Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Gen 2 vs Gen 3-Pro's and Cons (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/gen-2-vs-gen-3-pros-cons-192301/)

supr 02-15-2008 04:00 PM

Gen 2 vs Gen 3-Pro's and Cons

What advantages and disadvantages do you see between the 2 generations?

Box5 02-15-2008 05:56 PM

second gen has better looks IMO, more of a rough truck feel and loud. 3rd gens are alot more comfortable, quiete, and smooth.

Raspy 02-15-2008 09:53 PM

3rd gens have much better looks IMO. They also have more power, no KDP problems, disc rear brakes, 48RE tranny or six speed manual, etc.

2nd gen twelve valves (94-early 98) may be the most reliable and best of all if you want simplicity and reliability without resorting to a 3rd gen.

My 3rd gen has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. After 125,000 miles it has only needed a lift pump and front brake pads. As someone else pointed out it's a "7000 lb sports car with a view" and I'll probably keep it frorever. The Smarty has made it even more fun with simple programming. I tow with it, haul with it and use it just for fun.

John

n2moto 02-16-2008 07:54 AM

I'd get writers cramp comparing the differences between the two both have their good and bad points.

I really like my 97.

funcruise 02-16-2008 07:24 PM

I wouldent trade my old 94 for any of them....

hipsi 02-18-2008 03:17 PM

only 2nd gen 12v have the KDP issue

displacedtexan 02-18-2008 03:24 PM

It can be an issue with the 24v as well.

cincydiesel 02-18-2008 03:58 PM

I'll take either one if someone give it to me. I like my 3rd gen but I feel the older 24 valves would out last it. I also believe the 3rd gen 5.9's will outlast the new 6.7's. But the ol mighty 12 valve beats em all with reliabilty.

xtoyz17 02-18-2008 04:33 PM

I like mine. Love it, actually. I contemplate trading it for a 3rd gen, but something about the engine rattle, serious exhaust rumble and turbo whistle, and body style just won't let me.

Oh, and my payments are a whole hell of a lot less...

patdaly 02-18-2008 04:44 PM

3rd gen, AAM axles and CR fuel system, too early to tell how reliable over time they will be. I sure do see a lot of Injector/blah,blah,blah issues with bad fuel, etc. that costs a ton to repair.

Then again, I just have the old "antique" 12 Valve that swallows just about anything you throw at it.

In the end, parts are going to be more available for the 3rd gen, many of us second gen guys are going to be competing for parts soon enough like the first gen guys are beginning to.

96_12V 02-18-2008 10:35 PM

3rd gen's seem a lot quieter and more comfortable on trips, but some have reported thinner sheet metal that dents more easily, seats that are either too soft or overly firm, but an excellent G56 manual and the excellent Bosch Common-Rail 5.9L engine.

Much as I like the 2nd gen, I drive one after all, I would not for a moment consider a 24 valve unit. Not offense to anyone with one, but it's just lacking in relaibility. The 12 valves are durable, but they really do have weak rear brakes, barely-adequate ball joints, and some rust issues under the doors and rear quarters of the truck.

Overall, I'd look closely at one's budget and drive them each thoroughly before making a decision.

91rangerturbo 02-19-2008 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan (Post 1952915)
It can be an issue with the 24v as well.

I hear it's pretty much a one in a million chance.

surfram 02-19-2008 10:20 AM

I went from 1998 club cab to a 2004 quad cab. Drivetrain differences aside, I would never go back to the old style extended-cab after having 4 doors that open the same way.

Sunir 02-19-2008 01:08 PM

Here's my take...

2nd gen's are very nice looking...shape and body are classic truck...3rd gen's look good but have too large frontal area

12V 2nd gen is a great engine no doubt...but the rest of the truck will be falling apart (I looked for a while on these when I was thinking of going to a 12V)...money spent on chassis, body, etc...and you'll have a great rig at the end of it all...sure the engine is top notch but the little gremlins and issues are deterents...most riliable engine with a proven injection system sure, most reliable truck..not the case that would depend on the rest of the vehicle.

24V 2nd gen sound the best, hands down...they sound like a truck should! The 12V have a mellow rattle-like purr but it's not as prominant as a 24V...now true the VP44 is an issue but I've seen from posts several data points of these trucks going 200K, 300K even more on the original VP... that's impressive, but I still don't like the VP, just knowing that it could go south even with a FASS...but it's not like it happens everyday. Furthermore you could P-pump a 24V and have the best of both 12 and 24 versions. I do like the electonic tuning of the 24V (smarty etc...) versus a 12V's what you build is what you live with each day no matter what...for 2nd Gen, the 24 V interior is more refined and you can find a clean low mile example of you look hard enough...I bought my truck w/ 26K miles on it, it was in pristine condition with no rust, dents, or anything, interior, chassis, steering/suspension, 4 disc brakes etc...everything is great shape...the truck was in practically new condition.

3rd gen - Great power ability, lots of R&D into development...very comfortable and most refined for daily driving...TOO quiet though, I don't like the sound at all. They also have their share of reliabilty issues as each of the trucks do. They also tend to get the least mpg compared to the two predecessors.

afoulk 02-19-2008 06:34 PM

I test drove a 3rd gen before I bought my 2nd gen and It did drive and ride a lot nicer, but a 2nd gen was what I could afford at the time. Looking back now, I sank so much money just into the front end of my truck that I wish i woulda gone with a 3rd gen. The front ends on them are so much better than the 2nd gens. Plus I kinda like the looks of them better. Finding one with a 8ft bed and quad cab is kinda tough though, atleast in my area. Most of them seem to have the short bed. I could never get rid of mine now though, not after all the work I've put into it so far.