Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

VP44 dead or is my APPS dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP44 dead or is my APPS dead

over the past few days i have been getting the dead pedal and it gets worse everytime i drive the truck. i tried to reset the apps but that didnt help. i can drive the truck down the road and sometime it wont have the dead pedal issue until i get up to speed and then other times its the as soon as i try to take off. i can get the pedal to come back if i hold the clutch in and rev it up. it will rev real slow and then come alive once i hit about 2500 rpm. the last time i did this i heard a popping noise from the exhuast once i got the pedal back. so what do i need a new vp or the apps.

jerad
Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Have you checked codes with an OBDII scanner? That should give you some idea.

Of course, when ever I've heard anyone with the dead petal, its the VP. Should be throwing a code either way though.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Chapter President

How did you reset the APPS. I would recalibrate the APPS, look for the instructions in the "Tech Facts" at the top of the page header. Also, try to pull some codes as Tiger Rag mentioned.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
do the key on/off method
on/off/on/off/on wait and the odometer will cycle through the system. it will display the pcm first then the ecm. the pcm will more than likely show you a 1693 but the important one is the ecm. let us know what it has to say.
good luck and may the force be with you!
but remember; i am not a mechanic, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:20 AM

i checked the codes on the odometer and the only thing it shows it a 1693 and then it says done and doesnt display any ecm codes and i reset the apps by the tech form on here unhooked batterier and rehooked and move pedal sowly down then back up. thanks for the input guys

jerad
Old 03-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Banned

I have a feeling it's your VP. Reason I say this is because you mentioned the exhaust popping.

Also, there's a reset procedure on here and a recalibrate procedure on here for the APPS. Try the recalibrate procedure.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jvenne86
i checked the codes on the odometer and the only thing it shows it a 1693 and then it says done and doesnt display any ecm codes and i reset the apps by the tech form on here unhooked batterier and rehooked and move pedal sowly down then back up. thanks for the input guys

jerad
recheck the codes please. the computer is not as fast as the one in the house. it will the say pcm then done, then it may take up to a minute to read the ecm. when it says "ecm" "done" then it is done. if it said that then disregard my post.
i hope that is not the vp but like blue said it more than likely is and i went through this same thing last year. it was the vp after all.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:05 PM

ok i rechecked the codes and i still only got the p 1693 p done and then waited and all i got was the odometer reading. i am going to check and try to rested the volts to the apps control this weekend.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I lost my last VP... electrical not mechanical failure, it would get a dead pedal and then blow smoke. If I would push in the clutch and let the truck come to an idle and then get back on the throttle, it would drive like normal for a few min and then have the problem again. I drove a 600 mile round trip like this and the first 300 miles there i averaged 19 mpg and on the way back as the problem worsened, i averaged 15 mpg. That was when I realized that something was wrong for sure. Truck ran better just after a fill up with colder deep tank fuel, or in the morning, but when it got hot, it would lose it's brain and timing as it would have no power and lots of smoke. I wish I owned a chip back then, wonder if it would have done all of the thinking and fixed the problem, but who knows. This VP has been tapped since 5K miles old and now has 35K and is running strong. Good Luck but my bet is the VP!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:08 AM

I agree with BigBlue.

What you have described sounds like the VP44 failing. I had similar symptoms when my VP44 died. Engine idled fine and ran good when the engine compartment was cool. Once the engine was up to temperature the dead pedal would become an issue.

-CM
Old 03-16-2007, 03:48 PM

so i drove the truck today and it ran just fine, no dead pedal. but i now know its a failing vp44 because todays tempature was about 40 degrees cooler than the last time i drove the truck. when the temp was about 80 i would get the dead pedal a lot. a few days before when it was about 60 it would only get the dead pedal every now and then and now thats its 40 out today i have no problem. so its the vp right?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:37 PM

just bumping it up still wondering if its my vp44
Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 PM

You need to barrow a scanner from someone or rent one at AutoZone. My truck died last week for no reason and the only code I could get using the key method was 1693. That code dosen't tell you anything until you get a scanner. I ended up with code 1688(A electrical failure of the vp44). I've also had a bad Map sensor give my that code too, so get it checked out while you can still drive your truck.
I didn't have any of the problems your dealing with though. Good Luck.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you blow lots of smoke with the Drag Comp off when it gets the dead pedal? If so, I'm certain your electronic side of the VP is dying. No brain in pump = bad timing and no power just smoke.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 AM

when i get the dead pedal it doesnt blow any smoke. i tried the have autozone check it and they said that the check engine light has to be. i dont think the light has to be on to pull the codes right? but its a waste off time trying to tell the guys at autozone that they are wrong. i think i can get my snap-on guy to use his scanner on his truck this week when he shows up though. but i was also think its the electonics of the vp44 to

Quick Reply: VP44 dead or is my APPS dead