General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

VW diesel ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW diesel ?'s

A buddy of mine is looking at the new VW diesels and is being told by the salesman that once the ULSD comes into effect that the injectors will have to be changed on all VW's. He has stated that VW will take care of this at no charge on this year model but all others will have to pay out of pocket. Why would the injectors need to be changed? I would think that removing the sulpher from the fuel would cause more of a pump issue, not injectors.
Do the VW diesels have a history of longevity with only minor maintenance?
Are they really worth the additional money vs a Corolla?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:21 PM

I don't know the answer to that, but I've been considering getting a VW diesel. I wonder how much power they make etc etc, I do know that in L.A. diesel is cheaper than regular.......
Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 PM

We have (as in my girlfriend) an '06 Jetta TDI 5-speed. Awesome mileage, fun to drive. I recommend one. They will run on the ULSD just fine, but VW will not meet the EPA standards for diesels in '07, so they will stop importing them until they do, but I dont' know what the time frame is for that.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:01 PM

FYI Check out this website for info on TDIs....
http://forums.tdiclub.com
Old 07-29-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah! What rbuchana said!

My only issue is our mpg dropped to 35 in the heat of summer: 2-3mpg for heat, and 2-3 mpg for AC use! 115F days are hard to do without AC!

If you drive a lot: commute or driving trips, it will pay for itself. My wife commutes 500 miles per week. That equates to 1 tank of fuel per week: $45/wk! BTW...we bought the car in October 2005....23K miles to date, Hoping to get 250-400K out of the car, over 8-10 years!

Yes, check out the tdi club! Another awesome website....they are just as fanatical about TDI's as we are about cummins!

HTH

Tony
Old 07-29-2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Jimmy
A buddy of mine is looking at the new VW diesels and is being told by the salesman that once the ULSD comes into effect that the injectors will have to be changed on all VW's. He has stated that VW will take care of this at no charge on this year model but all others will have to pay out of pocket. Why would the injectors need to be changed? I would think that removing the sulpher from the fuel would cause more of a pump issue, not injectors.
Do the VW diesels have a history of longevity with only minor maintenance?
I recieved a bulletin last week from VW warning about ULSD and that it may damage Ip and or injectors. As far as the VW replacing the injectors, I have heard nothing to support that statement and I work in the service dept. I highly doubt that VW will do that. They have other issues to worry about! You know how salesmen are, they'll tell you whatever to make a sale!
Old 07-29-2006, 06:28 PM

why would less sulphur wreck injectors...just use a good lubricity additive like stanadyne or others
Old 07-29-2006, 07:39 PM

they suppossedly are going common rail in late 07-08.if you don't drive more then 35,000 miles a year it will take a long time to break even over say a corolla.tdi's are like gold right now.definately not the time to buy one.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:35 PM

Parents just bought a Vetta.. They've about stopped driving everything else... Mom drove it from TX to MN.. and back.. She called and said she was only getting 47mpg... Dad told her to slow down and to get it back over 50.. haha... That thing gets crazy fuel econ... I think they've put over 7K on it in the two months they have owned it... I haven't heard a thing about the injectors...

I heard the same about the Vetta's going to HPCR.. but heard it wouldn't be until the 08 model... We wanted a Passat.. but they drop the diesel for the 06.. and the Torega (sp) V10 Diesel..
Bryan
Old 07-30-2006, 08:55 AM

What type of injection pump are the 06's running? Similiar to the Dodge VP pumps?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:51 AM

To answer your question about longevity. I have 240,000 on my 2000 Jetta TDI. Apart from the usual fluid filters and timing belt the only thing this car has needed was a new ignition switch about 3000 miles ago. I can't speak about the new diesel and the potential problems but there is alot of negative B S out there about these cars. I ve heard everthing from their windshields fall out to constant electrical problems, no power , high maintance etc etc. My last commuter was a Corolla and there is no comparison between the two. 10,000 mile oil changes 50- 54 mpg and in my case at least nothing but regular maintance, fun as **** to drive, I will be getting another one when this car is done. I have a Jetta TDI for most of the same reasons I have a CTD.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Jimmy
What type of injection pump are the 06's running? Similiar to the Dodge VP pumps?
Each injector has it's own pump. There is a lift pump that supplies the fuel to the fuel rail.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:52 PM

we have an 06' with 20k miles, bought it new and love it! never had a single problem. it could be the only rig in the world that starts better then a cummins. oh and 49-54 mpg is a nice bonus too.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

I would diffinetly get a 2004 V10 TDI Touareg if i had the money. 310 hp and 535 ft/lbs of tourque can't be wrong. Only $32k on ebay.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:13 PM

I've got 2000 miles on my new '06 Jetta TDI (package 1 and 5 speed manual transmission) and am totally pleased with it so far. Its averaging 40 mpg, best tank of 47 and worst tank of 37. My Suzuki doesn't get that kind of mileage.

I love driving it. It doesn't have lots of high end power, but the low end grunt of the diesel makes it fun to drive.

As far as ULSD, I'm still looking into it, but it seems that the newer emission controls for diesels required by 2007 are contaminated by the use of high levels of sulpher - sort of like leaded gas killing O2 sensors of years ago.

I wouldn't be too concerned since there are many fuel additives that should be able to keep the pre-ULSD engines running fine for many years. If there isn't, there will be MANY irate diesel owners, and not just VW TDI'ers.

Quick Reply: VW diesel ?'s