General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Fords on Fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk about scary for the 6.4 owners, driving along everything's fine then all of sudden power down in rush hour on the interstate somewhere. I can see this causing a few accidents...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:45 PM

The software upgrade will reset the powertrain control module on the Ford trucks. In cases where the system detects unusually high temperatures in the diesel particulate filter, the control module will power down the vehicle.

The aim is to allow drivers to pull safely to the side of the road to allow it to cool before proceeding, Jarvis said.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking I have a question ???

How is ferd going to pin this latest software and pf filter disaster on navistar??
I can just see the toyota enginers rolling on the floor laughing and the bean counters getting reved up to cash in
If DC has any brains now is the time to step up the ads for the 4500 series!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:47 PM

Sure going to cut down on pollution, but what about all the forest fires that will get started? Sure would not want to be driving into a gas station or chemical plant when she starts the spewing fire !!!! let alone have it start spitting fire when near the manure pile!!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Banned

I think the theory behind the particulate trap is that soot won't burn at standard temperatures, but it will burn at the hyper-heated temperatures the traps get to when on "regen" mode. Then again, what does soot turn into when it is burned? Smaller soot that penetrates deeper into the ashmatics' lungs?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by MegaRam
Ford is recalling 37,000 2008 6.4 Super duty trucks because the tail pipes are catching on fire......

Dealers have been told to hold sales of the new trucks till "NEW SOFTWARE CAN BE INSTALLED"

We may just see one of the big three go under........
MegaRam - You sure beat me to the punch! Just saw this on the tube and got online to post and it's old news already. Good post! This may not be a totally good thing, though. Toyotie and Niss-ant are circling like wolves around a hamstrung heifer!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:58 AM

MJ007,
Thanks ...... It's big news for me... I was an old die hard ford guy... (drove fords for most my life ) when I sold my last truck, two of my friends were battling with ford over thier "JUNK" 6.0s I was not dropping that kind of money on a new truck with a motor like that.......
One of the guys just drove his New 07 blue Mega Diesel off the lot not 24 hours ago........
Old 03-22-2007, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I expect that we'll hear more about the high heat/fire issue with particulate filters from other companies as well as time goes by.

My next door neighbor (also a CTD owner) drives a gas tanker for a living and he commented several months ago about one of the trucking companies having a number of new semi tractors in at the dealership to have the stacks re-aimed because the high exhaust temp from the particulate filter was melting the housings on the reefer units. He was a little concerned about the prospect of dragging 8000 gal. of gasoline with a tractor that was shooting flames.

Of course, in perspective, does anyone remember all the grass fire and other issues when catalytic converters first came out on cars? Now we accept (or delete) them.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Of course, in perspective, does anyone remember all the grass fire and other issues when catalytic converters first came out on cars? Now we accept (or delete) them.

I well remember, in the early eighties, an elderly rich farmer drove his shiny new catallytic converter equipped pick-up out in the middle of a wheat-field being combined.

He shut-off the truck, got out, and walked over to one of the combines.

While he was away from the pick-up, it ignited the wheat straw, and started a healthy fire.

The old guy was out there, by himself, when this happened.

The fire burned three combines, a grain truck, the new pick-up, and spread to a barn full of hay and tobacco, burning it to the ground.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:21 AM

I was going to bring this up as well. So this is not a fix at all, it is a bandaid! How long before guys get tired of stopping every few miles when driving in the mountains with 15,000# behind them? I know about the second time, the stop would be at the Dodge, or Chevy dealer to trade up!

Originally Posted by Joe Diesel
The software upgrade will reset the powertrain control module on the Ford trucks. In cases where the system detects unusually high temperatures in the diesel particulate filter, the control module will power down the vehicle.

The aim is to allow drivers to pull safely to the side of the road to allow it to cool before proceeding, Jarvis said.

so lemme get this straight if your towing up a steep grade with say 6000lbs load and the "system" detects high temps the vehicle will power down wow thats a great solution
Old 03-22-2007, 10:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A buddy of mine is a fleet mechanic--mostly 60 series detroits. He jsut had a class on the new regen process. Cool thing was that they ran the truck for a half hour in the shop and he said he couldn't smell any exhaust. Bad thing was, when re-genning, he said much closer than 3 feet from the truck was too hot to stand--like a campfire under there!

edit: he also said the non-regen 60 series were getting 6-ish MPG at GCVW and the regen units are struggling to get 3!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hdmax
I was going to bring this up as well. So this is not a fix at all, it is a bandaid! How long before guys get tired of stopping every few miles when driving in the mountains with 15,000# behind them? I know about the second time, the stop would be at the Dodge, or Chevy dealer to trade up!
The 6.4L owners will have to brush up on the old Band-Aid commercial. "Oh I'm stuck on Band-Aid, While I'm stuck on the side of the road"
Old 03-22-2007, 10:57 AM

This is WAY MORE SERIOUS than I previously thought !!!! Read over on Diesel Stop for a bit ........... guys at Line -X getting burned by a 3 ft flame out of exhaust pulling it into garage , etc .... !!!! Ford has probably drove the final nail if you ask me ...... Ford USED to be the cats meow ....... now it's the litter box !!!!
Just think of all the government contracts they are going to lose , you think the Forestry Service is going to buy flame throwing trucks ??? Funny thing is they are slamming Dodge & Chevy ......... no probs like that from either brand from what I have heard so far !!!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned

Ford Fire On Roads Daily?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:22 AM

From the diesel stop :
"Maybe you could hook up a propane setup to the regen cycle and when you go by a Dodge, just flip the switch and KABOOOM!"

These guys have active imaginations but the only way they'd get ahead of a Dodge is if the Dodge was stuck in traffic and the flatbed towtruck that the Ford was on had a clear lane.

Quick Reply: Fords on Fire