General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

To all those with 2nd and 3rd Gen Auto Rams...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all those with 2nd and 3rd Gen Auto Rams...

1. What is the most you've ever towed with them ? Please specify if you're stock or modded (unless it's already in your signature).

2. How do they handle the very large loads ? Do you typically wish you had the greater control a manual gives ?

3. Are the failures of the automatic made out to be more prevalent than they really are ? From reading most of these sites you might be led to believe the autos blow after using them a few times. Obviously, that's not true, but what are your thoughts on the issue ?

I'm trying to consider whether I should get auto or manual. I'll probably rarely be towing. But, if I get something used, I don't want to have to rebuild a tranny 20,000 miles in. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:48 PM

I tow a 38.5 foot Fifth wheel that weighs in at 14,000 lbs.

Tows like a dream! I still would like to have a manual, but am very satisfied with the auto. I think you get better fuel economy out of a manual.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:22 PM

No problems ever with my 48RE. Lots of towing but not real heavy. The real test for a transmission is going up really steep mountains with a 9-10% grade that go on forever. Then, you gotta come down these same grades. It would be great to have an exhaust brake, for the downside, but they don't work on these transmissions. My wife also drives the truck and she would not if it had a manual transmission.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM

Anyone else who tows heavy have any thoughts ?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I towed a 29' TT plus a loaded bed to New Orleans a couple years ago. Weighed 17,900 lbs GCW on a state scale just before we left Eastern, OR. I know that isn't anywhere near what some guys haul but I was surprised at how well the tranny operated with everything completely stock. With the upgraded valve body and lockup switch it is even better. You can use an exhaust brake on the auto's if you install a lockup switch. Even without the exhaust brake you get a little help slowing down with the switch.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:13 PM

I've towed around 5 -7 at the most with my 06 and the stock trans works better under load then it does empty. Now I'm not saying its a problem empty, it's just very comfortable being worked. For a stock trans, I think its a nice piece of hardware. At times I wish I had gotten a manual but not because I don't like the transmission, I just think I would like the feel of the manual. As far as the common story of transmissions blowing up I think that comes from people adding power and then romping on it without adequate upgrades to the trans. As far as a stock trans goes, I think it works great.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 PM

I regularly tow a 5,400LB dual axle tank trailer. Less often a single axle utility that I built heavy. A couple times a 28' 5th. And once a 24' office trailer that with the highest adjustable hitch we could get was still noticeably nose down.

Even the office trailer pulled good for about 28 miles and when I got on the highway I made a bit of smoke and was gone.

The 48RE to my way of thinking blows the E4OD in Fords AWAY!

Now it will probably fall out Monday.....

EDIT: I drive my truck like I'm going to keep it to 500K. I lift somewhat when I know it's going into OD. And I live on pretty flat land overall.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 PM

Towed 10K with my 94 reg cab LB (BONE STOCK). The power was there but the trans just didn't know what to do with it on hills. Wish I had a manual but I am more used to towing with a manual trans...
Old 02-29-2008, 10:40 PM

My first truck was a F350 SRW Crew Cab auto. We traveled for 4 1/2 years pulling a 33' Avion (one of the old Avion's.) We never had problem from pulling the trailer. The longest we stayed in one place was 5 months. We traveled in this time to Texas, 3 different places in Tenn., N. Carolina, Maryland, Georgia, Nevada and Leadville, Colorado (highest city in USA.) I'm sure my husband would have preferred a manual but I was the one pulling the trailer and I can't drive a manual so we had an auto, by the way the next 3 trucks were all autos and now I have a Mega Cab auto 1 ton SRW and am fixin' to start pulling a Cyclone Toyhauler. Hope this helps some. Take care and by the way all were stock trucks.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:42 PM

I don't think you will find a ton of trannies that have failed with a stock truck... Dodge trannies typically fail because the engines are bombed...

Mine is a 04 (with a 100hp pressure box installed after it had 700 miles on the OD)... I tow my jeeps, boats, camper, other peoples junk around all the time... I don't turn off the box and I drive it like I stold it, sometimes breaking tires loose taking off when loaded... well after 78,000 miles, install of a lockup switch, and only one tranny flush... it is still going as strong as the day I bought it new and the fluid has never smelt/looked burnt...

Manuals are nice, but I don't (or would ever want one)... My buddy has one (03 6-speed), I drove it around town for a day and IMO it 5ucked... I was so tired of shifting gears every 20 feet (on such a light truck), and the funny thing is, that I drive a BIG truck in the city for a living; but driving that manual dodge started to get to me...
Old 02-29-2008, 11:50 PM

Here's a pic of what I've towed plenty of, hopefully no more of them! I've destroyed my original 6 speed at 129k miles, Haven't had to good of luck with rebuilds after that, seems no one know what they are doing with them! Have a exhaust brake and at 197k miles I still have my original brake pads at all 4 corners! And yes the rig is "bombed"!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 PM

Talking Try this again!!

Attached Thumbnails To all those with 2nd and 3rd Gen Auto Rams...-img_0203.jpg   To all those with 2nd and 3rd Gen Auto Rams...-img_0160.jpg  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had excellent service out of my stock 48RE, even on my somewhat "bombed" truck. I service it, fluid and filter, every 20k miles and I have a mag-hytec Double deep pan. In fact, I can't believe it has held up to my level of power and towing for 86,000 trouble free miles. I am about to get mine upgraded with performance parts and billet shafts....but even stock....I leave my Smarty on level 9 all the time, including towing.

I usually gross around 20k lbs with my toyhauler loaded up......and I pulled a John Deere Tractor several hundred miles grossed at 26 K once. Smarty on level 9.

Last weekend I dyno'd 518 hp......and then sled pulled for the first time ever. Stock auto. No signs of slippage so far. I don't like the sloppy torque converters in the stock transmissions....but the 48RE is a tough transmission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pYXgEvgT5s

Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 AM

When i bought my truck it had 163k miles on it with a stock transmission, and already had a fuel plate. It dyno'd 246hp/635ft lbs of torque which is about 100hp over stock, and 235ft lbs over stock. I could slip the TC in overdrive, and the stock 2nd gen torque converters dont put the power down good at all, but the transmission handled everything i threw at it. I put a transgo shift kit in it and it really helped the Torque Converter hold,and I have some mods to it now that have really made me happy with it.

I feel like this thread will end up with most the 3rd gen owners happy with their 48re. They put the power down much better than the 2nd gen 47rh/re's do. But I think both transmissions are plenty reliable with a stock truck, even if they arent the most efficient.

I have put 60k on my transmission and i have upgraded it along the way, but it has been great so far. I would reccomend a transgo shift kit in a 2nd gen truck if you get one, as it will help the converter hold a lot, and increase the life of the transmission.

Eric

Old 03-01-2008, 07:25 AM

I have no problems towing my skidsteer with trailer 10K lbs or my dump trailer with total loads of 10-13K lbs. I don't horse it, I drive it like I own it and I go where I want to. My truck is stock except for the K&N air filter

Quick Reply: To all those with 2nd and 3rd Gen Auto Rams...