General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Gen 2 vs Gen 3-Pro's and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afoulk
The front ends on them are so much better than the 2nd gens.
I wouldn't go that far. They're having just as many front end issues as we do. I've even read some posts from guys saying they've thought about coming back to a 2nd gen front end for the reliability.

Go figure.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:40 PM

Dodge needs to get a kingpin style frontend to deal with the weight and stresses associated with having a Cummins in it. It's fine for a gas truck, but not one with a real motor in it.

I've contemplated getting a 3rd Gen, simply for the CR motor and electronic adjustability. Large brakes, strong manual tranny, more room all help out. I'm 6'10" tall, and can tell you a 3rd Gen definately is roomier.

I personally would skip the 24V 2nd Gens, my opinion though. As already stated, the VP44 has it's reliability issues. They can last, but it's too hit and miss.

I have 2 12V 2nd Gens, and personally love and hate them. I was lucky in that I found 2 trucks that had tons of money spent on the front ends/steering, these trucks track straight and no play. I can't stand my 95, and am selling. I've never been impressed by, or really liked, an automatic tranny, and this truck exemplified that feeling. The throw on the 5 speed is longer than every semi I've ever driven, and the shifter is pretty vague. Both trucks are up there in miles, have squeaks/rattles and so on that are annoying. They aren't as comfortable. The power is very nice, was super cheap to build. The trucks are very depenable, as long as they've got fuel, I'm good to go.

Personally, I wish my 97 had a 6 speed, better brakes all around, rear doors on the extended cab, and a set of twins for all around power. It's definately doable, and it may very well happen if I can get the money and time together.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 PM

Sounds like you need a 3rd gen with a p pumped 24 valve.

Ive owned 1 24 valve and two 12 valves and my father owns an 05 3500 with an nv5600 the 24 valves do sound nice but i like the 12 valve more a not as loud but not too quite the p7100 = very nice (in a Borat voice) Makes a lot of power with ease. i like the extra doors on the 3rd gens but im not a big fan of the interior. Also the steering well just feels small. The CR is quite but you can make them loud I have heard a lot about injector issues but my dads just keeps chugging he's coming up on the 3 year mark this month and about to hit 130k with no problems except a u joint ( im sure it has something to do with pulling over 20k on a monthly basis) and a power drivers seat problem. I guess if i had to choose i would find a low mileage 98 12 valve. But good luck with that it took me 3 months and i had to drive 6 hours to meet the guy half way.

Chris
Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 PM

Heve the Gen 3 had problems with their LP's.? Do they take out the IP?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:06 PM

Just my observances:
Gen 2 has much more comfortable seats (quad cab on both), for some reason the Gen 3 seats just don't seem to have much (if any) padding.

Our gen 3 has the common a/c control problems (you never know which duct the air is going to come out of, but you can bet it's not the one you want).

For some reason, the '99 pulls stronger stock than the '03. (maybe we just got a junk Gen 3???)

I have had numerous VP-44 problems with the '99, but that is about to be addressed in the form of a P7100 retro-fit.

Transfer case in Gen 3 has messed up twice now (bad grinding and jumping out of gear in 4 wheel drive)

Lack of good mud tires for 17 inch dually wheels limits Gen 3's off road ability.(we USE our trucks off road, not just for play)

I don't care for the way it takes the common rail motor forever it seems to idle down when you shift (I don't use the clutch to shift)

I havn't noticed the Gen 3 to have any better front end, it still has the junk wheel bearings.

In all honesty, I really liked the '03 when we first got it, but after all the troubles with it, all the weird noises it makes at times that nobody can figure out, and being broke down on the side of the road more than a few times with it, I'm not impressed. As a matter of fact, when we get the transfer case fixed again, it's for sale. It just doesn't seem to hold up like my Gen 2 trucks.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:22 PM
8bm

I loved the look and sound of my 2001- 2500 4x4 h.o. 6 speed. Traded it in on a 2007-3500 4x4 48re, it's a great truck too but lacks the character of that 2nd gen.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:02 PM

my dad wants to trade trucks with me (he has an 06) with essentially the same exact options as i have. i personally dont like the 3rd gens. id drive one if i was given one, but as far as putting my money down...2nd gen all the way. and you cant even compare the 2 sound wise.

there are a few things in the looks dept that i like better on the 3rd gens (clear head/tail lights, white gauges) but thats about it.