General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Good Ole run around!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
back in '90 I was at school and needed brakes on my 78 dodge aspen with the slant 6 (I LOVED almost as much as my Cummins!!!). Took it to a "reputable" brake place and they want $1400.00 for brakes. Said there was rust on the rear drums and that's dangerous. I asked what else were the drums supposed to do as our highways are white in the winter with salt.

Took it home, a family friend who had a shop helped do the brakes, $250.00, new pads all the way around & rotors.

People will try to steal you blind...
Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last year my wife's car blew out the rear master cylinder, brake pedal right to the floor kind of leak. Anyhow, I looked over the estimate. The last item was - "adjust the wiper blades".......... She got her car out of there fast.....
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM

My brothers van blew out some tranny fluid this summer while towing his trailer and also just having a stuck front caliper. The van is a '92 and the fluid was never changed. He took it to a local on the way home shop to get them to have a look. They wanted a $1000.00 to remove the tranny to find out the trouble. he said no way the van isn't worth that and picked up some extra fluid to drive it home. The tranny didn't leak a drop on the trip home and after talking to a Ford mechanic he told me that the tranny has a pressure relief and the fluid likely got hot to the point of blowing off. Working great since. Imaging $1000 to find out nothing wrong.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 PM

My GF took her truck to a local shop close to her work to have an inspection done (I didn't have time to take it to my usual guy to have it done) she got home and told me it had cost her 110 dollars for the inspection. They said the belt was bad and charged her 96 dollars for a belt. The belt had not been on there for six months there was nothing wrong with it. I called them and called them everything but a mechanic. The best part was less than a year later they were out and the place was done.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
I had a 1997 Ford F350 dually, bought brand new. The thing kept falling apart, literally. Once, while backing out of one of my best client's driveway, the passenger side I-beam FELL OFF, and the rim/tire tucked up into the wheel well. With only 27k on it, I had it flatbedded to the nearest F-word dealership. The crossbeam under the engine had broken the rivets on one side and allowed I-beam pivot bolt to work loose.

They denied the claim, saying that "fasteners" were excluded from coverage and the rivets were fasteners. I worked the phone for two weeks, working my way up the chain of command, all the while fielding calls from the dealership telling me that if I don't have them fix the vehicle, they need the truck picked up or I'll be charged storage.

I finally got a VP of something-or-other to call the dealer and authorize the repair. The repair consisted of 4 grade-8 bolts pushed through the rivet holes.

In 100K, that steaming pile of Ford also went through 3 transmissions, an exploded P/S pump, a differential, two distributors (wore the housings out inside), an A/C compressor, the ignition tumbler and the steering shaft bearings. It was down for over 100 days in 3 years. The dealership blamed the constant breakdowns on me being too hard on the vehicle, but the most I ever hauled was a 4,000-lb boat, and I used it to deliver small appliances to apartment complexes. That's the last Ford I'll ever buy.

The BEST experience ever from a dealership was on my next truck, a 2000 Isuzu NPR with a Chevy 5.7/480LE driveline. The 1st-2nd shift was giving me fits, so I went to drop it off at the dealer. They took it immediately, dropped the pan, changed the solenoid, and buttoned it up before the paperwork was done. I had to call and cancel my ride to work. Niiiiice.
i had a boss with a 92 k2500 that was the exact same. went tru 3 transmissions, 1 with me driving it, the front and rear diff, power window motors, HVAC controls, and the ever popular 4wd actuator thing. that was the biggest POS, but pretty common for a chevy.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:37 PM

Back when my 95 was my daily dr, my trans went out. I tried to take it to my fav. trans. shop, but they were booked for 2 weeks. I took it to another popular place. BIG MISTAKE.
1st thing, I told him I wanted it built WELL because I was plannin on runnin at least 40" tires and I wanted a shift kit put in it. He said "no prob" I get it back and the paperwork said "rebuilt to stock specs."
That trans lasted 1500 miles. Had them pick it up. They reluctantly fixed it under warranty. 2300 miles later the torque converter screwed up and took out the trans again. This time they tried to fight me. He said my tires were throwing off the speedo which was causing this. I tried to explain to him that with the larger tires and the 4.56 gears my speedo is within 3 mph. of correct. Next...I said. "BTW, I told you I wanted a shift kit put in and you never did." He says" Well...you have the electronic trans and they don't make a shift kit for it."
So I say to him "Um, no the 95 is the rh not the re, h being HYDRAULIC. Furthermore I can personally get the phone numbers of at least 20 ppl running a transgo shift kit with no problems !! And btw...have you been reverse flushing the radiator and trans cooler????" He just got a blank look and fixed it under warranty. It went out 6000 miles later again and they covered it for free. (of course each time they did the warranty work it took longer. The last time being 3 1/2 weeks)
Old 12-05-2008, 11:30 AM

went to a local dodge dealership aorund the corner from my house. figured it looked like a good place since they sold alot of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

so i asked if a couple of parts where covered under my warranty. service writer said in order to check we have to bring the car in and charge an inspection fee. 110 for the front end alignment check and another 69 for a general inspection.

so i said ya but i know what the problem is and it takes 30 seconds to check on your computer with the vin number to see if the parts are covered.

"ya well you k now we have to double check and cross reference part numbers to make sure and it takes along time"

bull. i worked at a chrysler dealer and am now a gm mechanic. all you do is type in a parts discription and bam it tells you yes or no.

so after fighting for 10 min and he bassically said you don't know what you are talking about cause you aren't a mechanic. so i put on my gm jacket and snap on hat and said "im sorry im not what?"

his face turned red and walked away.

another shop quoted me for 1000 dollar repair on calipers and front brakes when i just installed new brakes the day before and where trying to deny my warranty because i towed to much. meanwhile i bought the truck from the same dealer 3 weeks earlier.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by dj_souvlaki

another shop quoted me for 1000 dollar repair on calipers and front brakes when i just installed new brakes the day before and where trying to deny my warranty because i towed to much. meanwhile i bought the truck from the same dealer 3 weeks earlier.
This is the reason my granfather always told the mechanics that he wanted the old parts.