General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Justify Owning a Dually

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Im pretty much sold. I have to find the right one though. This will probably be a truck I drive for many, many years. Thanks for all the input!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
no need to justify. i just tell people that i can tow anything i want to.
Attached Thumbnails Justify Owning a Dually-img_1229.jpg  
Old 08-08-2008, 11:48 AM

You can argue about almost anything, so here's my two bits worth. The dually handles almost like a sports car since the extra wheels act like an outrigger. Makes handling great. The duals also provide a wider platform for pulling my Fiver and does so without any tire wallow as some single wheels do. It also handles the extra weight of the trailer well. I have 158K on the truck and am on the second set of tires. First were Goodyear's from the factory and when they wore out I replaced them with Firestone Highway due to cost. So far am not disappointed in tire mileage and I love my Dually.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Chapter President

Smile

Ill start by saying I haven't hardly read anything but the first thread.

That said, I love DRW trucks, for highway and towing on well maintained roads paved or not. They look awesome and truly handle like nothing I have ridden in, I took a 35 mph off ramp at 75 in a panic in a 96 4x2 drw and it held like glue, I got those rears hummin though but it held and was quite controllable.

But,

For any sort off major off road they just are not practicle IMO. OUt here in the west we have a lot of trails that were blazed with narrow D-2 and D-4 cats in the early days. I have watched BLM and USFS crews ripp the fenders and outer duals open trying to fit down some of these trails and roads. I have also seen a rock that a SRW would ride over or kick to the side wedge itself in between and ruin both tires on a DRW.

That said I think they have there place and look sweet, if done right. It all boils down to what you need it for and what you can foresee down the road. But guys do use them all over, I just like to have my options open in the dirt. For towing a goos neck or fith wheel nothing looks sweety then a 4x4, flat bed, headache rack, brush gaurd, S-cab, DRW with mud terrains!!!

Thats my .02

D-C out!
Old 08-09-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never owned a dually but did test drive one. Now I live up north, for you snow isn't a factor, but I will say that was one white knuckle test drive for sure. It was snowing pretty good whenI took out a cc dually d-max. Of course, it had no weight in the back. When I drove it the outer rears ran straight into the snow being thrown off the fronts. This caused the back to be REALLY squirrelly. I had to put it in 4 wheel and it was still all over the place. You would need good tires and about a ton in the back to feel safe in the winter. Since I work out of the truck running balast isn't really an option for me.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
YZF450-- nice camper shell-- that's the best looking shell I've ever seen.

I love dually trucks (is it D-U-A-L-L-Y or D-U-A-L-L-I-E?). Anyway, I fell in love with them when I was younger and still love the look. To me, a lowered 2wd DRW is about as cool as can be.

If you tow-- even only rarely-- something that's fairly large, then I would wholeheartedly recommend the DRW. The stability difference is remarkable. If you don't get 4x4, you'll need about 2K in the bed to have any winter traction. I can't tell you how many 2wd DRW trucks I've pulled out of snow!

But there's no free lunch with a DRW truck. If you ever get stuck using it for commuter duty, it will get really old-- no drive thrus (ATMs, food, car washes, etc).

You'll always have to park far away, and maneuverability in town is miserable. Heck, I have a SRW QC shorty and it's a pain in town to maneuver at times!

Operating cost per mile of a DRW is significantly higher with reduced fuel consumption and 2 extra tires-- and keep in mind that fuel and tires are the two most expensive things in operating cost!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My next truck (not getting rid of the first gen) will be a 2nd gen 3500 5speed, and my justifications is because I want one. Thats It!