General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Good Deal on 96 12v?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Deal on 96 12v?

I am currently looking for a new truck and I stumbled onto this one. I know that the interior and some of the paint is bad but that is a thing I can fix. My question is am i getting a good deal on the truck? I just want to make sure the Trans and drivetrain are in good working order. I would love to look the truck over myself but I am a few hundred miles away. If anyone is in the Dallas area and would be abliged to look at it for me it would be greatly apriciate it. here is a link to the truck. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-21-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff:

I just called the place and they are taking the truck in to "paint the hood". They are supposed to call me back as to when I can look at it for you.

A lifted truck with 168K on it, auto trans, and gooseneck hook up needs to be looked at real close.

What is the blue book value?

John (DH)
Old 11-21-2005, 03:56 PM

I think the rating chart toward the need of the ad should tell you about all you need to know. Unless it's a situation I am not aware of, a modified truck - especially lifted, with worn out mudders, three rims and an odd forth one, and that "goofy" light bar in the bed add up to two things: Hard use and lower resale value. The worn out paint on the door edges - the faily messed up interior, there is a lot on this rig that would make it about a $5000 truck or less in my eyes. I would personally keep looking.....you might spend more than it's worth bringing it back to good condition. CARFAX anything you consider seriously - I like how they say "the owner said the mileage was accurate..." well, they can SAY anything...

Good luck, keep on hunting for that right one.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

Thank you guys soo much. I thank you if you do go look at it. I read all the report of the dealer and they were all positive. I just want to make sure the Trans is good and all the drivetrain is in good condition. i would have to say the light bar would have to go. If y'all do look at it just PM me what you think. Remember I would have to drive this truck a couple hundred miles and as a daily driver.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:21 PM

those tires sure dont look like 245/75-16's to me
but hell yeah, i say go fer it
Old 11-21-2005, 05:23 PM

I wouldn't trust buying a truck off of e-bay. You really need to go and look at it yourself to make sure its what you want. Also, I would not trust a fullsize rig that has been lifted and modified to be used as a daily driver. Too many buy full size trucks, go out mudding with them and don't change their fluids when they come home. I think that you would be better off just laying low and cruising through the local autotrader until you see one that you like close enough to you so that you can drive it, crawl all under it, and make sure that it is exactly what you want.

On another note, my brother bought an fj-40 off of ebay. The pictures of the truck where from when it had been stored (5 years earlier). When we got out to look at it we noticed that the old crazy woman that owned the storage lot had back it into a few things and had never told the owner, rats had been living in the engine compartment, we barely made it home on the tow dolley (3 tires swelled to some unusual shapes, the last two didn't swell till we were home) just to name some of the items that we had to deal with (he didn't complain about these problems as it was the right year that he wanted and rust free, so in his mind it was still worth the price).
Old 11-21-2005, 08:23 PM

These guys add should say .. "Buyer beware!". I went to get a truck from them earlier in the year. The truck looked good in pictures so I called to talk to someone. Talked to two different guys at different times .. . . "truck was great, no problems, ready for a 400 mile trip, had been thoroughly checked out by a mechanic"

Got there, truck with tires at "50% tread" were so bald I would have had to buy a full set to even drive. Engine had a leaking head gasket. Steering was horrible. The pitman arm was loose and the slip joint on the steering shaft was shot. Wheel would turn over a 1/3 way around with no result. Wasn't safe to drive over about 30mph, but according to them truck was GREAT. The list of course goes on and on of things wrong that were very noticeable.

These guys buy from a huge auction. They take the vehicle to their lot, detail out, and put it on ebay. Thats all they do. If it doesn't sell, they take back to auction. They make ABSOLUTELY NO EFFORT TO ACCURATELY describe condition. In fact, just the opposite!

My advice, don't buy anything unless you have thoroughly looked over the truck in person.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Banned

Thanks guys. It is Kind of hard tofind a good Diesel up here so Whenever I see one I go a little bit crazy. I am going to get a carfx report and see what shows there. If I do buy it I will not give them a dime until I go down and give it a once over and test drive it myself. Now I just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:03 PM

Bosshawg,

Nice tag line, first of all. I would look through autotrader.com at truck near the Indiana/Illinois border, and also up into Wisconsin. Check the following link for nealry all of them within 300 miles of Chicago: (Hope this is not a voilation...)
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...or=&x=113&y=10
Old 11-26-2005, 11:29 AM

Im a little late on this post

BUT here is the truth on cummins rams in Texas, or any truck with a gooseneck hitch in Texas, Most of these trucks get worked hard and put away wet. Im lucky mine has had susbstancial light duty (about 90 pecent of its life) and 10 percent towing, (well since i got it at leastv) the mileage is good, but its lifted, and its an auto, unless u trust the source, id stay away from it....... I got extremely lucky with mine, lifted, manual, 120K when i got it, and my uncle knew the source personally...... just wish everyone could have my situation...

Tx
Old 11-26-2005, 12:41 PM

All things concidered, I would look more at this one: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...&cat=19&page=1
It is listed in the classified here.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:18 PM

buying off ebay

I got my truck off ebay. Ebay is fine you just have to know what to ask and you need to feel out the ebayer. If they don't give a streight awnser don't look at them anymore.

(Ad removed site violation)
Old 12-01-2005, 03:52 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

I bought my truck off Ebay from a Tx dealer... he was pretty up front that it had been a hunting truck and had been off road quite a bit, was straight about what did and didnt need done to it.
I still had someone go look at the truck for me though.
I've been real happy with the whole deal and with my truck....
Old 12-01-2005, 02:34 PM

Mine might be for sale!!! I will know for sure by next week!
Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Banned

Hey Doodah I would love to buy your truck. Just PM me with all the info and how much you want!