General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

It just kills me

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It just kills me

It kills me when people run their mouth about mechanics/diesels/whatever and dont have a clue about what they're talking about. I can understand someone explaining what they think or whatever; and i am by NO means saying i know everything about trucks/diesels/whatever, but i will tell you when i dont know something, or at least not try to act like I know it. Like a boy at school today. You can see my drag strip times in my signature. I like the kid ok, and everything, but he has a stock 89 350 v-8 2wd chevy 1500. Its supposedly bone stock, and he asked me what i ran at the drag strip Friday night when i went to the 1/4. I told him a 16.2 was my best at about 80mph, and he made kind of a face and was like come on man! Thats slow. He said "my truck will run a 12 in the 1/4". I said your smoking something, and he was like yeah it will. I said you would have to be going like 110mph to turn a 12 in the 1/4 and he said he was. They all just race where someone has SUPPOSEDLY marked off 1/4 mile, and i told him its wrong if hes going 110mph at the end. My buddy has a 4wd 89 chevy automatic with a stock brand new V-8 350, and brand new transmission and its a dog. Im about to ask this boy if he wants to race some night just so i can prove him wrong. Then a boy we know that was listening said well; John(boy with the 1500 chevy) will have an advantage over you in weight since his truck only weighs a half ton and yours weighs 3/4's of a ton. I never even bothered telling him my truck weighed 6500lbs; and that they day that is 3/4's of a ton will be the day pigs fly, and that the 1500 also weighs probaby 4k lbs or more. I had some kid ask me one day if i had a "smoke kit" on my truck. I told him waht i had and he just gave me a blank stare. I said its basically the same thing as a chip, and he said well you ought to get a smoke kit Sorry guys. I just had to vent. All these people who dont have a clue about what they are talking about is killing me. Does this crap happen to you guys?

Eric
Old 05-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the uneducated need some schooling......how about you give 'em a lesson, teach? There is nothing like a good practical lesson to prove your point.....not much point in engaging in conversation with someone who isn't on this planet - time to bring them down to earth, bro!!
Old 05-16-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMG..

Yeah unfortunately all too often.. AS goes the idea and notion that there are ppl at the school that cannot even change a tire.. Sad aint it? OH well, let them dream..

Tx
Old 05-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Banned

HEY!!

I got one of them smoke kits for sale. I'd let you have for $20, I don't need it
any more since I got a diesel motor
Old 05-16-2005, 08:01 PM
JKM

I showed some dyno videos , some burn out vids , and some 1/4 mile drags to some fellas at school one day , and i almost had to laugh at them , one guy goes , wow , they must all have bully dog chips... I just told him no , none of them have chips , every one i showed them was undervalved. So then they all decided they they must be running propane and banks turbos, I couldn't beleive how foolish they all were.

heck , one guy still things that the new cummins have spark plugs in em, he can't seem to understand when i tell him if it had spark plugs , it couldn't be diesel as it would not be compression ignition, but he can't get that wrapped around his head , what can i say, he drives a PSD.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:15 PM

i think im the smartest kid with trucks at my school. i get money off stupid people betting me that the specs of a truck are this and that, and then i win the bet. Its kinda fun to mess with them

The latest is that there is no way a 7000lbs truck with a box will come close to beating a chevy ss, even though i have numerous times
Old 05-16-2005, 08:42 PM

HA HA , Im one of the few kids at my school who happens to drive a diesel. I definitely dont have on cause my daddy gave it to me like the other kids. But anywho, I talk to morons like CUMMINSDRIVER632 described on a daily basis. You gotta love the meatballs who dont know a thing about what they are talking about.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:58 PM

Things i hate to hear people ask/tell me about my truck:
-#1!!!! You need a propane kit on it!
-Do you have a chip?
-Is a V-8?
-There is no way that you make that much power!
-Why are you messin with a diesel? They're slow......
-Why do you put diesel fuel in your truck?

Yep, uh huh, okay, sure, maybe, um hmm, yea, i guess, right, yep, something like that, ummm, not sure, what ever you say bud, will see
Old 05-16-2005, 09:15 PM

Old 05-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Banned

Auto parts guys are just as bad some times...

I was driving along and I see an "Autometer Distributer" sign right off the road, so I pull over just to check it out and see if they goy anything I can buy...

I get in there and ask for a tachometer... Yeah, "ignorant" describes the ensuing conversation really well.

"Yeah, any tach will work. Just hook it up to you coil. What do you mean you don't have a coil? Distributer? Oh, it's a Diesel. Just hook it up to the glowplugs. Yes sir, you just hook the tach up to the glowplugs. I've seen it before. What do you mean all Diesel's don't have glowplugs? How can they ignite fuel without glowplugs? Where are you going?"

And some people are just brain dead that think they know stuff.
I was a freshman at an Ag Mechanics class in high school ago with a bunch of seniors... What a bunch of morons...
Among what I remember, I had to spend a week convincing them that Pontiac was owned by GM, spend at least as long explaining that his 4.0 liter wasn't as big as a 350, and never managed to convince them that mufflers aren't necessary for the operation of an engine...
There are just some total morons out there...
Old 05-16-2005, 09:59 PM

Yeah. I forgot earlier, but i was talking to some boy at school one day who has a v-6 firebird, and his dad has a cummins. I said i would beat him racing(and i would) and he said yeah, but you've got a big V-8. I said V-8? I said it aint no V-8. He said its probably a V-10 aint it? I said no. Its an inline 6 cylinder. He said no it isnt. Your lying. I said whatever. I guess he finally believed me. Im glad schools out in 4 days

Eric
Old 05-17-2005, 04:03 AM

well not sure but it sounds like you guys are in highschool. Im 24 now and i still see it from time to time. Back then i was into jeeps (still am, still do, still have one) anyhow id always get questions about my cherokee. people would ask if it had a body lift ( even a slaesman at the dealer) and i would have to explain that it had no frame etc. one kid asked me what kinda suspension I had up front to get so much flex and i just said coils. He was like oh a spring over... Well yeah cause you cant have a spring under coil... leaf springs yes but coils no.
And you guys can relate but its hard to beat into someones head inline 6. not not v6. not a v8, but what are you gonna do when half the adds for used vehicles and even parts store refernces call them a v6?
Basically i would try to educate as much as possible but some as you see refuse to accept. those you just walk away from or school the hard way if you have the chance. i always try to think well everyone has the area of expertise so i shouldnt act with a superiority complex but somtimes they make it so easy!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:53 AM

they refuse to accept it in my town until they see the 249 ft burn- outs my little 1/2 ton 6 banger can do in high gear. yeh i know when one is spinning wheels he/she aint going anywhere. but the kids in this town do not know any better. yes it is 2 wheel burn-outs.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:09 PM

Cumminsdriver635,

I understand your frustration even driving my bone stock 05!

When I hear a lot of talk ,I just let them get door to door, give a little wave out of my sunroof, and watch their eyes when I mash the go pedal and show them my tail lights .

Actions always speak much louder than words!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Eric,

You would be surprised at the uneducated people in this world about diesels. What bothers me even more is when a guy buys a diesel, and you being nice try to say hey you better get a fuel pressure gauge to monitor your transfer pump pressure. They are like, nope its ok wont go bad. SURE!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: It just kills me