General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Fords on Fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratat98
Wouldn't it be a little safer to just pollute the air a little more and take the particulate filter out?

Well said, of course if we did that we would gain power and use less fuel and the government would not be happy about that now would they? Besides we all know Diesels pollute way more than gasoline crappers!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:21 PM

According to the article it is the Particulate filter that is over heating... I wonder if the other manufacturers are going to have the same problem.. I would think that the particulate filters would all work about the same way..

Filter starts to get clogged and it goes into regen mode, A high heat mode to burn the particulates...

Do all the PF's go to the same temp????

Gerry
Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by gerry
According to the article it is the Particulate filter that is over heating... I wonder if the other manufacturers are going to have the same problem.. I would think that the particulate filters would all work about the same way..

Filter starts to get clogged and it goes into regen mode, A high heat mode to burn the particulates...

Do all the PF's go to the same temp????

Gerry
So the whole point of a particulate filter is to catch the particles in the exhaust, but it just ends up burning them when it gets clogged anyways?? Does that sound kinda useless to anyone else?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:26 PM

Wow, those new Fords are HOT!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try working on one. You will really be on fire if you are paying for it.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 PM

It'll be about a month before we start hearing about lawsuits because people are getting T-boned when their truck " powers down".
Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Diesel
The software upgrade will reset the powertrain control module on the Ford trucks. In cases where the system detects unusually high temperatures in the diesel particulate filter, the control module will power down the vehicle.

The aim is to allow drivers to pull safely to the side of the road to allow it to cool before proceeding, Jarvis said.

so lemme get this straight if your towing up a steep grade with say 6000lbs load and the "system" detects high temps the vehicle will power down wow thats a great solution

Yea, it's kinda like making the dog gone horn blowing and lights a flashing when your not in park... great fix too
Old 03-21-2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Beeram305
Wow, those new Fords are HOT!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went over to the Drama stop to read up on the 6.4L issues. Wow, they eat their own over there....

MikeyB
Old 03-21-2007, 09:21 PM

but we HAVE drivin millions of miles with these trucks and didnt find any problems.....just like the 6 oh no!!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ratat98
So the whole point of a particulate filter is to catch the particles in the exhaust, but it just ends up burning them when it gets clogged anyways?? Does that sound kinda useless to anyone else?
been kinda wondering the same thing. so it doesnt pollute alittle all the time, just everyonce in a while, pooofff, it burns out all the trapped particles. still burning the same amount of junk isnt it?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
I went over to the Drama stop to read up on the 6.4L issues. Wow, they eat their own over there....

MikeyB
Wow - you're not kidding. I was (and I guess still am) a member over there from my time owning a 97 F250 PSD. Some of those guys can just get downright vicious.

That said - I'm REALLY glad about how civil this board stays. Some of us might have disagreements, but it's 99.9% civil.

My thanks go to the members and the moderators.

Jack - I'll be sending my donation in the next week or so. It's way overdue.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by truckjunkie
Wow - you're not kidding. I was (and I guess still am) a member over there from my time owning a 97 F250 PSD. Some of those guys can just get downright vicious.

That said - I'm REALLY glad about how civil this board stays. Some of us might have disagreements, but it's 99.9% civil.

My thanks go to the members and the moderators.

Jack - I'll be sending my donation in the next week or so. It's way overdue.
My sediments exactly ... makes me proud to own this truck, just knowing there is such a supportive and positive community of folks behind you all the time. I really try not to be brand loyal, i just research and test and let the results speak for themselves...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I paid them a visit (I'm not a member) seems they have it all figured out. Its us Dodge guys posting this nonsense over there.Or at least that appears to be one theroy. Not a very nice place.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Man am I glad I didn't buy a Ford. I have had three of the 7.3 PS's and just ordered a new Dodge because of all the trouble with the 6.0 PS.

Thank you Dodge/Cummins!

I can't believe that Ford's fix is to power down the engine. That sounds like a bandaid if I have ever heard of one.

Quick Reply: Fords on Fire