1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Water in Fuel, Dead in the Water

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water in Fuel, Dead in the Water

Last weekend,I hauled a load to my brother. Ran truck to near empty and put 24 gallons in it at local Ideal Mart. Burned half a tank coming back to Lexington where I live. Made a few short trips this week, maybe 30 miles. Have about 3\8 of a tank left. Took off this morning with a load of furniture in the bed. Made it about 150 yards when my truck started sputtering and choking and throwin white smoke like a fall leaf pile. Water in Fuel light kicked on. Made it back to the shop andshut er down. Drained about two gallons of water out of the fuel filter. Finally got straight fuel to come out. Water in fuel light is off now but truck just turns over and never fires. So what should I do now? Crack the injector lines and bleed em? Take it to a professional? Have an axe handle party at the Ideal Mart? Called my brother to get the station's phone number and he informed me that the station has dug up their tanks this week and is apparently replacing them. Thoughts on that? Thanks guys.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:55 PM
alwaysonDTR

i'd bleed the lines
and also see what the station says. hope you got a reciept
Old 09-27-2008, 11:43 PM

Oh yeah, i have my receipt. I called the station and was directed to their supplier/parent company that is closed for the weekend.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
If a legal battle is in the works, leave everything alone for evidence.

Otherwise, if you need the truck, hit it with a mist of ether and it WILL start.

Best to un-hook the HOT wires that power the grid-heaters, the two identical wires/ring-terminals on the HOT cable-end, before using the ether.

Let this be a lesson for all of us; ALWAYS request and hang onto a receipt for any fuel purchases.

With the high cost of fuel and the unsteady supply due to hurricane excuses, a lot of questionable fuel that would otherwise have been re-refined is finding it's way into the market; of course, in this situation, it was most likely a tank leakage problem and, instead of having the offending tank sucked dry and hauled away, they opted to continue selling the fuel until the tank was empty.

Dodger Doob was probably one of the last to get fuel from that tank and he got all of the water.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:41 PM

Well I talked to the parent company and they just couldn't see how I could've gotten water from their fuel, had to come from somewhere else. I also informed them that my truck was locked inside a state facility for the entire week and no one had access to it. They said they'd send me a gift certificate and then referred me to their insurance. Insurance company was very pleasant and wanted to know everything about everything. What do my inseam and eye color have to do with this? Not really, but it wouldn't surprise me if that does come up. Said they had to make some calls and they would get back with me. So now I'm just waiting.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
It is a sad truth that all of the fuel stops have been absorbed into big corporations.

When I was growing up, my father OWNED a full-service filling station and it was the only truck-accessible diesel within three counties.

A few times, fewer than the fingers on my hand, we had customers complain that they had gotten water in their gas; we never had a complaint on diesel.

When they brought forth these complaints, they were talking to the top of the pole and their gripe, legitimate or not, was personally taken care of on the spot.

Alas, those days are long gone.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 AM

one thing I always wondered about is when I used to use the (stick ) to get that very hi tech measurement if you are not careful what actually fall's in ???
considering the work force that now works in most Fuel stations even locally i hate fueling up considering i see the people popping open the fill cap in the rain snow plus these caps are always in the middle of the yard and they always seem to open them when its raining or at least a good inch of mud and dirt around. Sadly its like this in most cases that is why I change fuel filter every 12000 to 15000 k I know that wont help when you do get dosed with water . I feel for ya . i know from personal experience what what a pain it is to get the water out of the motor and the tank