General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Drove '07 5.9/48RE and '08 6.7/68RFE back to back

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Drove '07 5.9/48RE and '08 6.7/68RFE back to back

I've been wanting to check out the 68RFE firsthand and also get a good look under the hood of a 6.7L, so I decided to go to a local Dodge dealer and see what they had.

I first was able to drive a brand new 08 6.7L with the 6-speed auto. It was a 4x4 QC. What a great truck. I have to say, this 6-speed auto is extremely impressive. It may singlehandedly expand the Dodge market share a good bit because the lack of a good factory automatic has always been the Achilles' Heel (jmo) of the Dodge truck. The 6.7L also impressed the crap out of me. Honestly, I'd suck up the poorer mpg of the new engine because the combination of power and transmission performance is simply unreal. That trans always has the engine in the perfect gear-- it responds instantly. PLus, the 6.7L has that VGT turbo, so there's never any lag to deal with either.

For comparison, I found a leftover 07 5.9 Megacab 2wd with the 48RE and took it for a spin. Great power too-- but the superior trans in the 08 really highlighted the shortcomings of the 48RE. When you lean into the pedal on the 6.7L, the trans instantly downshifts and you are off. With the 5.9, you have to lean into a little farther because that TC is having to do the work of compensating for the lack of ratio availability. The 68RFE feels like you can "squirt" into an opening in traffic. The 48RE won't tolerate such spontaneity-- it can't operate fast enough.

So I have to say, the 6.7L and the new auto trans certainly impresses me enough that I'd gladly tolerate all the emissions bugaloo. The fact that the VGT can act as an exhaust brake is genius!

Now, the 6.7 was in a 4x4 and the 5.9 in a 2wd MC. So that leads me to the other startling revelations-- 1) the 3rd gens ride a LOT better than my 2nd gen, and 2) the 2wd rides a LOT better than the 4x4. The improvement in ride quality of the 2wd Mega compared to my 4x4 2nd gen is not even worth comparing-- they are separate solar systems that don't even share a sun.

I'd love to pick up another CTD and keep my 2nd gen as a beater. Honestly, I could see myself getting a 6.7L automatic in a 2wd truck and never modding a thing-- the truck is darn close to perfect right out of the box.

Ok, so some of my review is about 5 years late because it's common to all 3rd gen trucks.

But if you haven't yet gone and checked out that new auto trans, DO IT! The tranny alone is so good it will tempt you to trade in.

That is, until you see the sticker price and realize even after trade you'd owe about $30k! Yikes.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Justin,

I drove a buddy's 08 6.7 with the 68rfe trans and standard exhaust brake. IT was very sweet. That exhaust brake really is impressive...I gotta get one for mine now! You just let off the go peddle...and it starts slowing down without even touching the service brakes.

The trans was nice too. Much better than a stock 48RE. (I still wouldn't trade my now built DTT for one though)

If you just want a stock truck that is quiet and capable....the new ones are very nice. If you like to bomb them and play.....may want to stick with a 5.9 for now. My 2 cents.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the forums have given Dodge enough credit for these 07.5 and 08 trucks. Yes, there were some engines issues. But what an upgrade to a system. The new 6 speed auto is amazing.

IMHO, this combined with the new exhaust brake makes Dodge the most capable 2500/3500 stock truck made. The GVWR is ridiculously low for the truck. For the weight police: You have the best of both worlds, a factory exhaust brake and a selectable 6 speed tranny able to hold a large load down any mountain like a manual. The biggest problem hauling heavy with any truck is stopping and Dodge is the clear leader here.

Dodge made a major investment in technology and didn't even advertise it. Who'd have thunk it?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love driving my Dad's '07 MC dually with the 6.7L/auto.
Makes my '03 feel 'ancient'.

MikeyB
Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 AM

I have to agree with you guys....
I bought this truck because of the tranny! Yeah the motor is strong and has a few known and unknown problems lurking >>> But that tranny keeps you in the power and makes it look effortless!
As far a Mods... The only mods I am looking to do with this truck can't be posted in this forum... Of coarse for legal and national security reasons...

OG
Old 04-07-2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
I love driving my Dad's '07 MC dually with the 6.7L/auto.
Makes my '03 feel 'ancient'.

MikeyB
same here, I love driving my Dad's truck, especially when he's not in it . Then I get back in mine... and it's a LOT different lol.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:41 PM

You don't hear me complaining anymore do you?!?!?!

I agree with everything you said. Dodge finally got the trans right and the power of the 6.7 is great. I do hate one thing on this truck with a passion though!! There is like NO sound coming out of the tailpipe. That SUCKS!!! And I don't like it, but the emissions system really does work. I get zero soot in my tailpipe now whereas in the 07 5.9 if I sprayed water into the tailpipe I would instantly have black stuff all over the driveway. Anyways, the system does it's job but it will be great when it gets refined enough where it won't choke the engines down so much which is killing the mileage....
And yes, the exhaust brake is just the coolest feature. My mileage has gone up slightly the past few days when I decided not to drive around with it constantly on though...
Bluetooth is really cool too. The list goes on and on.......
Old 04-09-2008, 07:19 PM

I wish the 68RFE was offered with the 5.9...

Even though both the 5.9 and 6.7 were on the dealer's lot when I bought my truck, I chose my 07 because I wanted the 5.9 more than I wanted the 68RFE.

It was a choice I made, but I don't think there was a right or wrong choice. Glad to hear that the new trucks run so well.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:57 PM

I took an early buyout in 07 to get an 06 with the 5.9. However,I have heard good ... no great things about the 6.7 and the 6 speed.

I wanted the reliability and ease of modding when I chose the 5.9. I always figured with the extra expense of the 6.7L over the 5.9 will offset me building a bulletproof 48RE, that will handle anything I throw at it without the worry of the extra smog stuff ( which I am sure will be temporary

Just more of a personal choice of what I wanted not saying that one is better than the other