Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Duramax?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duramax?

Well, heres the predicament I have. I have a friend that I cannot convince to get a CTD. He insists on getting a Chevy. I am trying to convince him to get a durmax instead of a gasser. Have any of you had Duramaxes? I've read good things and bad. Opinions?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont own one but a good friend of mine has a Dmax He is on his 3rd set of injectors in 108,000 mile and this set is on him for a little over a grand he has had no other problems with it other then injector, the Dmax is a good motor ,but the same CO. who made are wonderful VP44 builds the dmax injectors. maybe a law suit should be filed against bosch who builds this junk!

let him get a gasser not every one needs a Diesel!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My aunt has a 2001~ish Duramax... Daily driver, runs fantastic, 170,000 miles, no problems.

I don't like them because they're so darn comptrolled. Everything on that truck is digitized someplace. Darn pedals are so sensitive that I can barely even drive it.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Chapter President

If he gets a gasser he better buy a fuel tanker to haul behind it! The escalades we have get 19hwy, 13city and that's just a 6.0L. I could not imagine having to feed one of those 8.1's or whatever it is....as far as how good it is...don't hang in the dmax circles, we are straight caddy dealer, but looking at the bulletins for an 05' dmax I counted 10 different problems then stopped counting. Go to this website, www.flatratetech.com

You can ask around there from real world technicians about their thoughts on the dmax. Been a member there for a couple years and they are a real helpful bunch....kinda like here and can give you an opinion on their experience with the dmax.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:05 PM

19mpg with a LQ9 6.0. That sounds like really great mileage. I am impressed. I figured that if you saw 15 out of one it would be impressive. Aren't they full time AWD too?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:03 PM

i've heard that Isuzu is involved with the Dmax in some way or another...............any1 shed sum light on the whole Isuzu thang??? Thx guys!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:10 PM

I hear the new LBZ is a monster!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 PM
VPI

I have an 05 fuel milage is not as good as my 03 Cummins was. about 2mpg lower. I am also runnign a bigger tire than I was on my Dodge though. Truck is very nice. In a year and half I have only been to the dealer 1 time for a surging problem that they could not fix. I am not that impressed with the Allison would rather have my 6 speed back from the Dodge. Over all I like the truck and it has not left me stranded or been in the shop for extended times. I would rather have my 03 Dodge but I could not keep it out of the shop. I think the Dodge and D-Max injectors are made by the same people. Over all I think his best bet is find a good service department and go with that truck.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:35 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

we have a sales man at work that drive an avalanche 2500 with the 8.1
Its something like 14 to 15 highway, less than 10 in the city and he drives like the old man he is...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:39 PM

Duramax is good. I know personally several folks that run em. One friend of mine has a fleet of em for his construction biz. I think CTD is still the way to go though
Old 06-12-2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
If he gets a gasser he better buy a fuel tanker to haul behind it! The escalades we have get 19hwy, 13city and that's just a 6.0L. I could not imagine having to feed one of those 8.1's or whatever it is....as far as how good it is...don't hang in the dmax circles, we are straight caddy dealer, but looking at the bulletins for an 05' dmax I counted 10 different problems then stopped counting. Go to this website, www.flatratetech.com

You can ask around there from real world technicians about their thoughts on the dmax. Been a member there for a couple years and they are a real helpful bunch....kinda like here and can give you an opinion on their experience with the dmax.

Not trying to start anything but i have never driven a 6.0 chevy gas motor that gets 19 mpg. 14 i think is the max i ever could muster. that was with cruise at 65 mph

wayne
Old 06-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wusthof
i've heard that Isuzu is involved with the Dmax in some way or another...............any1 shed sum light on the whole Isuzu thang??? Thx guys!!!
Isuzu builds the engine. It's a pretty good engine. I know a few people that have had them, a few injector problems, and cruddy milage (the best was 12 on an average tank, 8 towing 9k(after towing similar weight for Katrina relief with me getting 14, him 8 he bought a mega cab)) But all in all a pretty good engine.

I agree the pedals are way to sensitive Beagle.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by displacedtexan

I agree the pedals are way to sensitive Beagle.
SOMEBODY AGREED WITH ME ABOUT THE PEDALS BEING TOO SENSITIVE!!!

Oh boy, that just makes my day. Heck, I'm satisfyed with myself now... I think that I can just sit here in this moment, kick off my shoes, go to bed, relax a little...
Old 06-12-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
SOMEBODY AGREED WITH ME ABOUT THE PEDALS BEING TOO SENSITIVE!!!

Oh boy, that just makes my day. Heck, I'm satisfyed with myself now... I think that I can just sit here in this moment, kick off my shoes, go to bed, relax a little...
i think thats all new cheby trucks. my ex-girlfriend wrecked her car 2 days before christmas 2 years ago and the only rental she could get was an 05 siverado 4.8. i drove it once, hit a small bump in the road and my foot went down farther on the pedal, the truck excellerated, lifted my foot, truck slowed down, my foot went back into the pedal......... yeah, very sensitive!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by rebal
I dont own one but a good friend of mine has a Dmax He is on his 3rd set of injectors in 108,000 mile and this set is on him for a little over a grand he has had no other problems with it other then injector, the Dmax is a good motor ,but the same CO. who made are wonderful VP44 builds the dmax injectors. maybe a law suit should be filed against bosch who builds this junk!

let him get a gasser not every one needs a Diesel!
More like the EPA. Bosch is an awsome company. We take there prduct way out of spec and it still works for a long long time. All the complexity comes from emmissions regulations which causes the problems.

Quick Reply: Duramax?