General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

KBB PPV on my truck vs ford/chevy

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KBB PPV on my truck vs ford/chevy

Just curious what KBB said my truck is worth compared to the other two and I'm suprised that the options I like (ie...5spd, SO) lowered the trucks value by $2100. Anyway, my 02 SO QC SB 4WD 5spd SLT with 96K, cap, larger tires, in good condition came to $17,505. A ford equipped exactly the same (except with a 6spd) is $18,885 and the d-max 5 spd's are $20,280! If I change the Cummins choice to HO it jumps up to $19,025! 10 more hp is worth $1500? Throwing an auto on top of the HO bumps it another $600.

If you leave all else alone and just take the diesel out of the Dodge it falls to around $12,500. The Chevy and Ford stay around $14,000. Goes to show that without the Cummins, Dodge trucks aren't worth squat!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:29 PM
KVD

Really and I hate to say this on this forum but cummins sells dodges.I like dodges and as soon as I find what I'm lookin for I'm buyin one but I thinks this is the truth imo.

If a cummins went into any other truck you would see dodges truck sells fall fast.

My cousion said this back when he got rid of his CTD.He had 01 QC long bed 5 spd 4X4 dodge with a egde comp box and now he has a 06 QC flatbed 4X4 auto powerstroke.He said, my stroke rides better, turns better, looks nicer on the in side but I know the powerstroke motor will never last near as long at the cummins.As far as auto, he said, I'll never have a dodge auto so the stroke was the next truck to buy.He said, my work truck is a 5 spd. Then I go to work and the lowboy is a 9 speed, and then if I'm in the dump truck it's a 13 speed, in short I'm just tried of shiftin gears at the end of the day and when I get home my regular truck is a 5 spd no more, so he a got an auto.

Now I know the 3rd gen truck has a nicer inside but really when the 2nd gen powerstrokes came out (superduty body styles) the inside looked alot nicer than the dodges but I want a truck for truck.I want a nice clean truck but it's gonna be used as a truck not a show thing I just look at so really as long as the inside ant some weird color I'm fine with it.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Banned

Goes to show that without the Cummins, Dodge trucks aren't worth squat!
Hell, even with the Cummins they aren't worth squat tradin' one in or selling it yourself.

I just sold my '04, payment was made today, and boy did I lose my **** with this thing.

I have been a Chevy man all my life. Usually try to buy a new truck every 2 years or so. This go-round I thought I'd give this 3rd Gen Cummins a try, biggest financial mistake I think I have ever made in my life. I have never never taken such a loss on a truck, ie selling it myself or trading one in, as I just did with this one.

Really sad thing is that a huge Dodge dealership here the metroplex actually told me that they didn't want any used Dodge Rams on their lot when I was getting this truck appraised by their sister Chevrolet Dealership.

Oh well, lesson learned. I am now a one of the millions of "Owned A Dodge Once In My Lifetime and Never Never Never Will Again" victims that are still hurting from their experience.

And the saddest thing of it all is that the CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL is such a fine piece of perfection that I'll never have the pleasure of owning again until CUMMINS gets off their azzz and supplys these things for a truck equal to their perfect engine, IE, a CHEVROLET SILVERADO.

And that's all I gotts to say in this thread........................
Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 PM

The Big Three released July sales figures today...down as much as 37% for Ford & DC from last July, off about 20% for GM.

With the deep discounts, rebates, employee pricing, factory to dealer kickbacks etc on new trucks, who's going to pay a premium for a used one?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:33 PM

If I change the Cummins choice to HO it jumps up to $19,025! 10 more hp is worth $1500?
no, but the nv5600 over a nv4500 or slushbox is...
Old 08-02-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brisco
I'll never have the pleasure of owning again until CUMMINS gets off their azzz and supplys these things for a truck equal to their perfect engine, IE, a CHEVROLET SILVERADO.
Ok, you're going off the deep end here Perfect trucks don't have IFS, have more than 6" of ground clearance, the doors don't sag, and they don't have electrical gremlins That's been my experince with chevy trucks so I'd say the Silverado's are FAR from perfect

I LOVE my Dodge truck. People say the Cummins is great, but it's too bad it's wrapped in a Dodge. I haven't had any trouble with any of the electronics. The seats are a little stiff, but it's a work truck, not a caddy. I like the boxed frame (unlike chevies that are only channel) and I like having a D60/80 combo on coils and leafs. What's not to like? That it rides harsh? Put some weight in it! It's built to work, it needs weight in it or behind it.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by nickleinonen
no, but the nv5600 over a nv4500 or slushbox is...
Gotcha, the sad thing is, the 4500 is superior to the 5600. Ever see a 5600 in a dedicated pulling truck?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Used trucks are not worth what they used to be. With the incentives they started a few years ago they no doubt hurt the used truck market. Values are way down.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yarddog
Throwing an auto on top of the HO bumps it another $600.
Not to nit pick, but it might make you feel better to know that you couldn't get an auto with the ETH.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

KBB is clueless, especially when it comes to diesel trucks. The values they list are always $2,000 to $5,000 less than what diesel trucks actually sell for, at least in my area. I put very little stock in what they say anything is worth. It is one thing to list a value, it is something very different to actually be able to buy a truck for that price (or anywhere near that price). I am not talking about just dealerships either, private prices around here are always more then KBB. These trucks don't sit on the lots long either so they are obviously not so overpriced that people aren't buying them. An 02 4wd QC w/ less than 100,000 miles for less than $20,000 around here is practically unheard of. There is very little negotiating on price on used trucks (regardless of what KBB says) because the dealer knows if you don't buy it the next guy will. When I bought my 01 last year it took months of walking away from high prices, constant searching on the internet, and finally driving to Pennsylvania, to find the truck I wanted at a price I was willing to pay (which was still higher then KBB said it was worth).