General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Let's talk about CJ-4 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sticking with Schaeffers' 15w-40 synthetic blend rated CI-4.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:19 PM

Yeah, tho't I'd sneaked in under the wire, but alas - just checked the Rotella empties to find both at CI-4 Plus\CJ-4, but the CI-4 was strangely missing from it's usual place in the circle - even provided me with a little nicely-folded poop-sheet proclaiming 'new improved triple yada-yada-yada' - good thing I add zddp at each change
Old 07-28-2007, 02:22 PM

mj007,

I was told by a Schaeffer's engineer that their 7000 (15X40) will be changing to a CJ-4. May want to double-check to make sure you're getting what you want.

Their 9000 (5X40) will remain a CI-4+.

This has been a great thread. Answered many of the questions I have had & some that I had not even thought of. Thanks!!!

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Buffalo
mj007,

I was told by a Schaeffer's engineer that their 7000 (15X40) will be changing to a CJ-4. May want to double-check to make sure you're getting what you want.

Their 9000 (5X40) will remain a CI-4+.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Thanks for the heads up, Joe!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:50 AM

So, basically CI was great oil, and CJ is crap oil which exists only because of particulate traps, and is in no way equivalent much less superior to CI...? And...CJ is basically BAD for 2006 and earlier vehicles? This would seem to mean that manufacturers should NOT replace their CI oils with CJ, but rather create new products, which apparently they aren't doing. I can run around right now and pick up all the CI I can find, but what do I do in a year or two when there is no CI any more?

Tad
Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 AM

I would not call it bad or crap, just vastly inferior for older motors. Please read the article on turbodieselregister.com. essentialy you need to cut down on miles driven to somewhere beteen 1/2 to 2/3. I think 4-5k, if that is what you are doing, no big deal. Hopefully we can find CI for a long time to come, but maybe not.
I talked to a trucker friend who runs a 2000 rig, some big Cummins motor. He had beeen running the valvoline sythetic royal blue, 7 gallons or so, 30,0000 miles, twice as much as what dino lube clled for. At 15,000 miles, that would be about 6k for us on conventional. He was unaware of CJ, so I gave him the docmentation from the turbodiesel site. He does not test. I told him I did not think running sythetic should change his interval, as soot builds, regardless. He owns his rig. I guses my point is that a lot of people do not know what is happening, just reading the feel good ads from Shell, etc.
He also has no problem finding regular old diesel at the truck stops. His truck runs better on that and gets somewhat better mileage, 5.5 or 5.75 to 6 mpg.
Similar to what others have said on the new ULSD
Old 08-02-2007, 03:13 PM

Well, I'd have to say that any change that makes the product only 1/2 to 2/3 as good is crap. In this particular case, I totally understand the need for the oil for particulate filters, but it seems to me that they should have created a new standard. We have S oils for spark ignition engines, C for compression ignition engines, and sounds like we now need a CPF standard, not CJ.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Here's what I emailed Cummins,
(I have a 2006 Ram with the 5.9L Cummins. I only burn Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel fuel. I'm using CJ-4 oil now. Are my oil/filter change intervals still 7500 miles severe duty and 15000 miles light duty?
Just wanted to make sure nothing has changed with the use of the "new" fuel and CJ-4 oil.)

This was Cummins response,
(Thanks for your Email message. You have contacted Cummins, Inc. at our Customer Assistance Center located in Columbus, Indiana. This is our worldwide headquarters and has been our home since Clessie Cummins founded the company February 3, 1919.

You maintenance schedule should be the same as before John. The new fuel meets a federally mandated fuel lubricity requirement and the CJ-4 is a low ash oil used to also help meet emissions standards. Both of these items are under scrutiny of many different authorities.

We thank you for your interest in Cummins products. We occasionally misunderstand a question. If our answer to your communication looks like we have misunderstood your e-mail please reply with further inquiry.

To locate the nearest Cummins-authorized Dealer or Distributor Service Provider use option #2 on our toll free customer assistance line 1-800-DIESELS (343-7357) or for computer assistance in locating a Service Provider, use Cummins Service Locator, which can be found on Cummins website:

http://wsl.cummins.com/ServiceLocato...n=showworldmap

Please let us know if you have other questions and if away from your computer or have a time-critical request that needs more urgent attention, feel free to call us toll-free (from North America) at option #4 on 1-800-DIESELS (343-7357).
Cummins Email (via webpage):

http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.j...33&menuIndex=7

Customer Assistance Center
Cummins, Inc.
Columbus, Indiana, USA
Old 08-07-2007, 11:58 PM

When did rotela change to CJ,I have yet to use ulsd, I am still able to get LSD in my area.And I have been useing rotela every oil change at 6500 miles intervals.Its the 15-40,but I have not notice the CJ rating,wonder if I have cause extra wear on the engine?Next oil change I will use rotela 5w40 CI4-plus.All this time and I never notice the change to CJ--darn it.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The new Rotella CJ containers are marked with 'Triple Protection' logos.

MikeyB
Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 AM

I just got my Blackstone report back. Oil change was done at 5,000 miles with Rorella CJ-4 running LSD fuel. All wear metals were at universal averages.
The TBN was 8, They state "lots of active additive left, try 6,000-mile interval for next oil change". I pesonally am going to stay with 5,000 mile intervas.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM

I just got back from Cummins southern plains,they work on the big rigs and on non warantty work on our pickups.I ask the top tech there about that if you use LSD that you should use CI-4 oil not the CJ4 oil,that should be used with ULSD.He said that it dose not make a differance between what oil or what deisel fuel you used.They are two separte systems.they dont come in contact with each other.Further he has not received any bullentin on it from cummins.I also purchase a Fleetguard oil filter stratapore which they said is the same Mopar filter you get at Dodge dealer.They buy it from us and change the name on the filter to Mopar.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great!

I've only been out of ULSD therapy for 7 weeks, and now this - what am I supposed to do?

I can't remember the last time we changed the oil, much less it's alphanumeric designation...

... I'm off to google CJ-4 Rehab + remedial maintenance
Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know if it's accessible to everyone, but on the home page of TDR they have a pdf file of a new oil analysis comparison for around 20 different oils, some CI, some CJ. Very interesting stuff. You can see the difference in what was a great oil, Chevron Delo 400 (CI) and the newer Chevron Delo 400le (CJ) which is a watered down version.
They didn't test Schaeffers 7000 or 9000. I just sent in a virgin sample of the 9000 for my own use. I'm going to run the 9000 (5w/40syn) and add a bottle of Torco MPZ FR and some LC20. I will run tests after 5000 miles.
FWIW, the CI-4 oils performed MUCH better than the CJ's in this analysis. Darned epa crap...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just checked and they added a 22nd oil sample. Comparing the new cj Cummins premium blue to the old ci Cummins PremBlue.... man there is no comparison. TBN on the new stuff is 8.42
TBN on the old is 11.6
new moly is 41
old moly is 112
Every other additive is so weak it's pathetic in comparison to the CI version.
Check it out... This new oil makes no sense to me whatsoever. Good thing I hear Schaeffers will make the CI 9000 oil until 2010. I'll be stocking up to last the lifetime of my truck...

Quick Reply: Let's talk about CJ-4 Oil