General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I went with the findings at bobistheoilguy's study and used b20 for 5 gallons a tank for a while. lift pump was definitely quieter, I noticed, but since I could not always get bio and PS was always available I just use it.

Where did you find the info?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Where did you find the info?
Diesel Progress magazine, not sure if they are online or not.
It's free magazine with a ton of up to date info on diesels of all manner.
http://www.dieselprogress.com/subscribe.asp

Another free one with a lot of interesting info is Machinery Lubrication magazine.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Page/subscriptions
Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I came across this Cummins Service Bulletin concerning fuel specifications for their engines. Pretty good read. Info regarding Fuel Additives is in there as well. Little snippet in there that mentions ULSD has lower lubricity than LSD...

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzE...WR2blY1dmJWTk0
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Little snippet in there that mentions ULSD has lower lubricity than LSD...
I imagine the line you are referring to is this one> ULSD has lower lubricity than LSD, so lubricity additives need to be added by the fuel supplier to prevent fuel system damage.

That's exactly what I what getting at, ULSD is required to have lubricity additives to make it up to par (and legal) but no lubricity additives are used with LSD, it's assumed it already meets requirements.

There is no argument that ULSD has less lubricity than LSD straight out of the refinery but once lubricity additives are added before it leaves the refinery it will have at least as much lubricity as LSD and possibly even more.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
I imagine the line you are referring to is this one> ULSD has lower lubricity than LSD, so lubricity additives need to be added by the fuel supplier to prevent fuel system damage.

That's exactly what I what getting at, ULSD is required to have lubricity additives to make it up to par (and legal) but no lubricity additives are used with LSD, it's assumed it already meets requirements.

There is no argument that ULSD has less lubricity than LSD straight out of the refinery but once lubricity additives are added before it leaves the refinery it will have at least as much lubricity as LSD and possibly even more.
I agree, however the additives are installed at the final distribution point, not at the refinery then piped thousands of miles. So essentially we are at the mercy of someone making sure they add the lubricity package prior to loading the tankers for street delivery.

In a perfect world I would not use any additives, but since I am not perfect I'll stick to using a mix of Howes and 2 stroke oil, my engine loves it.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not a response to the current question, but perhaps some will offer me advice. I purchased by 2012 3500 to pull my camper. I will likely not drive it much at all during the winter. Any thoughts on parking the truck or preventive actions I should take?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel

Cummins has laid out very specific fuel requirements in this document and the only way to know if the amount of lubricity additive (among many other factors) being added (as Hvytrkmech mentioned below) is adequate, is to have a sample sent out every time you fill up to ensure it meets these exact requirements. It is more cost effect to either go without (and many folks do w/o any problems) or maintain it by using a system cleaner/lubricity additive. I for one won't chance it and don't have the time to sample every time I fill up to ensure the current batch of fuel is good enough. My personal preference is the AMSOIL Diesel Fuel Concentrate and I have never had issues, I have been running it since about 4K miles (now have a little over 46K miles now). I think if you can afford to run an additive, then do it, your truck will thank you for it. If you never run an additive, then decide to run a cleaner/lubricity additive, I am confident after one or two tanks when your system is all clean and running good you will wonder why you didn't do it to begin with. For me, it is just a preventative maintenance that I can afford to do right now.

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
I agree, however the additives are installed at the final distribution point, not at the refinery then piped thousands of miles. So essentially we are at the mercy of someone making sure they add the lubricity package prior to loading the tankers for street delivery.

In a perfect world I would not use any additives, but since I am not perfect I'll stick to using a mix of Howes and 2 stroke oil, my engine loves it.
Not only adding, but adding the correct ratio. I heard when I lived in Montana, there were a few gas stations that folks recommended steering away from because water was being added so people would come back more often. I don't know how true that is since I always filled up at the truck stop, but I think it is clear in today's economy, anyone will do about anything to squeeze out every penny from their wallet and ours.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by SEKY3500DRIVER
This is not a response to the current question, but perhaps some will offer me advice. I purchased by 2012 3500 to pull my camper. I will likely not drive it much at all during the winter. Any thoughts on parking the truck or preventive actions I should take?
You can search "winter storage" or something like that for some past threads with good advice that address conditions and climates for storage.

I would definitely keep a bottle of Power Service 911 on hand for the springtime start up!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 PM

something else, I should mention that when I bought my truck with 43K I could find no record of fuel additives involved, but since my dad always used redline in his diesel I figured it couldn't hurt. Atr about the time the ULSD was being introduced so I think I did my truck a favor by starting early with the fuel conditioners.

I started off with Howes, then a few bottles of Redline I found in Idaho, after that it has pretty much been straight PS white bottle/red cap up til now. I usually get about an ounce to 3 gallon ratio. I hate to discuss my vp, but it is still goin well so I try not to worry over it.

I was thinking of contacting bluechip diesel and asking if they have any info/records regarding cores that they have broken down for rebuild and noted anything regarding those who know the history of the miles put on them/fuel suppliers, additives used etc....
Old 04-23-2024, 10:21 AM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
I splash a little Power Service in every time I throw in some wmo. I dont know if it helps but makes me feel better.

Fuel isn't branded here. The hundreds of thousands of litres we use at work comes from an Alberta distributor called Parkland. Same stuff goes to all the different gas stations. Even their supply varies - some has a green hue and is stinky. Some is practically clear and odorless. None of it is dyed. What shows up is what we get and the paperwork says its all the same - may contain 5% bio, and max 15ppm sulphur.