Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Just when you thought it couldn't get more cluttered. GM's new Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deesil
I think it's an interesting concept. However it amazes me the lengths GM will go to in order to keep the V-8. A turbo charged V motor is inherently MUCH more complicated than an inline motor. I like to see companies push the envelope and change paradigms but it seems over engineered to me. Who knows, maybe something really good will come from it that's good for all diesels. I'll take my simple I-6 any day of the week and twice on sunday. I can adjust my valve lash in less than an hour from start to finish .

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I just think it's always a mistake to make ANY internal combustion engine more difficult to work on. It's a machine, a very complicated machine at that. Things will go wrong on any motor. I still think the I-6 will be the best overall diesel engine for years to come, not forever, but for awhile. Less moving parts = lower parasitic loss in friction. Seven main bearings on the bottom end, one exhaust manifold, simple turbo piping, simple intake, injectors accessible etc....I LUV my Cummins!
I agree with the rock solid reliability inherent in our inline 6 Cummins. I think it's easier to get the displacement they want in a V8 configuration being that a V type engine is going to be shorter in length that a similar cubic inch inline engine. I could be wrong, but I think that's the issue there. Hey, I can't wait to see the new Cummins V6's and V8's.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think it's a much better setup than the traditional V-8 turbodiesel layout. It gets the turbo as close to the exhaust valves as possible for minimum energy loss.

I'd be interested to see the intake port layout.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trik396
I agree with the rock solid reliability inherent in our inline 6 Cummins. I think it's easier to get the displacement they want in a V8 configuration being that a V type engine is going to be shorter in length that a similar cubic inch inline engine. I could be wrong, but I think that's the issue there. Hey, I can't wait to see the new Cummins V6's and V8's.
Absolutely. No question the biggest downfall of a I-6 is the length. No one in their right mind would dispute that. I love seeing those old Straight 8 motors from years gone by....you look under the hood and the dang engine seems to go forever!

However, I really think that it is less of a function of length and more of a function of the V-8 stigma. GM loves that dang V-8. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of V-8 engines (as long as they are gas, not diesel). I swear, if a GM engineer was told to design a toaster oven, he'd model after the venerable small block V-8. Not their fault tho it all about advertising. Americans love our V-8's. You don't have to look past Dodge to see that! Look at all that "HEMI" advertising. I've never met a Dodge salesman that even had a clue what a "HEMI" is. It's just advertising, and it works. It's hilarious to talk to a guy with a hemi dodge and ask him what the difference between a hemi and a standard wedge. They (99%) look at you like you just asked them to explain quantum physics in 10 words or less
Old 01-11-2008, 05:09 PM

center exh is not new. look at the cat C175 gen set.

windy
Old 01-11-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't mind having one if it gets 30mpg and doesn't come with the crappy 4L60E.

MikeyB
Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

am I lookin at that right ? looks like the top side is pressurized, as in whole upper valve train? how does oil fight its way in there against boosted air? or is this going to be a low boost motor from them ?
Old 01-11-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, why keep working with an inefficient design. The I6 is a much more efficient, simpler, maintenance-free design than the V8 will ever be!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Deesil
However, I really think that it is less of a function of length and more of a function of the V-8 stigma.
I think you might be on to something here. I bet most people automatically think a V-8 has more power than a 6-cylinder, so it might give them an edge with the average consumer.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:36 PM

when is Ford & Chevy ever going to give up on the V8 and completely sub out their diesel engines to a established diesel manufacturer? No diesels in Agricultural, construction, or commercial trucking are V8's.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 PM

Hate to break it to you guys , but most of Cummins High Horse Power engine are in V configurations. they only have one Inline 6 High Horse Power engine, and it is the smallest one they make in 19 Liter, everything on up is in V configurations. Cummins has been doing the exhaust manifold in the center for years also. there is only one rule for horse power=cubic inches.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:11 PM

What are the normal applications for large V8 Cummins engines?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedyexc
What are the normal applications for large V8 Cummins engines?
V8,V10,V12,V16 I have seen some smaller V8 and V12 Cats on a semi flatbed before. Those things where HUGE. I have no idea what there intended use was but I would imagine most are for gensets and pumping stations and such.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 PM

Well in just about anything you can think of , yesterday we shipped off two QSK50 to a ferry boat operater. the V-16 weigh in at 16000 pounds, no just any forklift can move that around. you will find them in mining equipments , generators. grinding machines.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FlaCracker
I agree, why keep working with an inefficient design. The I6 is a much more efficient, simpler, maintenance-free design than the V8 will ever be!
How come you are so hung up on this. Yes the cummins is an excellent engine, but that doesnt mean that if a certain engine doesnt displace 5.9 liters, inline configuration, and have a C on the valve cover, it can instantly be dismissed as bad. Whenever discussion of the new 68rfe, 6L80, Aisin, etc comes up I dont immediately roll my eyes, scoff at it, and start throwing up the allison flag. BOth the new smaller cummins and smaller duramax engines are not even out yet, so how can anyone form any oppinion or draw any conclusions about these/???????

Come on be open minded! I bet you cant even elaborate on the physics and mechanical-engineering background of why an inline engine is different in forces, moments, and stuff.

We have to be realistic; a V8 is a much more realistic design for this. Revs faster and higher, more compact for the amount of displacment, NVH levels are low, etc...when was the last time an inline engine was used in a truck of SUV? (old land cruiser and old fords come to mind, everything else has had V6's/V8's forever)

and, if nothing else, a very important and prominent reason is length in that an inline engine would require extensive crash structure redesigns, and would hurt crash tests. Nobody thinks of these less obvious issues that engineers have to deal with...

I suppose a 4BT would be a much better engine for use in these new SUV's.

now that being said, I dont really care for the design; its going to need a large cooling system to shed all of that heat dumped into the valley of the engine. We dont need another LLY disaster in that (overheating) area. 72* V8 might have balancing problems, hopefully they have that taken care of. And finally, it needs that stupid urea injection to meet 2010 emmissions. The 6.7 can meet 2010 emmissions without urea, so I dont know why other mfg's cant figure it out...

ben
Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 PM

Autobobiles need to remain light. When you go to a V8 design they need to build them heavier to be long lasting and reliable. Weight is not an issue for gensets, pumps, and other nonmobile engines. and they also use them in military tanks because they're compact, but the military does'nt care if they last long. If an I-6 fits in a dodge it would fit in a ford or chevy, And they are the prodominant engine in mobile equipment.

Quick Reply: Just when you thought it couldn't get more cluttered. GM's new Duramax