should I look at doing before getting out and driving it 14,000 miles a month? Is the automatic still the ol' 3-speed 727 at this point? I'm guessing it is since from pictures I saw it looks nearly identical to the one attached to the 413 in my '71 Dodge RV. Anything I can do to increase fuel mileage/efficiency? How about adding cruise control? I don't have a clue how the throttle/vacuum stuff works on a diesel...

Basically, anything anyone can tell me about it at all would be great to know. Thanks!

- Adam
Old 03-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Hi Adam, welcome to DTR.

Stock HP is 160 @ 2500 RPM, 400 ft/lb of torque at 1600 RPM. You can get another 50 for free, just look in the sticky. Check on advancing the timing in there too, that will help mileage.

Change all the fluids, repack the front wheel bearings, and generally check everything out.

You do have the 727, so top speed is going to be pretty low. A 3200 RPM spring is going to move to the top of your priority list pretty quickly, I think.

Cruise will be no problem. The HVAC system and the power brakes run off vacuum, so the engine has a vacuum pump. Just get a universal cruise setup and install. If it says "not for diesels" ignore it and use it anyhow, you have a better vacuum source than any gasser engine.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fluids, filters, valve set and timing would do wonders for that engine. The older engines have a tendency for the timing to erode over the miles.

(A little sudz on the CTD might not give better MPG, but you won't be afraid to tackle the mechanical adjustments)

Good buy and welcome to the DTR!!!

Here is some reading for you .. Dodgeram.org Look in the diesel section and it has maintenance schedules and instructions for anything you need including parts lists and numbers..
Old 03-06-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From one newbie to another, Welcome! This site is great for stuff like what you are asking. Guys, correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't he get at least a pyro before tweaking his pump?
And again, Welcome!

dieseljon
Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselJon
Guys, correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't he get at least a pyro before tweaking his pump?

dieseljon
But of course! Honestly though, I JUST got my pyro in last week, and even with my pump mods I had at that point, I just couldnt get it over 1000*. BUT a pyro is one of the very first things that should be done over all else.

Welcome to DTR Machinos!
That certainly is an interesting looking rig, I LIKE IT! You will certainly love it if your into old skool lookin power. N judging from what ya had before, it'll be a perfect addition. You can get a little more mileage from it too with the addition of an external overdrive unit, though pricey. Or swaping out the trans to an overdrive, or 5 speed.

Just follow Wannadiesel's, and lil dog's advice as for what ought to be done, if your lookin for just preventative maintenance items for the engine, filters, oil, a good dose of fuel treatment for 3 tanks (i like to fill my fuel filter with lucas top end lubricant when i change it out, it gives the injectors a good cleaning)
But other then the motor, repack your wheel bearings, give everything a good greasing, n tool on down the road!

Oh yeah, fill in your signature so that way we can give ya good detailed answers to anything ya might have questions on, n edit where yer from, ya never know, someone here might be your neighbor!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw that one on Ebay. Pretty much everything they said.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks like a good canidate for a sleeper to me.