Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

How long till the Duramax catches the Cummins (1/4mi)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now here is a Cummins that will be hard to catch. http://www.cumminsracing.com/
Old 05-07-2004, 08:53 AM

You guys crack me up.....if you are going to start showing dragsters then the might Cummins can't even keep up with a crappy little V8 gasser.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by GO 4LO
Three questions I can think of, if you by chance know the answers?
1. What is the max boost that has been run on:
a. any Duramax
b. a Duramax with stock turbo
2. Has anyone run twins besides ATS?
3. What's the highest dyno on any Duramax? I've heard low-800's?
Thanks.
Chris
1. 55-60 psi (clint's twins)
2. above 35-40psi (stock turbo)
3. mid 700's
Old 05-07-2004, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by BigBlackDodge
Ask Gale Banks if the Duramax will ever catch the Cummins.
I think not.
Banks is working on a AWD Duramax race truck
Old 05-07-2004, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by kingofdodge7131
what year did the dM come out?
2001, I believe.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by mtomac
3. mid 700's
Thanks for the info, mtomac.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by mtomac
3. mid 700's
I am going to have to modify those #'s a little.

1.) 69 psi, have no idea why it did not blow headgaskets?
3.) over 800

A stock turbo should only go about mid 30's on #2 and like Mike said about 40 on the bottle.

I hope Banks put a straight front axle in it.

Why don't people jsut build everyday driver trucks like Mike's? Race trucks are boring, they are supposed to be fast. The 4 dr 4x4's are wicked!
Old 05-07-2004, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the numbers, qzilla. I agree - the trucks like mtomac's, maddog's, and jetpilot's are far more impressive to me. Any street truck, 2 or 4 wd, is great - Jim Fulmer just broke 800 at the wheels, I heard (!!)...
Chris
Old 05-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Banned

Who cares. The Cummins still sounds, looks, and runs better than a D/A.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:16 PM

IMO,
the Duramax has proven to make 750hp and according to Quad over 800. But there have been some rod failures too. If the improved rods come out, well, it is a great platform to make power on. Yeah those Cummins rods are big and strong, but are heavy too. At some point, swinging that mass will become a disadvantage rather than advantage.

Like said above, the CR platform is awesome and the new TST box alone has put 454 HP down on my rollers at level 7 and out of air. That is darn good for one box and otherwise stock (turbo,exhaust,injectors, etc). This tells you what the CR fuel system is capable of. The majority of stacked Dmax's I see are 470 - 490 so the Cummins is not far behind. I got 487 out of a stacked CR Cummins at the TS Event. Not bad numbers!!!

But bottom line in heads up competition, with all else being equal, the person that packs the most HP per pound wins. A Duramax in a S10 at Mtomac's HP level would be fast. Yeah, it would be a race truck but I'd bet the driver would have more fun running 10's than 12's. I'm impressed with the power of the heavy street trucks. They are making BIG numbers to get their times. Why not go on a diet, go faster and put less stress on the equipment? It will result in less carnage and less cash outlay.

I driven the Dakota in the 12.0's, a street 2wd 2500 at 12.5's , my 4x4 into the mid 13's and Jeff's drag truck into the 10's. Ask me which one I'd rather drive. On race day, I don't care if it has a tag, a trailer, or anything. All that matters is that I have a fast, thrilling ride.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:59 PM

The cummins can make around 1000hp though. I just very seriously doubt the D-max will ever be able to hold that kind of power, and run very long. The duramax is a pretty good motor with a lot of potential, and at scheid diesel they were walking all over the strokers at the pulls, and i was impressed, but that inline 6 will always be the one to beat if you ask me. I guess im biased towards the cummins, but i cant help it. I also dont know how driveable the duramax would be with big hp. Some of them i saw at the pulls were jumping, and hopping like crazy. The duramax has that little short stroke compared to a cummins, so they make more hp instead of torque, but they are still a good motor. I just dont like v-8 diesels. They just werent meant to be if you ask me, but i do have a lot of respect for the 7.3 powerstroke, and the duramax now, but that 6.0l has a long ways to go before i have much respect for it. One thing a duramax will NEVER EVER be able to do is outpull a cummins if you ask me. That is where that little short stroke kills them out, and that is where that inline 6 design, and big long stroke comes into play. It just cant be beat for that. I hope i havent offended anyone who has a dmax, because they are good motors, but you have to realize im biased, and i cant help it. All diesels have respect from me just for bieng a diesel, but im just fond of the cummins.

Eric
Old 05-08-2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
. Some of them i saw at the pulls were jumping, and hopping like crazy.
Eric
Wouldn't this probably be due to suspension though? BTW, I was curious about the Duramaxes that pull - did they still run the stock IFS frontend, or did they swap in a solid axle?
Before deciding on what I'm getting this summer as my new truck, the front axle design was a major consideration. If the Duramax had a solid axle up front, and the Cummins had IFS, I honestly don't which I'd choose...
Chris
Old 05-08-2004, 03:20 PM

All of the duramaxes that i saw pull had the IFS im pretty sure. BUT, i dont really think that it was the main reason that they did that. I think there was really only one that did it that was a 6 speed, and the engine was just loping so much that it was hopping from what i could tell. I dont know if it was a stock front end, or modified, but it was still IFS. Im pretty sure it was ONLY the way the engine was loping that was making it do that, because when he lost boost, and started slowing down, it quit hopping. It just looked really undriveable the way it was pulling, but most the others that were automatics didnt do that near as bad.

Eric
Old 05-09-2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by GO 4LO
Before deciding on what I'm getting this summer as my new truck, the front axle design was a major consideration. If the Duramax had a solid axle up front, and the Cummins had IFS, I honestly don't which I'd choose...
Chris
Choose the Cummins with the solid axle. Best of both worlds
Old 05-10-2004, 11:26 AM

cumminsdriver635, thanks for the input. Do you happen to know if it's even legal to do an axle swap in the diesel pulling classes? I hadn't really thought about that before...
DXLPWR, that is what I ended up deciding on! Either an early '98 12V quad or a late '01 24V quad . Can't wait
Chris

Quick Reply: How long till the Duramax catches the Cummins (1/4mi)?