General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Duramax vs Cummins towing video, Great viewing

Old 01-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by duratothemax
no not boost. drive pressure. The truck was stock as far as tune, so EGT's could still be "within normal limits", yet still place a huge additional load on the engine and cooling system. The dmax has an oil cooler that has coolant running through it, so when the turbo is getting hot its not only heatig the coolant, but its heating the oil to. The fact that its trying to cool EGR too doesnt help either.

Aren't you saying that the VVT is keeping itself more closed than it should be, so shouldn't it be acting like a sticky exhaust brake? The VVT's malfunction, so instead of always having a turbo just the right size, you always have a turbo a size too small?

Obviously his EGT's aren't too high or he wouldn't have lasted that long, but I don't see how a malfuctioning VVT wouldn't be causing excessive exhaust temperature...
Old 01-15-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't watch any of the video, but without knowing how long he has run the truck at 250+ degree over the months, or years has has owned it, there is no way to know if he has already distroyed the engine. Which would cause it to be under powered.

I do know from everything I have read here and a couple other forums, the guy is to stupid to own a drivers license.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

also, if he wanted to even have a prayer of beating GM, he would need SO much more evidence....

such as pictures of a clean air filter, intact fan, clean front stack, clean transmission fluid, oil up to proper level, coolant up to proper level, radiator hoses intact and not kinked, dex-cool is in the cooling system, and not a green stuff/dexcool mix, the list goes on.

he has no case at all if that piddly little video is all hes fightng with. Plus GM probably has more money for lawyers than he does!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Begle1
Aren't you saying that the VVT is keeping itself more closed than it should be, so shouldn't it be acting like a sticky exhaust brake? The VVT's malfunction, so instead of always having a turbo just the right size, you always have a turbo a size too small?

Obviously his EGT's aren't too high or he wouldn't have lasted that long, but I don't see how a malfuctioning VVT wouldn't be causing excessive exhaust temperature...

his EGT's were probably the most they could be for stock fueling. Yes I think its the equivilant of driving with the brakes half on. There are a lot more physics and engineering stuff in the theory than I know how to explain tho.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:49 PM

This is some kid that bought a truck he can not afford. Now he's being a baby and destroying it an attempt to get his money back or a new truck. I do not believe he knows how to operate the vehicle in tow. I know lot's of GM owners that are having great luck and fun with their trucks.

A smart person would back off throttle and let the systems live to modified as needed!!

Jeff
Old 01-15-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeap, no doubt about him being an idiot. I would never take my truck and run it hard even overheating. No doubt the first time you run it hot it will never be the same and continue to run hot until he fixes what he broke the first time. He shouldn't get any sympathy from GM. But it is funny watching the video. Hearing the alarms and he still has his foot in it. PRICELESS
Old 01-15-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
In the aviation world we call this lack of "Situational Awareness."
In the aviation world we have another saying:

"There are old Duramaxes, and there are bold Duramaxes, but there's no such thing as an Old, Bold Duramax"
Old 01-15-2007, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by UNDER-PRESSURE
Have you ever wondered what goes through the mind of a Dudy Max owner? This is a great video & Chevy should quote this owner for there advertising. Like a crashing Airliner, Today's Chevrolet!!

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...af013f4333.htm
Great video wish i could save it to send to duramax owners Thom
Old 01-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was impressed with the programming in the ECM, Knocking out the AC to reduce engine load, downshifting to get the RPM up for additional coolant flow and fan flow. All the systems worked right..

I agree with Begle1, If you add resistance to the exhaust system (vanes, brake, or small turbo) EGT's will be higher. Its physics, higher pressure, same volume= higher temperature. The higher EGT's are pretty much the only explanation for higher temp of the engine. The coolant is there to remove the heat of combustion (EGT) so that has to be hotter or there wouldn't be a problem.

What a moron. I don't submit to the huge difference in resistance of the load either. Air resistance would not be a defining factor. That old CTD was at a maximum 245hp/505 Tq on the stick or 235/460 auto. That DM was not holding up well, but kept running!! For once I can see how electronics help.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by jbjarko
Sheesh, this thing is slow, any other links for this video? It buffers every 5 seconds!!!!
Did you try clicking on the Windows Media link. Might be faster. I am sure it will be faster than the Chevy
Old 01-16-2007, 12:10 AM

I just have one question. Is that gauge panel he had something that would normally be in a truck? Was it a laptop? Could he have reprogramed the truck so it would run bad and hot? This could be a Dodge owners properganda? Just asking. I thought the video was going to show same year Dodge against the Chevy with same weight. But Funny how that thing was running
Old 01-16-2007, 01:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDave12768
I just have one question. Is that gauge panel he had something that would normally be in a truck? Was it a laptop? Could he have reprogramed the truck so it would run bad and hot? This could be a Dodge owners properganda? Just asking. I thought the video was going to show same year Dodge against the Chevy with same weight. But Funny how that thing was running
no that engine's ECT was definetly through the roof, you guys should learn the history of this dude and his overheating LLY. The ROOAAAARRRRRRRRRRing fan comes on around ~225* IIRC. Its a viscous clutch, not controlled by the ECM at all. With something like EFILive you can reprogram the levels at which the warnings come on, but you cant rescale the guage readings. (ie, what resistance of the sensor corresponds to which temp reading the ECM sees).

for example I could type a couple keystrokes load up a ECM calibration that would make my truck start dinging and saying "ENGINE OVERHEATED" in the driver info center when the actual coolant temp gets to 165* if I wanted to......but the guage would still only read the correct 165*.

The only guage you can completely rescale is the fuel guage...its kinda cool because if you install a second tank or an aftermarket tank, you can type some thingsin EFILive and reprogram the ECM so the bigger tank will read right. You can rescale other sensors tho such as fuel rail press sensor, MAP, MAF, vane position, baro... but those wont affect any guage readings.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
In the aviation world we have another saying:

"There are old Duramaxes, and there are bold Duramaxes, but there's no such thing as an Old, Bold Duramax"
Thatsa goody..... sad but true

I was banned from thedieselplace.com for incessant Dodge cheerleading and Dmax bashing. My how things have changed over there.

For those who have membership there.... it's free, there is a thread with a guy looking to buy a truck who is torn between a DMax and a Cummins.

This is nothing new EXCEPT 90% of the responses in that thread... on the biggest Dmax site out there, are pro Dodge and Cummins with a very large portion being GM owners.

My jaw dropped reading it. Hey Nick

Read it here

Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 AM

Everything has been pointed out already about this driver. Riding in the fast lane at 55mph (80mph speed limit no less, parts of our turnpike are still 55 near the metro ares) dangerously slow while videotaping guages and talking on the phone. Thats three solid things he asking his brain to try and multitask. Its hard to drive and try and film your guages, (i did it offroad only!). Right there he should be ticketed for reckless endangerment. In his video the start begins by saying this is a 2004 duramax owned by a dora, so unless his name is dora, he is flogging someone elses poor truck.
Yeah i love my cummins and wish it was that much better but there had to be something wrong in that paticular truck like some of you stated.

DURATOTHEMAX, the turbo you suspect as the culprit, is that an acknowledged possible cause for the dealers or are the duramax owners forced to find that info on the net? In otherwords, do the delaers do the same old "never heard of that before" excuse?
Im also curious how much coolant capicity there is in those trucks and then the new ones.

I can understand his madness, but not his methods. (or his reasoning that the dodge was an inferior product while hes struggling so).

Anyways great thread and thanks to our duramax visitors for ignoring a brand war and giving us some straight poop!
I have to admit though if i see a guy coming up on me in a duramax with a video camera, im scooting out of there right quick!

I almost wonder if he doing this just to lure in some customers for his cooling system.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 AM

I don't understand why the goof didn't have another person with him doing the videotaping.

He downs the Cummins on purpose cause he's ****** off he has a bum Dmax and by saying the Cummins is inferior it supposedly makes his issue look even worse.

I agree you can't judge the flock because of one bad apple but if it's a known issue effecting a large number of vehicles then they at least should have a more credible representative.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Duramax vs Cummins towing video, Great viewing