Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

How long till the Duramax catches the Cummins (1/4mi)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long till the Duramax catches the Cummins (1/4mi)?

What do you guys think - will the Duramax eventually catch the Cummins 1/4 mi wise? With so many Duramaxes deep in the 12's and several in the 11's now, most still running a single turbo and supported by only three years of aftermarket technology, I've begun wondering. The engines are lighter, the trucks are lighter, and they can make more power than a Cummins engine on the same amount of boost. But the Cummins, as far as we can tell, holds the upper hand in terms of ultimate boost-capability due to the beefier bottom end.
So what do you think:
1. Will the Duramax ultimately win on the dyno?
2. Will the Duramax ultimately win on the track? (this question requires taking the trannies into account, as well)
Please keep this discussion civil. I'd like technical input regarding the two engines' capabilities, not more brand-bashing.
Chris
Old 05-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Banned

It's starting to look that way. I think the cummins will ultimately OUTLAST the duramax. The next few years are going to be interesting.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:12 PM

If their engines are lighter and trucks are lighter and almost making the same horsepower they should be ahead already theoretically. But you are comparing apples to oranges V-8 vs i-6. Furthermore if they boost the horsepower much more the fuel mileage will suffer as some of the 600 guys are finding out then they might as well use a gas engine and be done with it. JMHO
Old 05-05-2004, 10:12 PM

This is what I think about it...

I think Dodge/Cummins has the ability to be built better every time. Yeah I will admit that Cummins engins are heavy but they won't blow up!!
Old 05-06-2004, 12:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I didn't think the DuraMax would pan out but now feel otherwise.
According to the D-M forum similar to this one http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi there are guys pushing 700 hp on electronics only and several have logged over 300k without major repairs.
I'd still rather have a Cummins!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:18 AM

700 HP w/ a cast iron block and cast aluminum heads....I'd be wary about that. Most OTR trucks have the capability to go up to 700 HP w/ modifications, but they're cast iron blocks. Eventually something's gotta give!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:31 AM

The Duramax makes some **** good power with a stock turbo and stock injectors.

There are a couple companies working on a bigger turbo for the Duramax but nothing is available yet. Bigger injector nozzles are available for the Duramax but there are only a few guys with them
Old 05-06-2004, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the input, mtomac. Glad to see you on this board. I'd followed the other thread at the Diesel Place, and figured I'd post over here and see what the responses were, hopefully without any flaming.
Three questions I can think of, if you by chance know the answers?
1. What is the max boost that has been run on:
a. any Duramax
b. a Duramax with stock turbo
2. Has anyone run twins besides ATS?
3. What's the highest dyno on any Duramax? I've heard low-800's?
Thanks.
Chris
Old 05-06-2004, 11:13 AM

Has anyone seen any new CTD's (04.5) turning in any numbers at the track yet? My point is that the Duramax technology wise I think is ahead of any pre-2003 Cummins motors. The Duramax was already using common rail injection, and there are other improvements as well. So I think that the newer Cummins probably has potential to start getting that kind of power with only electrical mods, and even on stock turbo. I'm certainly no expert, but an engine that comes stock at 325HP and 600ftlb and meets all states emmissions sounds like it would have potential to go somewhere.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Cummins66
. I'm certainly no expert, but an engine that comes stock at 325HP and 600ftlb and meets all states emmissions sounds like it would have potential to go somewhere.
I think the main problem is heat with the 3rd gen motors. The Duramax has aluminum heads which helps some in that department....
Oh, and I think the best time for 3rd gens is mid- to high-12's right now. There's a post on 3rd gen times in the competition forum on TDR, FWIW.
Chris
Old 05-06-2004, 11:43 AM

Edit: Quadzilla ran an 11.9 with their third gen. And they claim to know of a couple faster trucks running B1's....
Chris
Old 05-06-2004, 04:22 PM

I personally could care less if the D-max catches the Cummins. I think they are both great engines, in their own applications. My uncle is on his second, and it has 125,000mi on it since October 15, of 2003, All But about 5000 of that it was hooked to a 32' GN. I've driven that truck a lot and it would outrun my Cummins with the same load, but I'll bet I could catch it on the hills. Not that it's bad on hills, but the Cummins is better.

NOW, if a PowerJoke was to catch either on, I'd be plenty unhappy. They run like an old Detroit. Wind em up they're great, but man do they smoke(stock).

Just my Opinion,
Chris
Old 05-06-2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by GO 4LO
Edit: Quadzilla ran an 11.9 with their third gen. And they claim to know of a couple faster trucks running B1's....
Chris
I know of several much faster Dmax's as well!
Old 05-07-2004, 02:24 AM

what year did the dM come out?

Quick Reply: How long till the Duramax catches the Cummins (1/4mi)?