General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Fuel Additives: Emulsify water or demulsify?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bcfitzsimons
....As for algae vs. asphaltenes, it may very well be asphaltenes-but algae doesn't need sunlight to grow......
Correct! Algea needs Water and Air to grow.
They live in the boundry layer between water on the bottom and fuel on top. Apparently there is enough air there to suppot them. When they die they mix around everywhere.

I DO use an emulsifier. It is an oil based product that breaks down water droplets (acts like a surfactant) and passes the water through the injectors in very tiny amounts). The oil base lubricates the fuel pump and injector pump and the upper cylinders. Not saying this is the only way to go but it is another way to 'skin that cat'. It has worked well for me for yrs.

Obviously, nothing, including water separators, will work for bad fuel with large amounts of water.

The problem with demulsifiers, IMO, is getting the water off the bottom of your tank, after it drops out of the fuel!

RJ
Old 06-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

That ain't algae. 10,000 miles on that filter.

I sometimes use power service (more so in the winter). Haven't had problems with water, nor have I had the WIF light come on. The few times I've opened up the drain I've seen more sediment, more so than water. As far as (de)emulsifying water goes, I'm not too concerned.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of you guys are talking 2 different diesels. The older 12 valves can eat just about anything. That fuel system just don't care. The newer common rails won't tolerate it, and this "I go off the fuel pressure gauge to tell me when to change my filter" just wont cut it in the common rails. As far as the WIF light, what a joke. I have NEVER seen or heard of anyone having there WIF light come on. Never. Feed what you wan't in the VE motors, but careful what you give the common rails. Just my .02