General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Let's talk about CJ-4 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's talk about CJ-4 Oil

Has anybody used Shell Rotella T 15w40 in the new CJ-4 blend??

I change my oil every 5k with a new Fleetguard Stratapore filter and my next oil change will be coming up soon. Just curious if anybody has used this new oil blend yet? I know it has something to do with the emmisions standards etc.

I get my oil from Walmart and they still had the CI-4+ last time I changed. This time I didn't see anything on the shelf but the CJ-4. Has anybody used it yet? Can you tell any differences? Anything I need to know about it before I go dump 3 gallons of this stuff into my engine?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used it this time. i switched from valvoline premium blue and i think it idles better. it could be in my head though. i bought it cause it was on sale and suppose to have better wear protection. i plan on doing a oil sample at 5k.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do use the CJ-4 oil in any engine not madateing the use of CJ-4 only oil then be careful if you use any LSD fuel as it will shorten the life of the new oil by up to 50% or so IH thinks being they put out a Bulletin about it. As I understand it the new oil can not handle the higher sulfer content in LSD and this in turn will break down the oil faster and shorten its useful life up to 50%.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:04 AM

Is anybody else using this CJ-4 oil? Anymore opinions on it pro or con?

This isn't an oil war thread....I am just leery of putting this stuff in my truck until I know more about it. I am guessing it is fine, especially since I change every 5k anyway. Yes?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Is anybody else using this CJ-4 oil? Anymore opinions on it pro or con?

This isn't an oil war thread....I am just leery of putting this stuff in my truck until I know more about it. I am guessing it is fine, especially since I change every 5k anyway. Yes?
CJ-4 formulated oil has less detergents because of ULSD & particulate filters on '07+ YM trucks as compared to the CI-4+ formulation with a 12 TBN.

You will be fine with a CJ-4 oil especially since you are only running it 5K miles. According to some marketing material, the new CJ-4 oil is supposed to give lower wear numbers, but that can only be verified by UOA's.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info Arkapig. Has anybody run this CJ-4 oil thru their truck yet and did an oil analysis?? What were the results?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:17 PM
DTR Advertiser

Its better than fine and since you change @ 5K the lower TBN will matter not.

Lubrizol got the additives correct. Keep using Rotella and never look back.

If you go to extended drains, the TBN becomes more important, IMO.

Over a year ago the the Cummins M-11 test was replaced with the Cummins ISB and ISM valvetrain tests. They are tougher to pass and harder on oil wear rates. The CJ4 API oils pass with flying colors. Rotella is one of the better ones. Isodewaxed or not, it is great oil. Use it and forget it.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:00 AM

Thanks Don. U the man. My TBNs were running 9.9 according to Blackstone, with the prior Rotella.....at 5k.

You kinda lost me with the Cummins M-11 test though.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:33 AM

Has anyone see the recommended oil change intervals for the 6.7L engines?

Tad
Old 02-15-2007, 09:47 AM
wrm

something stinks o its just my rosmella oil. i wonder if they did away with that wonderful smell that there famous for .
Old 02-15-2007, 09:58 AM
DTR Advertiser

Not sure what will happen. I "think" the rosmella was caused from zinc additives. The zinc should remain.

I know that group 1 basestocks will be out for a CJ rated oil. They contained too much sulfur. This may raise the cost for us from some of the oil company selections.

Since bright stock is becoming more rare, the cheaper oils are going to be forced to use more spendy polys and such.

Owing a diesel is way more expensive now than it ever was. With the new cost of oils, fuels, EGR and low sulfur fuel systesm that are tacking on an extra 1000 bucks to the price. Owning a Diesel is net loss for most of the situations.

Anyone price a DPF yet? I heard they were costing in the thousands?? Dang.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by wrm
something stinks o its just my rosmella oil. i wonder if they did away with that wonderful smell that there famous for .

NOPE, its still there.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 AM

The TBN on the new CJ-4 valvoline premium oil is 10 , and the part number is the same for the new oil and the old CI-4 oil , the new will say CJ-4 and label face will be colored red instead of blue. I would check on Rotella and see what the TBN is and like Don says , if your changing the oil at 5 thousand miles, you will be alright.

The recommended oil change on the 6.7 truck engine is 15,000 miles , but they use a larger oil pan and bigger oil filter also.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by BaldHog
The recommended oil change on the 6.7 truck engine is 15,000 miles , but they use a larger oil pan and bigger oil filter also.
Is the the light service or normal service interval?
Old 02-18-2007, 03:39 AM

Well it sounds like the CJ-4 oil will be fine. Im sure im going to use it eventually, but im also going to wait till at least one more 5k oil change. I found and bought some more of the regular CI-4+ oil today. I would really like to hear some more opinions and UOA results from somebody that has been running it a while before I guinnea pig my truck with it. Thanks for the replys but please keep them coming if you have any experience with this new oil in our "old" trucks. (particularly Rotella). Thx.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about CJ-4 Oil